Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:18 PM

21 posts, read 120,503 times

Advertisements

Help -- I've searched the forums for information on furniture stores, but the opinions are all over the place. Has ANYONE had a positive experience with Rooms to Go? We live in the Woodlands, and the new store is very convenient for us, but it's not worth the convenience if the quality is that terrible. I've seen Star mentioned as a higher quality option.

If you have any suggestions for furniture stores in North Houston/The Woodlands, I would love your help! Looking to get a living room set, leather sectional for the family room and entertainment center. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,385 times
Louis Shanks at 1960 & 45 is the higher end furniture store for the area, with prices that generally reflect that.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:12 PM

191 posts, read 772,918 times
Default Positive Experiences with Rooms To Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by widallas View Post
Help -- I've searched the forums for information on furniture stores, but the opinions are all over the place. Has ANYONE had a positive experience with Rooms to Go? We live in the Woodlands, and the new store is very convenient for us, but it's not worth the convenience if the quality is that terrible. I've seen Star mentioned as a higher quality option.

If you have any suggestions for furniture stores in North Houston/The Woodlands, I would love your help! Looking to get a living room set, leather sectional for the family room and entertainment center. Thanks!
We recently bought both Children's and Living Room Furniture at Rooms To Go in Stafford and our experiences were very positive.

We had a horrible experience at Ashley's Furniture. We waited 8 weeks for furniture that was suppose to be delivered a couple of days after we purchased it. Everytime I called the store I got another excuse on why the furniture would not be delivered. Finally got feed up after 8 weeks of excuses and their lack of customer service, so we went elsewhere to purchase the rest of the furniture we needed.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,500 times
Widallas, it would be worth your while (and the drive) to go to Dickinson and check out Sussan Furniture. We were WAY more than pleased with the quality and selection.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,252 times
Louis Shanks does have sales and clearance items. If you have time and patience, you may want to keep an eye on these. Otherwise, it's very expensive.

From a recent shopping experience at the store off I-45 in Spring/Woodlands area, I was surprised that Star does carry some low quality items. For example, the "wood" finish in some bedroom sets was peeling off! It had a lower price, and the quality reflected that. In other words, just because it came from Star it doesn't mean it's top quality. They do have beautiful furniture. You can get some decorating assistance from Star while making your selections.

Ethan Allen is another option as well.

Once you have done some shopping and know prices for various name brands, check out The Dump http://www.thedump.com/ off I-45 and West Road (just south of Beltway 8). It can be luck of the draw, but they DO have major brand, quality furniture at unbelievable prices. They offer delivery and set up of your items (they delivered when they said they would). At times, they have free delivery offers. I was surprised recently at the types of items they do carry. Sometimes the item on the sales floor is the only one left, sometimes they have stock of that item in their warehouse. They are only open Friday/Saturday/Sunday to keep their overhead costs low. You have 7 days to decide whether you want to keep the items you purchased or not (double check this for upholstered items). Restocking fees apply on returns.

Good luck!

Last edited by HTownNearNative; 04-27-2009 at 12:02 AM..

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 AM

214 posts, read 724,808 times
After looking at serveral different stores (The Dump, Fingers, Rooms to Go, Star, etc) we ended up buying a living room and theater room package from Rooms To Go. They have some quality items while other items lack....take your time with any of the stores/funiture

Star carried some beautiful furniture but was just out of our price range..

I can't comment on Ethan Allen or Louis as that is a little rich for my bank account!

You can also come across some deals on craigslist if you have time/patience...

good luck!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
I walked into Rooms to Go and did a quick turn around back out the door
Louis Shanks and Ethan Allan if your looking for quality furniture. Star does have some good stuff...You just have to look for it, as they carry some "not so good stuff" as well.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
When I was shopping for my cabin I went into RTG, and then quickly turned right around. I knew I wanted cheaper stuff but come'on.

I actually got a nice sectional sofa and all the matresses at Star. Everything else I ordered off the internet for up there. It's amazing how the same item can have a price spread of 500 dollars or so.

I saw the Louis Shanks and Gallery Furniture truck in The Woodlands all the time.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
RTG is middle grade when it comes to price & quality. It seems to range from low-middle to high-middle, between the highest-end Ikea and Star.

Things looked good there for us because we don't plan on keeping the same furniture for more than ~10 years anyway. And to be honest, a $3,500 bedroom set has the same basic functionality as Star's $7,500 set (i.e. the mirror isn't warped and the drawers slide in & out). But the reason we did the in & out was due to the high pressure sales tactics, complete with vultures following you around the entire store.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 AM

70 posts, read 234,268 times
What about Gallery? I hear that guy on the radio ALL THE TIME. Sometimes 2 ads on 2 different stations at the same time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston