U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Texas: Houston, cheap houses, realtor, tax help, real estate.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 PM

2,703 posts, read 244,967 times
Hell yeah, I live in one (as do you).

Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,348,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Hell yeah, I live in one (as do you).
Well, yeah I do, but that's not what I meant when I said that Los Angeles had a lot on Texas. A lot of people think that a better city is a city that has more. What I believe people really want to know is what is unique about that city that makes it better to them.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:08 PM

2,703 posts, read 244,967 times
Los Angeles is as unique as you can get. That city has many varieties of people, culture, languages. On one side of the road, you will see huge mansions, then on the other, you will see shacks (some resembling third world countries).

Old 04-07-2007, 10:08 PM

321 posts, read 1,031,850 times
Default racial tensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Only in some ways. Come on now let's be fair. Los Angeles does have a lot on Texas. For one it doesn't get as hot as it does here, and there is a little racial tension in this state and it kind of boils under the surface.
LA had the horrific zoot suit riots and Rodney King riots.., LA is FAR more racist and biggoted than Houston ever could be. I am fair... LA is a pressure cooker about to blow every 15 yrs or so. Read up the riots on the internet... also Cleveland is horrific as is St Louis. I have seen more racism in NYC than I have in Houston.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:10 PM

321 posts, read 1,031,850 times
Default Racial tensions

I could NEVER live in LA knowing the race riots which occurred and the horrific earthquakes, mudslides, fires, massive police chases, the Lack of honor or sincerity in the state as a whole.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:32 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,348,674 times
Quote:
Los Angeles is as unique as you can get. That city has many varieties of people, culture, languages. On one side of the road, you will see huge mansions, then on the other, you will see shacks (some resembling third world countries).
Yeah, but see that right there is what I'm talking about. There's no such thing as being more unique. Each place has its own personality. Some Los Angeles residents could care less about its variety, but may love its weather that is perfect to them.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 PM

300 posts, read 1,378,521 times
Default racism is everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
LA had the horrific zoot suit riots and Rodney King riots.., LA is FAR more racist and biggoted than Houston ever could be. I am fair... LA is a pressure cooker about to blow every 15 yrs or so. Read up the riots on the internet... also Cleveland is horrific as is St Louis. I have seen more racism in NYC than I have in Houston.
I am an African American woman boomer currently living in the SF Bay Area. I grew up on the East Coast -- in Massachusetts-- have lived in NYC, Philadelphia, Chapel Hill, North Carolina and Los Angeles. My spouse and I are considering a move to Houston. Everywhere I've lived I've encountered racism, prejudice, and bigotry. What's different is the way that the racism, prejudice, and bigotry are manifested. Having grown up in Massachusetts, I was familiar with the particular brand of racism in that
Commonwealth, but when I moved to NYC, Philadelphia, North Carolina, Los Angeles and now the SF Bay area, I experienced different kinds--different manifestations-- of racism than I was used to in Massachusetts. Many African Americans, who have grown up in the SF Bay believe that this area is less racist, prejudiced, and bigoted, but I haven't found that to be the case.
Just as the weather, the way people show their friendliness, the emphasis they place on church attendance differ in various parts of the country, the way racism, prejudice, and bigotry manifest themselves varies by location. And the particular brands of racism, prejudice, and bigotry one has grown up with often feels the most normal (if racism, prejudice and bigotry can ever be seen as normal), perhaps because one learned how to cope with them, and by comparison the other brands seem more onerous.
I assume that Houston has problems with racism, prejudice, and bigotry and that if my spouse and I move to Houston, we'll learn about them and adapt to them. I don't think that is it makes sense to argue about whether Houston is more racist than LA or vice versa. The way racism manisfests itself in these two cities or in any other areas of the country is just different.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:12 AM

42 posts, read 131,153 times
Quote:
Los Angeles has a lot on Texas. Its larger than Dallas and Houston's metro put together. I would live (when I get older) there if prices weren't so outrageous. I do love Texas, though. Houston is my city. Cheaper homes, friendly people, and a lot going on.
I have lived in California most of my life. I would lay in bed during earthquakes when I got older. Even after being drilled in the 60s of standing under a doorway during an earthquake. I come from the Imperial Valley where it gets over 120 f. in the shade during the summer. It ain't hell... but you can see it from there

And during my service to my country, I survived San Antonio during Feb. through April. I took a bus to my tech school located in Wichita Falls, TX. I survived the wind blowing the rain sideways, lighting hitting buildings and people. Then I went to Spokane, WA. I survived the snow by adding snow tires to my dune buggie. (Volkswagen). Then I drove my VW to Seattle to have it shipped to Lakenheath, England. There I survived the snow in April, the cold, damp, foggie bone hurting weather almost year round.
After driving on the wrong side for 3 years, I picked up my VW at Bayonne, NJ. After an 9 hour flight and jet lagged. I almost made a left turn into incoming traffic thinking I was still in England. I drove back to Wichita Falls to survive Tornado alley, rain going sideways, lighting striking upwards and sideways and snow. Yes snow! Yes I was a desert fox that became an expert at driving in the snow.
And about commutes. You don't know what a commute is. I lived in Northridge, CA. (North of LAX) and commuted to Oceanside, CA. Two hours in traffic to Oceanside and it took three hours to get back, because I would catch the 5 o'clock traffic. I would not get home till 8:00 p.m. and that would not give me too much time to be with my newborn baby girl, because I had to be in bed by 10:00 p.m. or else I would fall asleep during my commute. Do you know what it is like to be caught in traffic for 3 hours? Well to relieve the stress of commuting for long distances, I just convinced myself that I had to drive that distance until I move closer to my job with the County of San Diego. So once that happened, I played a game of seeing every day which cars I would recognize from previous days. And believe it or or not, there were other people doing it also that we started waving at each other during our trips.
So when we went on vacation to San Francisco and to the acuarium in Monterey, CA., the drive was a breeze.
I love the climate where I live, the earthquake and fires and stingrays and people don't bother me. California is my backyard. But Houston is where my family wants to go, so be it. So if I was able to survive every other place I lived in, I can survive Houston. People asked why I lived in the desert where it got to 120 degrees. I was born and raised there. And if Houston has so many buts, what are Houstonians doing there? Same question is for every city. Why are you there or why are you moving there?
I know why we are planning to move there. I just hope to make "Amarillo by Moring." LOL

Old 04-08-2007, 02:21 AM

42 posts, read 131,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneknowsmyname View Post
I am an African American woman boomer currently living in the SF Bay Area. I grew up on the East Coast -- in Massachusetts-- have lived in NYC, Philadelphia, Chapel Hill, North Carolina and Los Angeles. My spouse and I are considering a move to Houston. Everywhere I've lived I've encountered racism, prejudice, and bigotry. What's different is the way that the racism, prejudice, and bigotry are manifested. Having grown up in Massachusetts, I was familiar with the particular brand of racism in that
Commonwealth, but when I moved to NYC, Philadelphia, North Carolina, Los Angeles and now the SF Bay area, I experienced different kinds--different manifestations-- of racism than I was used to in Massachusetts. Many African Americans, who have grown up in the SF Bay believe that this area is less racist, prejudiced, and bigoted, but I haven't found that to be the case.
Just as the weather, the way people show their friendliness, the emphasis they place on church attendance differ in various parts of the country, the way racism, prejudice, and bigotry manifest themselves varies by location. And the particular brands of racism, prejudice, and bigotry one has grown up with often feels the most normal (if racism, prejudice and bigotry can ever be seen as normal), perhaps because one learned how to cope with them, and by comparison the other brands seem more onerous.
I assume that Houston has problems with racism, prejudice, and bigotry and that if my spouse and I move to Houston, we'll learn about them and adapt to them. I don't think that is it makes sense to argue about whether Houston is more racist than LA or vice versa. The way racism manisfests itself in these two cities or in any other areas of the country is just different.
Nooneknowmyname, it seems that everywhere you go, you are not finding what you want so you have to move again. I am an American of Mexican descent. People that don't know me ask me where I was born. They are trying to find a "I told you so" to tell their friends that are also listening to my answers. When I tell them that I was born in Calexico, they ask what part of Mexico that is located at. And I tell them it is in California. The name comes from 2 words Cal ifornia and M exico. Cal and exico put together. And what do you think the name of the city is across the border? Mexi and cali put together. Mexicali. In the Texas border with Arkansas you have Texarkana. But anyway, After I told them that I was born here, they would say, "Oh, but what part of Mexico are your parents from?" I would proudly tell them, "My mother was born in Brawley, CA. and my father in Walnut Creek, CA." All hot and bothered they would say, "And your grandparents?" With a voice tone of thinking they were also American Citizens. "Oh no not them, they were born in Mexico." I would answer. Then I would turn the tortilla on them. "What part of California were you born at?" "Oh, I'm not from here" they were from another state. When I asked them about where their parents came from they came from: England, Germany, Italy, Spain, India, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Phillipines, and to tell you the truth, from all over the world.
Growing up in an area where Mexicans made 85% of the population, 1% was black, 4% were chinese and from India and the rest was white, I did not know what rasism was. I saw a little from our white teachers in grammer school, but we let it slide because they were mostly people who got a job at a city full of Mexicans trying to teach us the American way.
My best friend was a white, redhead, freckled face kid with a crew cut named Tommy. I liked going to his house because it was just the family on TV, Leave It To Beaver or Father Knows Best. Well, at least that is what I preceive white people were like. I didn't know any better, I was in the 4th grade and that is what I watched on TV.
Not until I graduated from high school in 1972 did I get a rude awakening when I moved to San Diego to attend San Diego State. I learned that Mexican Americans were being frowned upon in California for what the pachuchos did back in the 40's during the war, when the hispanics were asked not to dress in their Zoot Suits. And for what Ceasar Chavez was doing for the farmworkers. He fought for better wages and treatment in the fields. So as a 17 year old student who was looking for his Identity, I took Chicano Studies and most of the instructors from Chicano Studies were in the Brown Barets, or for some reason were teaching Leninism and other stuff. I guess they were confused Mexicans that took the wrong path. I learned to tolerate other people but never lost my heritage.
In the military I would hang with my best friends in the clubs. And they were mostly blacks and mixed with Mexican Americans from California and Texas. White friends would ask me why I hanged out with the blacks and I would tell them that I was the only one in my family that listened to Disco and funk.
Our little circle grew, during the day when tention had been high in military bases you would see whites, Afro-Americans, Chicanos, hang together. Something that was unpresidented during the times that whites and hispanics were told not to go into the disco part of the club because it was for blacks only and there had been racial tentions years prior. But of course, three drunk fools, one white, one black and one brown, sat in a table at the entrance of the disco room and we all started telling jokes. And so not to get in trouble if someone accused us, I told Mexican jokes, the white white jokes and the black, black jokes. We had such a storm of laugher going that people would block the door way to see what was going on. When I saw my friends at the door, I would invite them in and introduce them to my friends in our table. When the white guy would wave to one of his friends he would also invite them and we all would shake hands. The next thing you would see is tables full of mixed Airmen. Within three months, it was not even a memory of the fact that there used to be racial tention at that base.
I have driven in Black neighborhoods in Los Angeles, and other parts of California, and in Black neihborhoods in Spokane and Wichita Falls. I was never confronted or asked what I was doing there.
I fought for this country so that it remains free and we can live where we want. As an adult, I have lived lived with mostly whites as my neighbors. Those that have never experienced living next to an Hispanic, have become good neighbors. Once they learn our culture, and eat our cooking, they don't want you to leave. And many times don't want to leave your house. LOL.
But I have noticed that what your body and mind generates, that is what people will perceive. So if one is the type of person that drinks and constantly leave the beer cans in the front yard and it takes a month for someone in the family to get tired of tripping on them, that is the type of person the neighborhood will judge you as and people like that we all can do without. If you are the type that likes loud music, and don't respect the neighborhood, you will have the cops at your house constantly. People like that we all can do without. If you are the type that are constantly having fights and you even take your yelling outside to the front of the house, people like that, we can do without. If you walk your dog and it poops on ever neighbor's yards and you don't carry bags to pick them up, peope like that we can do without. These are examples of people that we have had as neighbors. I know that there are 1000 other examples everyone can mention. But you should show respect to your neigbors and do not give anyone a reason to talk bad about you and you should do fine wherever you want to live. I had never lived in a home with an HOA until we moved to a to the house we live now to be close to the high school we moved into. Our rules are no street parking, no parking on your drive way. That is what your garage is for. No garage sales, no loud music, no a lot of things. When we have a party for one of our girls, we invite the whole neighborhood. Only our closes neighbors around our house come. First, our daughter is 5 yrs old and we have couples of different ages. Some are retired, other are in their 50's with no kids and some that do have kids, they are boys in their teens and can't see themselves at a 5 yr old's Strawberry Short Cake Piñata party.
But with our hispanic family guest, everyone comes. Grandparents, parents, kids of all ages teens in high school to pre-schoolers. Our family consists of a Mexican-American, me and a Venezuelen, my wife. So her friends from Venezuela that we met here, have the same customs as Mexicans, the whole family comes to the parties. There are black or Mulatos, and mestizos, half-Spanish and half-Indian Venezuelans. So at our parties we take out my congas or Tumbadoras which is what the Venezuelens call them and we party. Not only do we play Kids party songs but Disco, Funk, Rock En Español, Country, Tex-Mex, African Drums from Venezuela but also Mariachi and Banda. We contract a DJ to play at the party. But of course, we limit the music to 10 p.m. If it is going to continue, we take the music inside and keep it low.
Respect to our neighbors is very important. In my neighborhood there is a Cuban married to a lady from Russia. An Anglo married to a lady from Mexico. An Oriental married to an American woman, An African lady from Africa and her kids, 2 Afro-American couples and the rest are White couples.
I don't feel out of place, I am considered an American by my neighbors and treated as such, I have a bachelors degree in International Business, we have our own business, we fly an American Flag, we don't drink or smoke, but we are full of life. So it's how you carry yourself that will help you where ever you live at. Many people are not extroverted and have a hardtime opening up to neighbors. We have a Posada every Christmas everyone comes to eat Tamales. Even our Venezuelen friends come and join in the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, even though back in Venezuela they do not have that practice. Lots of people also like to cruise down our street to take a glimse of our manger every Christmas. So Nooneknowsyourname, Good luck with your move.
I am the Midnitecruzer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston