Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,856 times

Advertisements

All we have is internet and 'basic' digital cable that isn't very good anyway. We don't even have a digital recorder . Not worth $100+ to me.

I live in the Pasadena/Deer Park area... any suggestions of other companies for tv or internet? Actually, I'd really like to get Dish Network for tv so internet access is the most important, but open to suggestions for tv service also.

Thanks a lot, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 AM

47 posts, read 146,870 times
Yes, thats an outrageous rate, is that for Internet as well? Were currently paying 80 dollars for internet and a basic, digital HD service. We were paying around 130 until I called them and said I wanted to cancel the TV and keep the Internet service, they send you to their "retention" department where they haggle with you and eventually give you the same plan for up to 50 dollars less. You have to be firm and insistent and act like you really do want to cancel. They will come down. They would rather get something out of you than nothing.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 AM

Yeah, we started out on a 1 year discount rate or some such, but now they are about to hike up the price. I may try your method. Anyone know how much DSL costs for interweb access only?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:06 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,259 times
I'd definitely check out att uverse. You can get some good package(cable+internet) deals with them. I have them and think it's great.
www.uverse.att.com

Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
I enjoy DISH except their DVR is weak compared to a TIVO but I can live with it.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 PM

dcoolbro: Thanks, I will check that out.

chris_ut: I bought a TIVO, then I found out that you have to pay a fee every month to use it and can't just record stuff like a VCR. Some people would call that smart marketing, forcing people to pay you after they buy the equipment. I call it crap and say screw them. Yes, I'm a little bitter. Obviously, I threw it off the top of my building; the TIVO is now at peace.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:32 PM

182 posts, read 768,629 times
Get DirecTV. I'm sure DISH isn't bad either (and they do package that with DSL, which might be a way to go) but I don't have many complaints about Directv. Comcast Houston is the WORST company in the history of this planet. I'd rather invest my money with Bernie Madoff than spend it on Comcast Cable TV.

It can get a little pricy with High-Def DVR service but it's reasonable with just your basic cable which it seems you have now. (By the way, if you do decide to go that way send me a Private Message, i'll refer you and we'll both get $100!)

Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
I switched last year from Comcast to DirectTV when we moved into our new house. I'm very happy with the switch. However, if your only problem with Comcast is the cost, then call them up and tell them you want to disconnect service. They'll put you through to someone who will start throwing deals your way to stay on with comcast.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
TIVO is like $13 a month I think or it was when I had it which isn't exactly highway robbery. They have to maintain the digital feeds to keep your channel guide up to date and such so it isn't exactly a scam or anything. I miss my tivo .

Old 04-29-2009, 06:18 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times
Uverse sucks.. period..

Cancel your Comcast service and sign up for a new service contract, then you get the discounts all over again, OR you can become a business customer (small business in home) and you will get discounts that add up each month and make it worth keeping.. <- this is what I do....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston