U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2009, 09:50 PM

120 posts, read 453,739 times
Lightbulb Telfair Patio Homes

Anyone living in (or knows someone living in) a Telfair patio home ? Hows is it like ? Does it have a small back-yard or nothing at all ? Front yard is maintained by HOA ?

It appears they are too close to 59 and is noise/pollution a concern ?
Appreciate advise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 08:35 AM

152 posts, read 365,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereItIs View Post
Anyone living in (or knows someone living in) a Telfair patio home ? Hows is it like ? Does it have a small back-yard or nothing at all ? Front yard is maintained by HOA ?

It appears they are too close to 59 and is noise/pollution a concern ?
Appreciate advise.
I have a friend who lives in a Telfair patio home (Darling). It actually feels like a regular home, about 2500 sqft, with decent size backyard. I couldn't see any noticeable difference. But I heard the yard size differs wildly depending on the lot.

I could barely hear the highway noises, so I'd say noice/pollution isn't a concern.

The only thing that my friend complains about is the high HOA Assessment fee (>$2000 patio homes vs. ~$600 in regular homes). The fee covers lots of landscaping works for the community, which (the builders argue) should make the patio home neighborhood look much nicer than others and enhance future property values.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 AM

35 posts, read 109,257 times
I live in telfair 70 section, that I thought it's further from 59 than the patio homes, but at night there's definitely freeway noise from 59. It's not really loud but comparing from greatwood where we live before, it's definite difference.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks revive.
$2000 is a lot of money for HOA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
I have a friend who lives in a Telfair patio home (Darling). It actually feels like a regular home, about 2500 sqft, with decent size backyard. I couldn't see any noticeable difference. But I heard the yard size differs wildly depending on the lot.

I could barely hear the highway noises, so I'd say noice/pollution isn't a concern.

The only thing that my friend complains about is the high HOA Assessment fee (>$2000 patio homes vs. ~$600 in regular homes). The fee covers lots of landscaping works for the community, which (the builders argue) should make the patio home neighborhood look much nicer than others and enhance future property values.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:39 PM

36 posts, read 76,849 times
The patio home dues are $1650, which is a little more than double what non patio home owners pay. But all front yard maintenance is taken care of. I have driven through other sections in Telfair and saw a whole street of non taken care of yards- it looked like crap. I'd be so mad if I took the time to care for my yard while my neighbor doesn't. I feel like it's money well spent, if you paid someone to care for your yard you could pay at least $35 on the low end for a small yard every week, so about $1800 for the entire year, and then you'd still have to pay HOA dues.

We are still building our house, but we have spoken with almost all of the neighbors on the street and none have anything negative to say. I'm sure you hear some noise sometimes when you're outside, but I wouldn't think you'd hear much noise once you are inside since the quality of windows and other materials are much better than they once were.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 AM

This 1650 is the HOA for every patio in telfair ? are HOAs tax deductible ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessen View Post
The patio home dues are $1650, which is a little more than double what non patio home owners pay. But all front yard maintenance is taken care of. I have driven through other sections in Telfair and saw a whole street of non taken care of yards- it looked like crap. I'd be so mad if I took the time to care for my yard while my neighbor doesn't. I feel like it's money well spent, if you paid someone to care for your yard you could pay at least $35 on the low end for a small yard every week, so about $1800 for the entire year, and then you'd still have to pay HOA dues.

We are still building our house, but we have spoken with almost all of the neighbors on the street and none have anything negative to say. I'm sure you hear some noise sometimes when you're outside, but I wouldn't think you'd hear much noise once you are inside since the quality of windows and other materials are much better than they once were.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 AM

5,308 posts, read 8,813,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessen View Post
I have driven through other sections in Telfair and saw a whole street of non taken care of yards- it looked like crap. I'd be so mad if I took the time to care for my yard while my neighbor doesn't.
I would think Telfair's HOA would be sending letters to those residents not keeping up their yards. If you see some really terrible yards, you might report it to the HOA.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:13 AM

109 posts, read 375,923 times
Quote:
This 1650 is the HOA for every patio in telfair ? are HOAs tax deductible ?
The annual HOA dues in Telfair are $650 per homeowner. All owners in the patio home sections have an additional special assessment of $1,000. This includes front lawn maintenance (43 visits per year) plus the use of a separate clubhouse for patio home owners. In previous years, the developer had to pay a deficit to cover the maintenance in this section, as $1,000 was below the actual cost of the lawn maintenance alone. HOA dues are not tax deductible.

There are four builders in Telfair's patio homes section: Ryland, Newmark, Darling, and David Weekley. Homes range up to 3,400 s.f. of living space. Although DW's site only lists floor plans up to 2,700 s.f., they are getting approval for plans up to 3,200+ s.f.

As far as freeway noise, I would say that everyone's noise sensitivity and tolerance levels are different. Some residents have said that they hear the noise (especially after the 59 freeway expansion completion and it bothers them), while others don't notice the noise at all. Your choice of floor plan and where your home sits may affect how much noise travels to your home. Obviously, the more open the area, the more susceptible your home would be to the noise.

The Telfair patio home section is very pretty and close to many of the subdivision's amenities. It is one of the most popular sections of Telfair!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 AM

So, does the quality of builder plays a role here ? (Insulation ??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiMBA View Post
As far as freeway noise, I would say that everyone's noise sensitivity and tolerance levels are different. Some residents have said that they hear the noise (especially after the 59 freeway expansion completion and it bothers them), while others don't notice the noise at all. Your choice of floor plan and where your home sits may affect how much noise travels to your home. Obviously, the more open the area, the more susceptible your home would be to the noise.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM

109 posts, read 375,923 times
Quote:
So, does the quality of builder plays a role here ? (Insulation ??)
Noise travels easier through windows than they do through walls, but yes, homes that are more tightly constructed will be more insulated from noise and other elements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston