Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 07:08 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,303 times

Advertisements

Researching on where to purchase our next home and there are a few choices in Walden and we have known people who have lived in this community but our big question is is what is the deal with the low property values of these homes? It is appealing seeing as taxes are lower but makes us wonder if a home in there would be a good investment say 10 years down the road. We know that their are still people building custom homes in there and there are some beautiful ones but we are just baffeled as to way this is. You would think if it was such a great community property values would be higher. We are basing this off of Hcad which we know is just for tax purposes and not market value but even so they are still lower than surrounding communities in the same area.
Thanx for any insight. We would love to hear form those who live or have lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
oops. I thought you were talking about Walden on Conroe. But yeah, even they aren't that expensive

Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
oops. I thought you were talking about Walden on Conroe. But yeah, even they aren't that expensive
hehehe. I see that is a coomon mistake on here.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,532 times
Walden on Lake Houston is an established golf course community that has affordable prices. Values do hold but just have never been over-inflated so you would most likely see the typical long term growth that the central US and Texas markets see. There is a lot of new construction around this area and it's a little tough to compete against that right now with resale. Although there will be the occasional dips you see now, there is mid to long term potential in this neighborhood ... and yes, it's one of the best tax rates around.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
I have to agree with Nancy-in-Kingwood. You have to remember that the communities like ES, SW, and Fall Creek are new communities. Summerwood is probabably the most established of those that I just listed.

(The following do not include for sale by owner homes)

~ Walden as a total of 55 homes for sale

~ Eagle Springs has over 100+ homes for sale

~ Summerwood has over 100+ homes for sale

~ Fall Creek has 96 homes for sale

Walden is not that much smaller than any of these other communities. This just tells me that ES, SW, and Fall Creek have overinflated housing prices, and people who moved in when rates were low, and got the variable interest rates and what not, can't afford to live there anymore. Where as Walden has a lower home base price, thus people who live there can actually afford their homes.

Walden was started way back in the early 1980's. Then there was the oil bust, and homes stopped being built. Then they restarted in the late 90's or so. So the home values were never inflated like the new ones in the newer communities. But this isn't a cookie cutter community for sure!! You can see all types of houses here in Walden. Victorian, ranch style, new modern ones, funky 80's ones...

As you know, I LOVE ES and SW. But I still think that their homes are a little over priced. At the end of the day you have to look at what the community offers in terms of amenities, schools, and convenience for your family. But I know you have been struggling with this decision for a while!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy_in_Kingwood View Post
Walden on Lake Houston is an established golf course community that has affordable prices. Values do hold but just have never been over-inflated so you would most likely see the typical long term growth that the central US and Texas markets see. There is a lot of new construction around this area and it's a little tough to compete against that right now with resale. Although there will be the occasional dips you see now, there is mid to long term potential in this neighborhood ... and yes, it's one of the best tax rates around.
Thanx Nancy! We are just wanting the most info we can gather so we can make the most informed decision next month! When you only get a few days to buy a home it can be rough. Thanx again!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I have to agree with Nancy-in-Kingwood. You have to remember that the communities like ES, SW, and Fall Creek are new communities. Summerwood is probabably the most established of those that I just listed.

(The following do not include for sale by owner homes)

~ Walden as a total of 55 homes for sale

~ Eagle Springs has over 100+ homes for sale

~ Summerwood has over 100+ homes for sale

~ Fall Creek has 96 homes for sale

Walden is not that much smaller than any of these other communities. This just tells me that ES, SW, and Fall Creek have overinflated housing prices, and people who moved in when rates were low, and got the variable interest rates and what not, can't afford to live there anymore. Where as Walden has a lower home base price, thus people who live there can actually afford their homes.

Walden was started way back in the early 1980's. Then there was the oil bust, and homes stopped being built. Then they restarted in the late 90's or so. So the home values were never inflated like the new ones in the newer communities. But this isn't a cookie cutter community for sure!! You can see all types of houses here in Walden. Victorian, ranch style, new modern ones, funky 80's ones...

As you know, I LOVE ES and SW. But I still think that their homes are a little over priced. At the end of the day you have to look at what the community offers in terms of amenities, schools, and convenience for your family. But I know you have been struggling with this decision for a while!
Struggling...who is struggling! You are a well of info there! Useful info at that! Me just useless info none the less thanx! I will have to pas it all on to hubby. He is frustrated right now because not even ES speaks to him. Hopefully that will change once we actually get to walk and talk with the Realtor. It is hard gathering a bunch of info on your own but again with only days to buy a home we have no other choice that and we like to see what others have to say instead of just relying on one source ie Realtor. Not that we do not trust them we just like the different perspectives.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:13 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
Nothing in the world wrong with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: