U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 13,056 times
Default Westchase and Katrina evacuees

I have read posts about moving to the area generally described as Westchase. Some of the posts are positive and others negative. Several posts mention the amount of crime in the area. A few that are from a few years ago mention Hurricane Katrina evacuees moving into apartments in the area and noticing a spike in crime. As of the time of writing this post, it is April, 2009. Are there still Katrina evacuees in this area? Is the crime rate still high? Which areas are better than others?

I will be looking to live in an apartment in Westchase and noticed several on Richmond near S. Gessner. Some apartments are more run down and others are more up to date and better kept. Are there any specific apartment complexes that anyone can recommend?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 PM

5,481 posts, read 7,294,966 times
I don't think you will have anything to worry about living in that area. crime is crime no matter who is committing it and it happens all over the city and not just Westchase. If your looking for the illusion of safety I would go with one of the gated communities in the burbs. You still have to deal with crime but at least you'll think your safe as you drive through those gates.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,696,535 times
I suggest heading a bit West of Westchase and looking at the newer Apartments on Eldrige in the Energy Corridor. I'm not a fan of Weschase, but take a look at the crime map and see if you are comfortable with the apartments in the area. Yes, there are still some remaining Katrina folks around.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:59 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,027,306 times
I would also call the Westside Police Division and ask them about the particular area.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:47 AM

2,215 posts, read 4,637,410 times
Richmond and Gessner ..... I would suggest not living South of Westehimer in that area. There is a new loft style apartment complex on Gessner between briar Forest and Westheimer that loooks nice and that is a better.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:52 AM

8,907 posts, read 15,129,905 times
I like the Eldridge area better for Apartments too. Newer, good grocery store and a couple nice places to eat,and close to the Terry Hershey Park Access.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 11,500 times
Eldridge area might be better/pretty, but its pretty crowded over there and traffic is very bad. I am in Westchase outside the belt on Westheimer. I like this part because I have Randall's, Whole Food, H-E-B, and Walmart all within 2 blocks. I have nice places to eat, and its very easy to access the Beltway (1 mile away) and I can get to the WP Tollway in less than 5 minutes. As you can tell I prefer convience over pretty. The complex is a luxury complex, and I love the attached garage, just dont like the price, but you get what you pay for.
If I was to move to the Energy Corridor, I would have to move close to I-10 just to have fast access to a highway. And not spend the majority of my commute in local traffic.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,235,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_to_move999 View Post
Are there still Katrina evacuees in this area? Is the crime rate still high? Which areas are better than others?
They are residents of Houston now, they've been here 2005 no more evacuees because the pay into the city use city services, and most New Orleans(Louisiana people) are spread among the entire city (south to north and places in between), thousands of Louisiana plates all on the roads.

There are good places to stay in Westchase, the best thing is to talk with management of the place your interested and just do some research and driving around where you want to live, you get a better feel and make a wise decision.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:50 AM

54 posts, read 95,148 times
It's 2009. Can we still blame Katrina for crime? When are we going to let that go?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM

1,290 posts, read 3,427,403 times
Anywhere there are huge collections of low to mid priced apartments: there will be more crime. Its not one group or another, its the dense population of lowcost housing that drives crime rates up.

When they publish the hotspot crime maps of Houston from time to time, there are always hotbeds of criminal activity in the areas with thousands of apartment units. The Greenspoint area is a good example of a historically good part of town (early 80s) being devalued and destroyed by the introduction of tens of thousands of low priced apartment units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston