Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 11,912 times

Advertisements

My living room is facing west. Now I'm concerning the energy bill in the summer. What's the best way to block the sun? Window tinting or sun screens? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I did not want to impede my views in any way, shape, or form...so we went with 3M window tint. If your interested, one of their products is "suppose" to protect the windows from splintering in a hurricane...it is also touted as a "security film". We figured we were going to do it anyway, the added cost was not that much more. We went one summer without the film...Believe me it makes a huge difference! Our entire downstairs is done with it...I believe there were 3 or 4 color tints you could choose from.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:48 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2houston View Post
My living room is facing west. Now I'm concerning the energy bill in the summer. What's the best way to block the sun? Window tinting or sun screens? Thanks.
We put a solar shade on our living room window. It's great. You can see through it, it provides privacy when it's dark out, and you of course can roll it up if you don't have direct sun coming in. It looks sleek and cool (we got a dark color; good decision) and fits with our modern house. But I think they would look good in a traditional house, too. We got it at the Shade Shop on Richmond. They did installation; very good to work with.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:00 PM

36 posts, read 111,520 times
Can I ask who you used and if you would still recommend them and the product???

Old 12-20-2009, 10:12 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I have both film and a solar shade as I have several big windows. Used a company that sells some 3M stuff called Solar-x.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Just make sure it's not the stuff that starts peeling in the heat (tints).

Old 12-20-2009, 11:49 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I like this idea. Oildog, do you have screen AND tint? Screen alone isn't enough?
I really wanted to have roller shutters, but got quotes over $1k per window
what I find somehow confusing: you can get the same ( manufactured in the US) roller shutters in Germany for 1/3 price. They are very common there.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 AM

9 posts, read 25,088 times
Hello everyone, I was browsing google for a random topic and ran across these forums. I proceeded to the Houston section and just as I was about to leave this thread caught my eye...

We had this very same problem in our home and we decided to install solar screens in our home to reduce the heat. They helped some what, but we didn't really like how the windows weren't as visible with the solar screens as without. So we removed them and decided to go the window tint route. Honestly, this was the best decision we ever made on home upgrades. It provided for a more comfortable, cooler, feel during the hours that the sun was beaming down on our home. It also helps alot with the glare on TV's and what not.

We used a tinter name Fanor Lacayo that we have been using since 1995. His company is name Pro Auto Tint and he has done an amazing job on all of our cars and our home. Pretty much he is the only person I will go to for window tint.

Basically, my point in this post is that I recommend you tinting your windows. If you end up going that route I highly recommend Fanor at Pro Auto Tint because he does great work and his film comes with a lifetime warranty.

[Mod edit - 10 post to link offsite]
If you have anymore questions about the process or anything just feel free to pm me.

Last edited by Oildog; 12-21-2009 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 AM

9 posts, read 25,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Just make sure it's not the stuff that starts peeling in the heat (tints).

Oh and to add one more thing ...

The film that peels is the very cheap quality film. If you get the job done right with high quality film, film will last for 20+ years.

But the good thing with high quality films is that they come with a lifetime warranty

Old 12-21-2009, 06:31 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I like this idea. Oildog, do you have screen AND tint? Screen alone isn't enough?
I really wanted to have roller shutters, but got quotes over $1k per window
what I find somehow confusing: you can get the same ( manufactured in the US) roller shutters in Germany for 1/3 price. They are very common there.
I think there is quite the mark on on these items, when I went to get pricing from some custom shade businesses it was very high, but retail stores often had 50% off sales which told me there was still fat in the price. One reason I went where I did, is I thought I was cutting out the middle man a bit more...they will install but some of the others have contractors you have to hire for installation. I have a few windows that are over 60 sq ft in size, so it wasnt cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston