Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:09 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Walnut Bend median prices rose 4% last year and Briargrove park 6%. That is pretty good for an area some of you are comparing to Greenspoint. Westchase is not anywhere near as bad as Greenspoint or Sharpstown. I have been to that Mister Carwash many times and Bistro Le Cep and Fudruckers. I will certainly be more vigilant in the area but I have hard of things like this at the HEB on Bunker Hill, The tjmaxx on Memorial etc... It is all over Houston and esp now that we are in a Recession. I wouldnt call Memorial out side the belt the next Greenspoint and it is less than two miles from Wilcrest and Westheimer.
Someone compared Briargrove Park to Greenspoint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
I think you are right. I live close to that area and I certainly don't feel unsafe shopping or dining off of Westheimer. No matter where I go (considered "safe" or not), I am always careful to watch my surroundings. We live in Houston and crime happens everywhere. Houston in the fourth largest city in this country and I would certainly not want to hear that someone is lulled into a false sense of security because they live in a certain zip code. I would imagine that most people venture outside the confinds of their house and neighborhood.

My husband and I chuckle because my in-laws are "scared" of Houston and don't know how we live in such a place...funny thing...we have had no problems..they live in the country and have their house has been robbed/broken into three times so they installed a super fancy security system. Did I mention crime happens everywhere?

Where is the post about the robber (who had been shot by the police) who tried to break into Bentwood Elem. School (77024) yesterday?

Uh...my daughter goes to Bendwood, and we never got any sort of notification that this happened.

***edited to add*** Just saw the link to the story. The robber was chased from the NORTH side of I-10--he was breaking into a car at HCC--and ran. He was shot before he got to Bendwood, that's just where he was apprehended. He wasn't "breaking in" to the school.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6747202

Sure would have liked to have known about this from the school. However, it isn't the same as having a gun put to your head while your daughter is right there. Keep chuckling, MaybeSo. Hopefully that won't ever happen to you.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:25 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Someone mentioned that these apartments are getting close to their end of lifecycle days....but I keep thinking about those apts on Briar Forest & Kirkwood. They have moved all their tenents out twice in the past 15 years to renovate. Then the fill em back up with the same type of tenents. Where's the bulldozer? Please!
I think you're referring to The Bentworth.
I used to live in the apartments next to The Bentworth and it started getting pretty bad around the time I left in '06.
Of course I found AFTER I moved in that The Bentworth was section 8 housing.
Unfortunately I lived on the same street so when I would try to order a pizza as soon as they heard the word "Bentworth", they would refuse to deliver.
They cited multiple robberies on their delivery guys.
I hear that area is just getting worse now.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I think you're referring to The Bentworth.
I used to live in the apartments next to The Bentworth and it started getting pretty bad around the time I left in '06.
Of course I found AFTER I moved in that The Bentworth was section 8 housing.
Unfortunately I lived on the same street so when I would try to order a pizza as soon as they heard the word "Bentworth", they would refuse to deliver.
They cited multiple robberies on their delivery guys.
I hear that area is just getting worse now.
I thought Jim McInvale bought a complex there and fixed it up. But like I said before, that area has always been bad. It's nothing new.

We had some really bad apartments next to Briargrove(Winrock and San Felipe) up until 2-3 years ago. People killing each other, drug problems...all next to houses worth far more than West Memorial...They burned down....mysteriously. Now the BIGGEST,Megalithic apartment complex is being built. It looks like it has thousands of units. And it's now "Upscale."

Old 04-07-2009, 03:52 PM

ok, I now got the email...with the last name..........Um, she lives in Bunker Hill. I have no clue why she would take her 4 year old to a "You wash it" place up on Westhiemer and Gangsta.

I wouldn't even go to the U-wash it on Del MOnte behind the old burned down Cornelious nurseries by myself....much less take a kid that would be distracting me from keeping aware.

People have a right to go about their lives without these things going on...but come on.....this city is huge, diverse and the cops can always be watching little old you. There's my two cents on that.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM

363 posts, read 1,145,899 times
Quote:
Uh...my daughter goes to Bendwood, and we never got any sort of notification that this happened.

]So since you did not hear about it, you think others can't have information? I would be a bit concerned that as a parent I was not notified of this situation. Anyway, I am going from the story that I read.....the story said that he was trying to get into Bentwood which had been placed on alert and lock down....hence breaking in. Memorial Middle and Wildcat Way were placed on lock down too.

My point about the other thing was that I tend not be an alarmist. The incident that happened to this woman is beyond horrible. However, these incidents unfortunately happen everywhere. But as for some the posting above that speculate. That is not good. I am all for reporting true facts but tend not to give credit to speculations heard through the grapevine. Spreading hearsay, gossip...whatever you call it is dangerous and irresponsible.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
]So since you did not hear about it, you think others can't have information? I would be a bit concerned that as a parent I was not notified of this situation. Anyway, I am going from the story that I read.....the story said that he was trying to get into Bentwood which had been placed on alert and lock down....hence breaking in. Memorial Middle and Wildcat Way were placed on lock down too.

My point about the other thing was that I tend not be an alarmist. The incident that happened to this woman is beyond horrible. However, these incidents unfortunately happen everywhere. But as for some the posting above that speculate. That is not good. I am all for reporting true facts but tend not to give credit to speculations heard through the grapevine. Spreading hearsay, gossip...whatever you call it is dangerous and irresponsible.

That's why I said, "Uh...I didn't get notice" because I was alarmed that we were not notified.

I get your point, I do...but what are you talking about speculations heard through the grapevine? This was an email sent to me by a friend who lives in Memorial Hollow (and EA, I was told by Chris that this IS a Memorial Hollow resident, I don't know anything about Bunker Hill, but it's right there near BH...). I only ***'d out the names because I wanted to respect their privacy. It's a pretty tight knit community out here, and emails like this aren't spread around as "gossip". I certainly wouldn't post it here if I thought it was so, I can tell you that.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I thought Jim McInvale bought a complex there and fixed it up. But like I said before, that area has always been bad. It's nothing new.

We had some really bad apartments next to Briargrove(Winrock and San Felipe) up until 2-3 years ago. People killing each other, drug problems...all next to houses worth far more than West Memorial...They burned down....mysteriously. Now the BIGGEST,Megalithic apartment complex is being built. It looks like it has thousands of units. And it's now "Upscale."
That was the rumor but they have been renovated. Still the same type of tennants.
Those massive "upscale" will just be a big problem 15-20 years from now. The bigger the complex the more problems as it ages and has to keep lowering the rent until it turns sec 8. Thousands of sec 8 in one complex does not make a good neighborhood. We think these hundred unit complexes are bad now. Wait until these on Eldridge,Westheimer etc with their thousand units turn bad.
Plus the traffic! A Thousand cars entering and leaving these complexes at rush hour every day.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:55 PM

It's not gossip. Memorial Hollow/Bunker Hill. It's all mashed together right there.

But I AM very bored of getting these emails about other areas of town that aren't here. We know that we are a little island of non-crime in the middle of a sea of cr*p. Frankly, I more concerned about the biker getting shot west of here than being held at gun point up at Westhiemer. He was in a good area.......Stacy was not. Her encounter was horrible yes, surprising considering the area...well not really.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
ok, I now got the email...with the last name..........Um, she lives in Bunker Hill. I have no clue why she would take her 4 year old to a "You wash it" place up on Westhiemer and Gangsta.

I wouldn't even go to the U-wash it on Del MOnte behind the old burned down Cornelious nurseries by myself....much less take a kid that would be distracting me from keeping aware.

People have a right to go about their lives without these things going on...but come on.....this city is huge, diverse and the cops can always be watching little old you. There's my two cents on that.
Mister car wsh is not a you wash it. It is a they wash it

Old 04-07-2009, 06:08 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
My child is at Wildcat Way (next door to Bendwood) and he had a note explaining everything on his shirt after school yesterday. I't's nuts that Bendwood didn't notify their parents, that's plain wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Someone compared Briargrove Park to Greenspoint?

***edited to add*** Just saw the link to the story. The robber was chased from the NORTH side of I-10--he was breaking into a car at HCC--and ran. He was shot before he got to Bendwood, that's just where he was apprehended. He wasn't "breaking in" to the school.

Harris County Sheriff's deputy run over by burglary suspects - 4/06/09 - Houston News - abc13.com

Sure would have liked to have known about this from the school. However, it isn't the same as having a gun put to your head while your daughter is right there. Keep chuckling, MaybeSo. Hopefully that won't ever happen to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston