Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM

77 posts, read 467,173 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any experience negotiating with Perry Homes? I'm looking to buy a house in Pine Mill Ranch (new construction). The salesman took off $20K right off the bat and added $5K in appliance upgrades. However I've looked at comps in the area and considering what two house sold for it's really probably only a $10K discount. Any advice on bargaining with this salesperson? Anybody have success getting something extra? What should I ask for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 PM

45 posts, read 390,285 times
If you don't have a realtor and have a realtor or lawyer friend you can get 3% off the price of the house just by listing them as your realtor and having them write a letter saying they want the their 3% commission to be taken off the final price at closing. It worked for me, the salesguy actually gave me the verbiage to use for the letter.

This works for buying any new construction, not just Perry.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:04 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,574,455 times
If you have an agent have him or her do the negotiating for you.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM

809 posts, read 3,555,030 times
Are you buying a completed home or having one built? If you're buying a completed home, just make an offer based on the comps. I wouldn't take the sales person's first offer in this market.
If you can close quickly and will use their lender, they should jump on any decent offer.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:47 PM

My realtor seems to think that is a good deal. I know he's a pro but to me it seemed like they just gave up too much at once before we ever really negotiated. I just feel that if they gave that up from the get go, there might be some left in the tank. I'm not trying to be greedy but I want the best deal. Also this is new construction, so I don't have the power of bargaining on a house that's been sitting.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 PM

410 posts, read 1,669,730 times
Hope your realtor advised you to get your own inspector.
Better to find out before then after.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM

809 posts, read 3,555,030 times
You'll get a better deal buying a completed spec over building from dirt. The lower priced comparables in the community that have closed were probably specs the builder was unloading.
I doubt you can get more money off on a dirt.
You could try to get an upgraded elevation for free or a free upgrade that you want.
Before you sign a contract, consider what upgrades you will want and find out the cost. Then maybe ask for some of them to be added for free (BEFORE YOU SIGN THE CONTRACT)

Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,574,455 times
Most builders are offering about $30K off at the moment and that's not including the other incentives they have tucked away under the rug. Your Realtor may think this is a good deal because the more you chip away at the sales price the less he get's after closing. Ask him to try a bit more to see what else he can get you. Good Luck

Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,247,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Most builders are offering about $30K off at the moment and that's not including the other incentives they have tucked away under the rug. Your Realtor may think this is a good deal because the more you chip away at the sales price the less he get's after closing. Ask him to try a bit more to see what else he can get you. Good Luck
$30,000 off MLS price or original pricing??? Maybe a stupid question but I thought that I would ask. There are several Village Builder homes we have seen and actually have noticed almost $50,000 reduction from the price they list on their site versus the price on HAR. In that case I know pretty much nothing further but say there is one that $297,000 on the site but on HAR $271,000. Is that the $30,000??

Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 AM

Txgal....it might be different because I am talking about contstruction from the ground up and you are talking about inventory. Inventory homes will usually have greater discounts as the builder has money tied up in them whereas ground up construction has less incentives to buy because the builder is not out anymoney and you sign a contract to buy so the house is essentially "sold".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston