Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 PM

71 posts, read 254,268 times

Advertisements

How hard is it to become a real estate agent in Houston? Katy? The Woodlands? and/or League City? Is it difficult to find a company to hang your license with after receiving your license? And is it fairly easy to combine property management with selling real estate in Houston?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:30 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
I really can't answer your question.

But why do you want to become a real estate agent when the housing market is so slow? There are houses that aren't moving, and I am not sure how current REA's are surviving on their commissions. And when they do sell, it's usually for a lot less than what the house is worth.

Might be better to wait a couple of years.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 AM

71 posts, read 254,268 times
Thank you for your response. I figured that I could start out now and gain the experience, so that by the time the market picks up I would be more knowledgeable than just starting out. I think I may be more interested in the property management side of RE, which requires a RE license. I manage our condo right now, however I do not have any other experience. Currently I am a stay at home mom and I would like to go back to work eventually, hopefully working my own business. So my income isn't entirely necessary but would be nice, and would hopefully be there in a few years. I did some research and if I want to have my own property management company then I would need to be a broker or at least have a broker in my office, and becoming a broker requires two years of RE experience. I just want to get my ducks in a row KWIM?

Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 AM

383 posts, read 1,589,845 times
Despite the recession, house sales rose by 5.1 % from January to February 2009 in the U.S (the highest since July 2003!!). Houston has got one of the most stable real estate markets in the nation.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Once you get your license it is very easy becasue you are paying your broker a monthly fee weather you sale a house or not. Lots of brokers welcome new agents. It is typically $100 per month plus your MLS,supra and HAR dues. It can cost you alot of money if you dont lease or make a sale every month. Plus you drive people around on your own dime and many times they decide to buy from the model,lease an apartment or cant get financed. You do not get all of the 3% either. Some brokers take HALF, but most take an 80/20 split. It is not as easy as it seems. But if you are up for a challenging job give it a go.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:26 AM

454 posts, read 1,585,583 times
When you say 80/20 split, do you mean, 80 Realtor/20 Broker? or the other way around? If you sell a $200k house, your firm takes 3% = $6000, and if you receive 80% of that, then you are looking at making $4800 net for that sale? I always though it was 50/50, but I am not a realtor, always been interested in real estate though. I studied architecture in college and I simply enjoy critiqueing designs and layouts.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Realtor gets 80 broker 20....some do a 50/50 split. The agent still must pay the IRS.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 PM

637 posts, read 3,235,968 times
[quote=Meeshee;8181363]How hard is it to become a real estate agent in Houston? Katy? The Woodlands? and/or League City? Is it difficult to find a company to hang your license with after receiving your license? And is it fairly easy to combine property management with selling real estate in Houston?

It's very easy to get your RE license...Too easy, that's the problem; the barriers to entry are way too low for this profession, that's why there's such public disdain for it.

If you want to be a property manager best to start studying Texas Landlord Tenant laws, and the Texas Property code; this will make for a much more rigorous passage to get through than obtaining your RE license.

Once you have a license it's very easy to hang it some where. Don't get the idea that you're begging some broker to hang your license at their office, rather they are chasing you to come to them. Like others have mentioned the splits can vary anywhere from 100% to a 50/50, with or without desk fees, transaction fees, and E&O Ins fees.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Super easy, Meeshee, come on down!! I got mine about 5 years ago and don't regret it, even though I'm inactive. It was very easy. I went through Kaplan, I can't remember how much it cost but it was not super expensive.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
There used to be cardboard-type signs all around Houston that said "Get your license in 30 days." I'm assuming if that still appiles, it must not be too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston