U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 PM

9,629 posts, read 22,577,998 times
Default Toddville Rd Mansion and murder?

Anybody ever hear of it? In speaking with a friend today, she asked me...I guess since Toddville is just a hop away from us. I did find this on the net:

Chron.com | News, search and shopping from the Houston Chronicle

Haunted? Sounds like the stuff stories sitting around the campfire are made of!
I have to go do a drive by and see what sits there now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM

739 posts, read 487,747 times
I think it is a new house now, but I could be thinking of the lot next to it.

Used to be a massive house and it was impressive looking. Sad story, but I do remember it.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 PM

One article I found said it was a motel or condos now...trying to think where on the waterside a motel is. Unless that was misinformation. It did give an address. Sort of interesting, as when I was growing up back in NJ, there was a murder in town and the house was also known as the "List Mansion". DesertSun knows!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:42 PM

8,801 posts, read 14,372,567 times
Wasn't that the place that looked like a prision. Bars and all, like he locked the boys in. Ew

Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 PM

Found another article on some off the wall paranormal website...they mentioned the "Seabrook Demon" paced the halls as well!
This is the first I've ever heard of all this stuff!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 PM

3,701 posts, read 10,634,526 times
The "Murder Mansion" was dismantled at least 10 years ago or more (been a while, hard to remember). There are about 5 houses there where it used to be. Real shame about that. The place was pretty incredible. Built by a guy that had big investments in the steel industry, it was steel framed, had an inland section and a seaside section that were connected by an incredible glassed-in area that housed pool, spa, gardens, etc. including these giant wrought iron hanging baskets (3-5 ft in dia.) and had a walkway leading from the third floor of one section to the other that spanned the area (first floor was garage on one side and mechanicals on the other). The front and back porches were heavily encased in cast steel decorative pieces (not bars, more like vines but just as enclosing). The details inside were pretty nice too but vandals had done some damage by the time I was able to tour it w/ the VFD (just before it was dismantled). The fireplace surrounds and mantles were pretty intricate and appeared hand-carved along with some of the other finish work including this beautiful fountain as you walked in the front door. I have a fascination with architecture and have to say that building was pretty unique. BTW the vandals only made it into the building by cutting holes through the floors from the garage area. When I say the building was dismantled, I meant that literally...turned out to be a first rate recycling project to collect all that steel and some of the remaining architectural pieces.
The mansion was on about 3-5 acres of land, there was a large koi pond as you drive in with some pretty nice looking fish. I never found out, but I hope someone rescued those fish before they filled in the pond.
The reason it was never occupied again was that it was incredibly expensive to maintain for a single family and the city would not relent and allow it to be zoned multi-family. The other problem was that from the outside, it really was ugly...a brick and steel monstrosity.

Last edited by Poltracker; 04-22-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 27,687,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
One article I found said it was a motel or condos now...trying to think where on the waterside a motel is. Unless that was misinformation. It did give an address. Sort of interesting, as when I was growing up back in NJ, there was a murder in town and the house was also known as the "List Mansion". DesertSun knows!
Yes I remember the List murders well. That was your home town of Westfield. I worked right up the street from it. That house was haunted for about 2 years after the mass murder, then one mischief night, Halloween eve, the kids burned it down. Locals watched it burn and swore they saw the Devil in the intense fire.

I can remember for each of the 18 years he was free, on the aniversery date of the murders they would have a special on the news about it. They even made a full feature film that aired on Lifetime but remains unavailable for purchase in the USA. It was called Judgement Day which was released in 1993. John list was played by Robert Blake in the acting performance of his acting carreer.

I remember in 1989 when he was caught because of the TV show America's Most wanted and they interupted all broadcasting to cover the story. It was more important then when we found Saddam Hussien hiding in a hole. List died last March 21 in prison.

Man what a story !!!

John List - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The short version

John List, famous murderer - The Crime Library - Crime Library on truTV.com
The long version for those who love to read real life crime drama.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Yes I remember the List murders well. That was your home town of Westfield. I worked right up the street from it. That house was haunted for about 2 years after the mass murder, then one mischief night, Halloween eve, the kids burned it down. Locals watched it burn and swore they saw the Devil in the intense fire.

I can remember for each of the 18 years he was free, on the aniversery date of the murders they would have a special on the news about it. They even made a full feature film that aired on Lifetime but remains unavailable for purchase in the USA. It was called Judgement Day which was released in 1993. John list was played by Robert Blake in the acting performance of his acting carreer.

I remember in 1989 when he was caught because of the TV show America's Most wanted and they interupted all broadcasting to cover the story. It was more important then when we found Saddam Hussien hiding in a hole. List died last March 21 in prison.

Man what a story !!!

John List - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The short version

John List, famous murderer - The Crime Library - Crime Library on truTV.com
The long version for those who love to read real life crime drama.
I was in high school at the time. My then boyfriend ( and now husband) lived directly in back of the List house on the next street over. After the murders, being kids, the cool thing to do, of course, was to hop the fence and go up to the house. Many kids went in....I was always too chicken. I worked at one of the local banks and they were customers...in every Thursday nite. It was a real shocker to the town.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 AM

10,428 posts, read 27,687,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I was in high school at the time. My then boyfriend ( and now husband) lived directly in back of the List house on the next street over. After the murders, being kids, the cool thing to do, of course, was to hop the fence and go up to the house. Many kids went in....I was always too chicken. I worked at one of the local banks and they were customers...in every Thursday nite. It was a real shocker to the town.
I never went in. I just remember the graffiti all over the house. I do remember when kids burned the house down it was found that the ceiling in the ballroom was made of copper and gold. It was so valuble that if sold even in the 1970s would have set the List family up for life financially. But John List had no idea.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:51 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,567,747 times
Here's a picture of the house on Google Images. What an ugly place!
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ufyag2.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston