Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm6110 View Post
Txgal....it might be different because I am talking about contstruction from the ground up and you are talking about inventory. Inventory homes will usually have greater discounts as the builder has money tied up in them whereas ground up construction has less incentives to buy because the builder is not out any money and you sign a contract to buy so the house is essentially "sold".
True! That is why I was hoping a Realtor would respond. We can not talk to ours yet so I was just wondering. If they are steeply discounting it would open a entire new door of homes for us. We have no problem with the home price really it is just the taxes so we have to get the home price down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 AM

77 posts, read 469,311 times
Well they didn't budge on the initial offer that they gave us ($20K off base and $5K in upgrades), which I thought was a relatively fair offer. However, we did find out that only one lot in the entire development will fit the house and actually have a yard. Of course the lot has a premium that they are also not willing to budge on (kinda understand that one), but get this the kicker is that I had to sign a contract that is contingent on them letting me put a single door garage in because the company doesn't allow two single doors to be next to each other (potential neighbor already has a single door). How ridiculous is that?? Worst part is all the houses around me have single garage doors next to each other but they have to take this request all the way up to the owner. Kinda peeved at the company but I really love the floor plan.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,050 times
Eh... Having had lived with both a double door garage and a garage with one wide 2 car door, I can tell you I found the 2 door garage to be a pain in the neck. You have to park with tight precision... Worry about that divider in the middle... And heaven help you if you want to use any wall space for storage. Oh and you are out double the cost of an opener and/or repairs.

The garage door was not a deal breaker with our new house, but I am so much happier with a single door garage which allows me some wiggle room in parking

Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM

45 posts, read 391,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm6110 View Post
Well they didn't budge on the initial offer that they gave us ($20K off base and $5K in upgrades), which I thought was a relatively fair offer. However, we did find out that only one lot in the entire development will fit the house and actually have a yard. Of course the lot has a premium that they are also not willing to budge on (kinda understand that one), but get this the kicker is that I had to sign a contract that is contingent on them letting me put a single door garage in because the company doesn't allow two single doors to be next to each other (potential neighbor already has a single door). How ridiculous is that?? Worst part is all the houses around me have single garage doors next to each other but they have to take this request all the way up to the owner. Kinda peeved at the company but I really love the floor plan.
That sucks. Getting in and out of those double garage doors is a hassle.

I would ask them to take 5-10k off the lot fee on top of what they've given you or you will walk. They might just let you walk though, nice lots always sell, even with lot fees.

Or you could demand 5-10k off or a single garage door. See how serious their rules are~

btw I wouldn't have put the community title in your post. I'm sure someone from Perry reads this and they know that you're serious about buying. Not a great position to be in a negotiation.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM

77 posts, read 469,311 times
Actually I fully intend to walk without the single garage door, my contract states that. I really don't want to use a builder that can't work on something like that.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,717 times
I walked out on Perry. Not flexible about making some simple changes we wanted, plus I felt that while their plans are mostly great, you're getting a lot of square footage but not in areas where it matters most to us (I find their bedrooms too small while some of the huge second floor common areas are wasted space).

We went with Trendmaker instead and they were very accomodating and willing to make significant changes to make it "our" home. Few issues requiring follow-up, even after several years in the home.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 AM

102 posts, read 395,704 times
We walked out on Perry in March. This was an inventory home already built. They insisted on closing in 30 days. In this financing environment? Ridiculous. Both our realtor and our bank said that was impossible right now. But Perry wouldn't budge.

They also told us another couple was bidding on the house, so we raised our offer by $5k. After we realized they wouldn't negotiate the closing date and we walked away.....lo and behold, the other couple didn't want to get the house either. And now, 30 days later, the house is still on the market.

I'm curious if Perry's realtor was fibbing about that other offer. We'll always remember this when we build in the future.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,900 times
SPM6110. I posted a new thread just for you. "How to negotiate with a builder". Hope it helps.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 PM

9 posts, read 42,495 times
Sorry to hear about your difficulties Ready2Fly, we just purchased a Perry home there and had changes made (it is a spec house) without any problems. We have been working with Tim and I know he just started working PMR we are really impressed by Perry Homes.

Also, CanTex, where are your from? I just ask because we are moving there from VA and thought the bedroom sizes were big! Coming from VA we thought the yards would all be an acre too. HA!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM

46 posts, read 248,216 times
Tewcute,
We have decided to purchase a NewMark in PMR. Which section of PMR did you purchase in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston