Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:29 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
I get the Mexican cokes and the real deal Dr. Pepper at Specs. Both made with real sugar. I think most of the Kroger's have the Dr. Pepper.
Okay, I'll play...how do you know it's a "Mexican Coke"? The can is in Spanish? Seriously...this is the first I've heard of it and I have no clue what to look for. Ditto for the "real deal" Dr. Pepper -- does the can say "made with real sugar" or somesuch? I'd like to try these out too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Okay, I'll play...how do you know it's a "Mexican Coke"? The can is in Spanish? Seriously...this is the first I've heard of it and I have no clue what to look for. Ditto for the "real deal" Dr. Pepper -- does the can say "made with real sugar" or somesuch? I'd like to try these out too!
The Mexican cokes say, "Hecho en Mexico." You can find them in a lot of Mexican grocery stores and occasionally in convenience stores in predominantly hispanic neighborhoods like the 2nd Ward.

The Dr Peppers say, "Dublin Dr. Pepper." They're bottled in Dublin, Texas and have never used that tooth-rotting, cancer-causing high fructose corn syrup.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:38 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
The Mexican cokes say, "Hecho en Mexico." You can find them in a lot of Mexican grocery stores and occasionally in convenience stores in predominantly hispanic neighborhoods like the 2nd Ward.

The Dr Peppers say, "Dublin Dr. Pepper." They're bottled in Dublin, Texas and have never used that tooth-rotting, cancer-causing high fructose corn syrup.

It's hard to get Dublin Dr. Pepper--but you can get Dr. Pepper made with Imperial Sugar here. I've not seen actual Dublin Dr. Pepper anywhere other than Dublin.

Mexican coke is also found at Wal-Mart. They're in tall, skinny, old-school bottles. Coca-cola is not happy that we're getting them here.

With a niche market for Mexican Coke taking root in the United States, The Coca-Cola Co. and its bottlers are quietly looking to block its passage across the border.

One reason the company wants to lower the profile of the drink in the United States is that bottlers here don't profit from sales of the import, which are produced by independent Mexican bottlers. Mexican Coke, brought in by third-party distributors and retailers, infringes on franchise territory rights of the U.S. plants.

"We believe that those territory rights belong to the rightful bottlers," said Coke spokesman Mart Martin.

Is Mexican Coke the real thing? | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Coca-Cola is foolish for not wanting to give people what they want. I thought they wanted to sell product. This will be looked at as a stupid move 20 years from now.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:28 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
It's hard to get Dublin Dr. Pepper--but you can get Dr. Pepper made with Imperial Sugar here. I've not seen actual Dublin Dr. Pepper anywhere other than Dublin.

Mexican coke is also found at Wal-Mart. They're in tall, skinny, old-school bottles. Coca-cola is not happy that we're getting them here.

With a niche market for Mexican Coke taking root in the United States, The Coca-Cola Co. and its bottlers are quietly looking to block its passage across the border.

One reason the company wants to lower the profile of the drink in the United States is that bottlers here don't profit from sales of the import, which are produced by independent Mexican bottlers. Mexican Coke, brought in by third-party distributors and retailers, infringes on franchise territory rights of the U.S. plants.

"We believe that those territory rights belong to the rightful bottlers," said Coke spokesman Mart Martin.

Is Mexican Coke the real thing? | The San Diego Union-Tribune
Central Market on Westheimer has Dublin DP. I don't go there often, so I don't know if it's an occasional thing or not. I've also seen them in Whole Foods on Kirby. Again, I don't know if it's a regular item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Coca-Cola is foolish for not wanting to give people what they want. I thought they wanted to sell product. This will be looked at as a stupid move 20 years from now.
I agree it's foolish, but those distribution contracts are pretty stringent with their territorial allowances. Considering there's no real financial benefit to using corn syrup these days, I wonder why the local distributors won't just switch over to sugar, especially in Houston, home of Sugarland, the base for Imperial Sugar. Politics must be the factor here. There must be a cabal of corn farmers lobbying to keep corn syrup in our sodas.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 PM

Awesome! Thanks TTK!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Awesome! Thanks TTK!

And I second his Awesomeness. Thanks for the "hecho en Mexico" explanation.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Mexican coke is great. They have some at HEBs. At least in Pearland, its in a clear glass with a sticker for the ingredient list. Also says, Hecho in Mexico.

I've been meaning to try the new Pepsi, but havent' seen it.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Politics must be the factor here. There must be a cabal of corn farmers lobbying to keep corn syrup in our sodas.
Yes. I would imagine Coca-Cola has both feet in the corn syrup, so to speak.

This is an interesting movie--read the "Coke: Classic Blunder or Clever Ploy?" featured on the site: http://www.grinningplanet.com/enviro...orn-review.htm

Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 PM

108 posts, read 231,544 times
Fry's Electronics on 59 near Sugarland seems to carry a large inventory of Dublin Doctor Pepper. They sell individual bottles and 6-packs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston