Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times

Advertisements

We currently lease in The Woodlands but want to be closer to family & friends in the Sugar Land/MC areas.

Initially, I really liked The Heights & Montrose areas after a visit here a couple of years ago but we've been priced out of those areas. Garden Oaks & Forest Oaks are fast getting to where we're going to be priced out for what we want & need as far as square footage is concerned. Saw a house for sale last weekend - 1700sf listed at 399k!

So...it looks like the 'burbs are in our future.

Neither DH nor I are clamoring to be in a brand spanking new community. We really prefer older communities with tree-lined streets - less of a cookie-cutter existence.

We've been looking at Quail Valley which now seems to be on an upswing and more stable since the purchase of the golf course by Missouri City last summer. Many of the houses that were on the market last summer are no longer for sale. There were some gorgeous houses on har.com for a steal last year! When we drove around a couple of weeks ago, we were pleasantly surprised by how well-kept people's properties & houses were. I say surprised because when I last asked about QV here, someone mentioned that it was "seedy" and I really didn't see that at all. Of course, there are a few pockets where curb appeal isn't so appealing but I think that's probably true of many areas.

Our children are still too young for us to be overly concerned about school districts as it is a) our plan to send them to Catholic schools anyway and b) district lines seem to change quite a bit so I'm not really sold on buying based on current ISD lines.

Commute is not an issue as we work from home. Safe (as in no drive-bys...I've learned quickly that "safe" in Houston is a relative term), convenient to shopping and within reasonable distance to 59 would be ideal.

Anything besides Quail Valley or Lake Olympia that we should explore? The very top of our price range is 350k and we're looking for about 2500sf with 4bd/2.5 bath (or 3bd with den for office space).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 AM

247 posts, read 737,323 times
You are in the same boat I was in and I ended up buying in the Commonwealth community of Sugarland. I fell in love with West U but couldn't afford it. There was something about the feel of Commonwealth that made me comfortable. I got a 2800 sq ft house with a 100 year old pecan tree in the back yard for 300k. There are a number of different subdivisions within Commonwealth. Unfortunately when you do a subdivision search on HAR and use the name Commonwealth it doesn't pull up all of the homes for sale in Commonwealth. You have to do a map search and pull up the properties for sale within the boundries of Commonwealth. If you want to see the neighborhood take Sweetwater Blvd. to Palm Royale turn right on Knightsbridge and then right on Commonwealth Blvd.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Have you looked at some of the older areas of Sugar Land near the Imperial site, such as Sugar Mill?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Default 3 Miles down Gessner from Strake Jesuit/St. Agnes

There are a few homes in my neck of the woods that might meet your criteria real well. We love it here, it's just across the Mo.City Line off Gessner, about 3-4 miles straight shot on Gessner or with no lights on Beltway 8 from the best Catholic High Schools in Houston Strake Jesuit/St. Agnes (and elementary/Jr. Hi across Bellaire).

Also, a 5 minute drive up into Bellaire Blvd China Town for much better restaurants and grocers than you'll find in The Woodlands. Check out the listings for Lakes of Fondren (where I live), Fondren Lakes, and Frontenac. The first two are on small fish-stocked lakes. The last has the newest houses. All were started in the mid-80's and have fine mature oaks and palms. They are guarded by a private patrol led by a former HPD assistant chief (MacDan Security) and have virtually no crime, at least compared to most of Houston. Guard houses on the Fondrens at only entrance. You'll get much more than 2500 sq ft for $350,000 as a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
We currently lease in The Woodlands but want to be closer to family & friends in the Sugar Land/MC areas.

Initially, I really liked The Heights & Montrose areas after a visit here a couple of years ago but we've been priced out of those areas. Garden Oaks & Forest Oaks are fast getting to where we're going to be priced out for what we want & need as far as square footage is concerned. Saw a house for sale last weekend - 1700sf listed at 399k!

So...it looks like the 'burbs are in our future.

Neither DH nor I are clamoring to be in a brand spanking new community. We really prefer older communities with tree-lined streets - less of a cookie-cutter existence.

We've been looking at Quail Valley which now seems to be on an upswing and more stable since the purchase of the golf course by Missouri City last summer. Many of the houses that were on the market last summer are no longer for sale. There were some gorgeous houses on har.com for a steal last year! When we drove around a couple of weeks ago, we were pleasantly surprised by how well-kept people's properties & houses were. I say surprised because when I last asked about QV here, someone mentioned that it was "seedy" and I really didn't see that at all. Of course, there are a few pockets where curb appeal isn't so appealing but I think that's probably true of many areas.

Our children are still too young for us to be overly concerned about school districts as it is a) our plan to send them to Catholic schools anyway and b) district lines seem to change quite a bit so I'm not really sold on buying based on current ISD lines.

Commute is not an issue as we work from home. Safe (as in no drive-bys...I've learned quickly that "safe" in Houston is a relative term), convenient to shopping and within reasonable distance to 59 would be ideal.

Anything besides Quail Valley or Lake Olympia that we should explore? The very top of our price range is 350k and we're looking for about 2500sf with 4bd/2.5 bath (or 3bd with den for office space).

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2009, 03:08 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
There is one neighborhood down there (in Sugarland) called Venetian Estates, but it is very expensive. Most of the homes front the lakes, with some of the homes being 50 years old. It is not Heights era, but it is about as far from cookie cutter as you can get in Sugarland.

The homes are on large lots, I just don't know how easy (or even possible) it would be to find something in there for $350,000. It is pricey territory.

There was one mid-century modern down there by Preston Bolton that I photographed, but other than that, I don't have any pics of the neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer View Post
You are in the same boat I was in and I ended up buying in the Commonwealth community of Sugarland. I fell in love with West U but couldn't afford it. There was something about the feel of Commonwealth that made me comfortable. I got a 2800 sq ft house with a 100 year old pecan tree in the back yard for 300k. There are a number of different subdivisions within Commonwealth. Unfortunately when you do a subdivision search on HAR and use the name Commonwealth it doesn't pull up all of the homes for sale in Commonwealth. You have to do a map search and pull up the properties for sale within the boundries of Commonwealth. If you want to see the neighborhood take Sweetwater Blvd. to Palm Royale turn right on Knightsbridge and then right on Commonwealth Blvd.
M/A/L - thanks for the tip on the Commonwealth Community. We'll drive by this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Have you looked at some of the older areas of Sugar Land near the Imperial site, such as Sugar Mill?
No I haven't but I will now. I don't really know much about the area so I'm glad that you're giving me some options to look at. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
There are a few homes in my neck of the woods that might meet your criteria real well. We love it here, it's just across the Mo.City Line off Gessner, about 3-4 miles straight shot on Gessner or with no lights on Beltway 8 from the best Catholic High Schools in Houston Strake Jesuit/St. Agnes (and elementary/Jr. Hi across Bellaire).
I personally would love to live within a stone's throw of Strake/St. Agnes (we have boy/girl twins).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Also, a 5 minute drive up into Bellaire Blvd China Town for much better restaurants and grocers than you'll find in The Woodlands. Check out the listings for Lakes of Fondren (where I live), Fondren Lakes, and Frontenac. The first two are on small fish-stocked lakes. The last has the newest houses. All were started in the mid-80's and have fine mature oaks and palms. They are guarded by a private patrol led by a former HPD assistant chief (MacDan Security) and have virtually no crime, at least compared to most of Houston. Guard houses on the Fondrens at only entrance. You'll get much more than 2500 sq ft for $350,000 as a bonus.
Thanks for this info. I've just done a search & saw a house listed at 225k and of course, I love the look of it (at least from photos). Why are the prices so inexpensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
There is one neighborhood down there (in Sugarland) called Venetian Estates, but it is very expensive. Most of the homes front the lakes, with some of the homes being 50 years old. It is not Heights era, but it is about as far from cookie cutter as you can get in Sugarland.

The homes are on large lots, I just don't know how easy (or even possible) it would be to find something in there for $350,000. It is pricey territory.

There was one mid-century modern down there by Preston Bolton that I photographed, but other than that, I don't have any pics of the neighborhood.
That is gorgeous. I love mid-century modern but also have an affinity for 1920's Spanish Mission/Colonial/Revival (we had a 1929 Spanish Revival in San Diego before moving to Houston). My cousin & her husband in VA recently purchased a Charles Goodman in Hollin Hills. They love it and have stayed true to mid-century design. Her only complaint is that they haven't completed on updating all the windows & that they've sent the last several months paying to "heat the outdoors". I'll keep my eye on Venetian Estates if only to drool over some of the unique architecture and drive thru the area this weekend. Thanks for replying to my inquiry & providing the eye-candy.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Thanks for this info. I've just done a search & saw a house listed at 225k and of course, I love the look of it (at least from photos). Why are the prices so inexpensive?
Because it an overall low income to low middle income families and professionals. Personally I think it would be quite the cultural shock coming from the Woodlands. Not implying you are some uptight white person but it will be a change.

I'm not sure where any Catholic schools are located near Sugarland but I recently went to New Territory to visit a friend and was really taken aback by how nice it is. Also, Sienna Plantation is pretty nice as well, though it is pretty secluded.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Sugar Creek & Sugar Lakes are the 1st neighborhoods entering Sugarland & were developed in the 70's-80's . Lots of mature trees & origional owners. Prices in the 200's to over a million. Sugar Creek being the oldest is very lush.
Good luck!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Because it an overall low income to low middle income families and professionals. Personally I think it would be quite the cultural shock coming from the Woodlands. Not implying you are some uptight white person but it will be a change.

I'm not sure where any Catholic schools are located near Sugarland but I recently went to New Territory to visit a friend and was really taken aback by how nice it is. Also, Sienna Plantation is pretty nice as well, though it is pretty secluded.
LOL - no...I'm Asian and have lived in some "rough" neighborhoods because of "opportunity" - if that makes any sense. Our first house in San Diego was in the middle of San Diego "ghetto" but in the 2 yrs we lived there, we never heard a gunshot nor had police called to the streets around us. Even on the rare (but stupid) occasions where we'd leave the house & forget to close the garage door, we never had a burglary or mishap.

We "moved up" into a transitional neighborhood with beautiful 1920's Spanish Revival houses that were a block away from prostitute central (didn't do our research on that front). We fell in love with the house, the neighbors who greeted us before we even bought the place, and its 2-block proximity to the church we'd been attending. Of all the places, DH & I have ever lived in throughout our lives that neighborhood was the the most close-knit we'd ever experienced.

To be honest, The Woodlands was kind of a shock to us as it is a far cry from the neighborhoods we've lived in.

Since posting my question above, I'd done a little more research & see that it's a transitional neighborhood that would require some detailed homework before making any permanent decisions.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:06 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
That is one thing I have found in my neighborhood, which is a little transitional island, is it is very tight-knit and people keep an eye out for each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston