U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:30 PM

76 posts, read 258,715 times
Are you kidding me? Neighborhoods/housing surrounding the campus are HORRID. It's super dangerous to venture into the neighborhoods around UH. The dorms are old, but not dangerous and filled with drug dealers, like 3rd ward wrapping around UH is. You've obviously never been to Scott St or Telephone Rd.....

Last edited by eastwest; 04-11-2007 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 03:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,133,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
Are you kidding me? Neighborhoods/housing surrounding the campus is HORRID. It's super dangerous to venture into the neighborhoods around UH. The dorms are old, but not dangerous and filled with drug dealers, like 3rd ward wrapping around UH is. You've obviously never been to Scott St or Telephone Rd.....
Uh, actually I used to live there, and in the Acres Homes area, but even before I did, I realized that a majority of what you hear about it is embellishment or exaggerations.

What I meant about the dorms is not anything that had to do with crime, but the fact that they're old and ugly. Not too many people would have fun living on campus, so they look for somewhere to live that neighbors the campus. One of those options is living amongst the poor folk in the UH area that they're just absolutely terrified of. Don't get me wrong. It's kind of bad, but it's not South Central Los Angeles type stuff.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:57 PM

76 posts, read 258,715 times
I've lived in Acres Homes/Antoine&West Gulfbank before myself, and I'm glad I'm still alive, I'll put it that way.

It's deadly important to know the good and bad areas of Houston.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
I've lived in Acres Homes/Antoine&West Gulfbank before myself, and I'm glad I'm still alive, I'll put it that way.

It's deadly important to know the good and bad areas of Houston.
Still, not so much as the areas in southern California or Dallas. If you're a smart person who minds their business and knows how to protect themselves and family, the worst that might happen a few instances in a lifetime is you getting robbed without getting injured (all praise to God). What can you say? People are either hungry or greedy and they're looking for money. That's life in the big city for you. What do you get from this? "HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL."

Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM

944 posts, read 2,044,575 times
Mpope409, Ummm... I think that counting on getting robbed three times in a lifetime WOULD be a big deal. I've lived in LA and Chicago and have never had a problem, but I stayed out of horrible areas. I don't want to move to Houston and have people tell me "It's not so bad, you'll only be robbed a few times, but the robber will probably let you live, so it's alright." What reality are you living in??

Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Mpope409, Ummm... I think that counting on getting robbed three times in a lifetime WOULD be a big deal. I've lived in LA and Chicago and have never had a problem, but I stayed out of horrible areas. I don't want to move to Houston and have people tell me "It's not so bad, you'll only be robbed a few times, but the robber will probably let you live, so it's alright." What reality are you living in??
The reality of having experienced these things. I don't know how you grew up, or if people fed your mind things other than reality, but in HOUSTON, TEXAS we keep it very real and honest. I mean duh, it's not all of Houston, but I was giving my input from personal experience on a particular area: the neighborhood around the University of Houston. Now if this discourages you from moving here lol I'm sorry, but I'm being honest. This is how it is, sweety.
And as far as getting mugged...hey...some people are built for the city and some people aren't. Just don't move to this part of town if you're worried about it.

And please do not misquote me in the future.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:49 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,275,549 times
Houston's urban landscape tends to be a "block-by-block adventure" due to the lack of zoning, among other things. You have good areas next to bad areas.
Around U of H, for example, you have rough neighborhoods heading down Elgin, but you go directly south of the campus into University Oaks, for example, and it is fine.
Close to U of H is a relative term. There are pocket areas such as Idylwood & Eastwood & Glenbrook that are just a few miles from there that are absolutely fine.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:35 PM

657 posts, read 1,576,967 times
I'd look somewhere near where the west and south loop come together. Maybe somewhere near Braeswood. If you can get to the south loop pretty quickly, that will get you to U of H without too much drive. There's both good and bad apartments in the area, so do a little research and remember you usually end up getting what you pay for. I'd definitely advise you to live west of UH.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:48 PM

2,703 posts, read 38,028 times
Try Afton Oaks, too. That neighborhood is in the middle of Greenway Plaza, just off of Richmond Avenue.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM

All good advice . I didn't mean to sound discouraging to you, Hello, but I was just being honest about my experience. If I were to sugarcoat then no one would know what to expect, or I could I exaggerate and that isn't fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston