Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Texas: Houston, cheap houses, realtor, tax help, real estate.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
This city is not for wusses. Its environment separates those who are worthy from those who want a free ride.
Wait, I'm a weather wuss...
I can handle 98 F sometimes a lot easier than I can handle 48 F.
Will I be in trouble in Houston too?

(comedic relief ? )

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-05-2007 at 12:53 PM..

Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,284 times
Default As one wuss to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Wait, I'm a weather wuss...
I can handle 98 F sometimes a lot easier than I can handle 48 F.
Will I be in trouble in Houston too?

(comedic relief ? )
I am a Republican Wuss.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:39 PM

26 posts, read 122,740 times
well no kidding that car insurance is way high here in Houston
Houston is a traffic accident hot spot in the US
wayyyyy too many people don't signal changing lanes or making turns
wayyyyy too many people talk on their cell phones while driving

I took a trip to Australia, Utah, Arizona, and New York City/northern NJ last year... my goodness, reminds me how it is a rule to signal and follow speed limits, that they drivers comply to the traffic rules.

TALKING ON CELL PHONE should be banned, outlawed, seriously.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badab00m View Post
well no kidding that car insurance is way high here in Houston
Houston is a traffic accident hot spot in the US
wayyyyy too many people don't signal changing lanes or making turns
wayyyyy too many people talk on their cell phones while driving

I took a trip to Australia, Utah, Arizona, and New York City/northern NJ last year... my goodness, reminds me how it is a rule to signal and follow speed limits, that they drivers comply to the traffic rules.

TALKING ON CELL PHONE should be banned, outlawed, seriously.
Certain areas in Texas have outlawed talking a cell phone without head gear while driving. Question is, when will it be outlawed completely. Nothing gets me more angry than irresponsible drivers. When I saw drunk drivers and what not, all I can think about are the small children in cars nearby.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:47 PM

42 posts, read 184,411 times
Quote:
This is what I have been saying on this board all along.. Like you said..Do you homework. Rent for 6 months to a year and learn about lifestyles and the city. Many people prefer a 2000 sqft condo in the loop than all the driving in the burbs... it is common sense that a bigger home means bigger cost to keep up. I have also said.. Don't compare when you come here.... We are Houston NOT So Cal. I can do the same and move to So Cal and tell them all the things I don't like about them.. where does that get one? Anyone who moves here looking for some fantasy Rose garden will simply find Houston, no more no less. As for running an a/c .. I grew up before a/c existed and I was quite fine.
With that all in mind, we are still moving to Houston. And that is also taking in to consideration the other things. Bad Hairdo days for the 3 females, all suffer from asthma, the 3 females in the family have serious reactions to mosquito bites. If one can put up with all that or find a way to deal with it, then we will stay. Like the song says, "Ain't no stopping us now, we're on the move!" Where there is a will there is a way as the saying goes, and despite all the negative connotations to the move, it is what you make of it when the time comes that determines what state of mind you will be in. I know that if you would not be happy in what ever part of Houston you are in, you would have moved out of there.
So Houston, here we come.
papermaker4u

Old 04-07-2007, 03:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I have to agree with Bringjoy's original post. Do your homework. We moved to San Antonio from CA and are now moving back to CA. We did research the area and made several trips down but for some reason we must have been in a trance or something. We were jaded by the home prices and what you could get in TX vs. CA. We never took other things into consideration such as the weather. We had gorgeous weather where we came from. Here, it just rains all the time. Like today - that's why I'm stuck here on this computer inundating all you good forum folk with my cheerful banter! The other thing is friends and family. You don't realize you're going to miss them until you don't see them anymore! Sure, you can make new friends - that's what my mom told me - but I liked my old friends just fine. There wasn't anything wrong with them!!! Traffic here is an absolute nightmare too - worse than Los Angeles - at least in LA you have alternate routes to take. Here, you're just stuck and screwed! And have you seen the way these people drive around here??? Oy Vey!!!

Okay, enought with this post. I have to find some other threads to post my pearls of wisdom in!

Oh yeah, one more thing - we aren't looking for a "free ride". We work our a-sses off!

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 04-07-2007 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Had to add one more thing!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:40 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,284 times
Default La

I have been to LA, and Tx, by far, is far superior. LA traffic is horrific. Tx doesnt have noticable earthquakes or major fires or mud slides. LA has far more racial strife. Most racial riots take place there. Housing costs are horrific for what you get. Tx is Superior to the bone.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I have been to LA, and Tx, by far, is far superior. LA traffic is horrific. Tx doesnt have noticable earthquakes or major fires or mud slides. LA has far more racial strife. Most racial riots take place there. Housing costs are horrific for what you get. Tx is Superior to the bone.
Only in some ways. Come on now let's be fair. Los Angeles does have a lot on Texas. For one it doesn't get as hot as it does here, and there is a little racial tension in this state and it kind of boils under the surface.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Los Angeles has a lot on Texas. Its larger than Dallas and Houston's metro put together. I would live (when I get older) there if prices weren't so outrageous. I do love Texas, though. Houston is my city. Cheaper homes, friendly people, and a lot going on.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:45 PM

You really love metro areas don't you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston