U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM

33 posts, read 104,230 times

Advertisements

We are staying in Conroe for a 12 days (when we first made the reservation with the timeshare company, they said it was Houston- come to find out it is an hour from Houston argh). We do not boat, fish or hunt. We have little kids. We will drive in to Houston for the zoo, Hermann Park, Natural Science Museum, and Children's Museum.

Anything you recommend around Conroe? The kids would LOVE to visit a farm, we would love to do some easy hiking (with the kids), maybe horseback riding or other activities around the area?

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS???? (activities, restaurants, parks/playgrounds?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM

408 posts, read 1,134,129 times
Check out the "Oil Ranch". I haven't been there in years but at our elementary school the kindergartner's have a field trip there every year.
Oil Ranch | Houston's Largest Guest Ranch

There's also strawberry picking nearby at the King's Orchard:
http://www.kingsorchard.com/

Also consider Burrough's park. It's a large county park that I think is nearby

Precinct 4 Parks

Or the Mercer Arboretum:
Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens

Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 AM

876 posts, read 1,015,512 times
check out this place. it is about a 40 minute drive from conroe. my 4 year old loves it.

Welcome to OldMacdonald's Farm Humble, Texas

Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks booker_one I was trying to remember the name of that place! We visited once and it's fun too.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,580,598 times
Depending on when you're visiting, there's a blueberry picking farm you can visit. It opens in late May. Moorhead's Blueberry Farm You'll be close to The Woodlands. They have their own children's museum and a branch of the HMNS there in Xploration Station. I'm sure there's other family friendly stuff to do there as well, and it wouldn't be so much of a drive for you. The Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau - The Woodlands Texas Splashtown and Old Town Spring aren't too far for day trips either. Since you have twelve days, I'd probably try to get down to the Bay Area to visit Kemah and Galveston, too, but that WILL be far. In Houston, be sure to check out Discovery Green. It's located in downtown Houston and lots of fun now that the spring season programming is underway. Also check out Miller Outdoor Theatre at Hermann Park.

Last edited by neotextist; 04-01-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 AM

33 posts, read 104,230 times
Thank you for the suggestions! These are all fantastic. 2 questions:

Is Discovery Green the same as Hermann Park?

Did I read correctly that you said the Woodlands has its own Children's Museum?

We are coming tomorrow, so I don't think blueberry picking will be in season, oh well! I will have to come back another time!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Discovery green and Herman park are 2 different areas. I can't answer about the museum in the woodlands.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,580,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boudicca2 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions! These are all fantastic. 2 questions:

Is Discovery Green the same as Hermann Park?

Did I read correctly that you said the Woodlands has its own Children's Museum?

We are coming tomorrow, so I don't think blueberry picking will be in season, oh well! I will have to come back another time!
Different parks. We were at DG last weekend when Travis Elementary in The Heights put on a musical, "Brother Tadpole," part of the Children's Discovery Series. Home in the Heights: Brother Tadpole musical set for Saturday It was fun. NASA had also set up a demo of its next generation lunar rover, which was neat to see. Aside from the usual park activities, you can also rent a remote-controlled toy sailboat or have lunch at one of the restaurants there. Bring swimsuits. The kids will probably want to splash in the fountains!

The Woodlands has A children's museum, not to be confused with THE Children's Museum.

The Woodlands Children's Museum (http://www.woodlandschildrensmuseum.org/dyncat.cfm?catid=438 - broken link)

Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM

234 posts, read 475,574 times
You need to go to THE Children's Museum. They just had a $35 million renovation and it's just the 3rd weekend it's been open since. I went last week and they have a lot of great new things for kids. Really fantastic.
Children's Museum of Houston - Providing Children Activities and Events for Family Fun in Houston.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:14 AM

828 posts, read 1,222,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boudicca2 View Post
This is not far from Conroe - and it says they are now picking strawberries!

http://www.kingsorchard.com/

The Woodlands town center area has gondolas and could be a fun area to hang out one day.

The Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston