Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:19 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
could you imagine how many people would call us racists if we came on here and said "i want to meet some white people to be friends with"?
He didn't ask "where we can find a brown people"...

..a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
could you imagine how many people would call us racists if we came on here and said "i want to meet some white people to be friends with"?
I suspect it's more culture than race.* Indians find American food really, really bland. Indians are used to dropping by unannounced to visit friends. That's not really the kind of thing your average American acquaintance of any ethnicity or race is going to be real happy about.

* Besides, if you divide the world into Caucasoid, Afroid and Mongoloid races, Indians fall clearly into the Caucasoid category, whether or not you consider Indians white.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quratulain View Post
Hi Neeru,

Houston is one of the very few cities in the U.S that has more Pakistanis as opposed to Indians. But there are still lots of Indians. Have you been to the Indian bazaar on Hillcroft? Lots of desi people though I'm not sure how one would go about befriending random people at a restaurant Theres an Indian mothers group thing I heard about a while back where a bunch of mums and their kid's meet up at a park. I'm from Pakistan and moved here from California 3 years ago and know how hard it is to meet like minded people from one's own culture, what to say off outside of that small subset.

I have an Indian friend who has a huge Indian circle of friends. They meet up for tambola and big dinners every few weeks. I could hook you up with her should you be interested.

Goodluck!
True but similar culture. Where did you live in CA?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 16,044 times
Default Hi Neeru

Hope you are doing well. I came across one of your old posts and wanted to send a quick hi. I recently relocated from Houston and from having lots of friends and a full time job I am finding it tough to meet new people in Houston. You very rightly mentioned that it is a bit uneasy to befriend people out of the blue.
You mentioned you are aware of a large group of Indian women so it would be great if you could introduce me to any new folks. I am originally from Chicago with two grown up kids.
Look forward to hearing from you
Neena

Old 09-26-2009, 12:57 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
That is exactly what I just thought. That's something white people will never get rid of.
This is especially true of white people ask for other white people with nipple rings.

Let's be real now, sometimes, people are just more comfortable with people with certain background and customs. I bet most of you won't be comfortable having a iguana as lunch and a cat as dinner. Some people do and they like to enjoy it with others who do as well. I personally, would rather just continue with eating my chicken and beef.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
Yeah, I would think Sugarland is your connection area.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:33 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,191 times
Do you know how to play cricket? Every Sunday at Lansdale Park in Sharpstown there is a game of East Indians & Pakistanis vs West Indians (Jamaicans, Trinidadians, etc) dressed in full whites with wickets and full set up. I'm sure you could have fun on the sideline smoozing anyway, even if you don't. Also, a few miles south down Gessner (just west of Gessner and Belfort) there is a big Indian Cultural center (The Jindal Center - maybe donated by the richest man in India? or maybe that terrible post speach opinion guy Bobby Jindal, gov of La.?? :-) ).

As my note and several others previously point out, I think most of the community is in SW Houston and close in Ft. Bend adjacent (Sugar Land), with the most businesses along Hillcroft. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Chickrae; 09-27-2009 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 PM

24 posts, read 42,201 times
Default Culture varies too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
I suspect it's more culture than race.* Indians find American food really, really bland. Indians are used to dropping by unannounced to visit friends. That's not really the kind of thing your average American acquaintance of any ethnicity or race is going to be real happy about.
Zhang is right. I'm a white person who grew up in a rural area, yet I too find American food really bland. I love Indian food, Hunan Chinese food, Mexican food and so on. In addition, I can tell you that when I was growing up, neighbors would frequently drop by unannounced. I never thought about it. Americans are just as varied as Chinese and Indian people. Culture in the north differs radically from that in the south or southwest.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,150 times
hi neeru...just read ur post... ru still looking for frnds arnd??if so do write bk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeru View Post
hi,
me and my husband just moved to houston from nj.we r trying to meet some nice indians and some good long term friends.it is pretty scary to be in a big city without good friends.
we live in katy at present.
thanx

Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
"Where can I find pleated dockers khakis on sale?"
Now, that's funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston