Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times

Advertisements

Heya -

Going to see Sweet Baby James at the Verizon Wireless Theater tonight! Haven't seen him in person since Tanglewood in Massachusetts 30 years ago....
(I'm-getting-old reality check: a 30-year-old said of James Taylor, "who's that?")

Anyway...plans changed from eating first in Sugar Land to driving downtown earlier and eating somewhere around there. I have not driven downtown since I moved here a year ago and my relative hasn't been in years either so she doesn't want to do the 'go north on 45' part of the typical mapquest directions. She thinks we could do 59 to Kirby, and thinks Kirby becomes Allen Pkway becomes Bagby/Montrose or whatever?? I can look this up on a map but someone who actually knows what's what is cordially invited to chime in!

Should we have any worries about the return drive at night? I doubt we're getting out before 10:30...is the Verizon's garage safe? Any street park recommendations if not?

Back to the dining...is there someplace decent and not too $$ within a few blocks of the place? We;ll eat anything -- Mexican, Chinese, great burger, etc.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 10:16 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
You should just park in the parking garage beneath the Bayou Place. I park there all the time when I go downtown and it's always been safe. As for food you can make it easy on yourself and just eat at The Hard Rock Cafe in Bayou Place. Street parking can be a hassle to find so I wouldn't bother with it unless you just happen upon a spot. I hope you enjoy yourself.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:57 AM

Thanks, Westhou for where to park/eat.

Any thoughts on the best drive there??

Google says 59 to 45 N to the Memorial Dr exit 47B, quick right at memorial, right at Rusk, left at Bagby, right at Texas.
Just looking at the street map it seems like spaghetti, but maybe it's clearer once on it?? I am NOT a 59 fan so as soon as I could get off it, the better.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
You could also use Spur 527 and just ride Travis Street into downtown.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You could also use Spur 527 and just ride Travis Street into downtown.

Okay...from 59 it looks like you stay on the 527 FEEDER and then make a quick exit on Travis?

Then, since we can't turn left on Texas, make a left on Capitol and right on Bagby?

You cannot overestimate my need for specificity....

What does Travis offer...less traffic and confusion than staying on the 45 part up to Memorial Dr?

Old 05-16-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Okay...from 59 it looks like you stay on the 527 FEEDER and then make a quick exit on Travis?

Then, since we can't turn left on Texas, make a left on Capitol and right on Bagby?
That would work. I believe you have this more figured out than you think

I've never liked getting on 45 from either direction from 59/SW Freeway. You are using the same ramps as the people getting off 288 (288 and 59 merge before the 45 exit) and the 45 ramps narrow from two lanes to one as they go along. There's not much signage that indicates this until you're right there on it, it confuses people and causes unnecessary delays.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That would work. I believe you have this more figured out than you think

I've never liked getting on 45 from either direction from 59/SW Freeway. You are using the same ramps as the people getting off 288 (288 and 59 merge before the 45 exit) and the 45 ramps narrow from two lanes to one as they go along. There's not much signage that indicates this until you're right there on it, it confuses people and causes unnecessary delays.

It doesn't take much to confuse me on TX highways...and I'm still not sure if I want what appears to be a 59 feeder or 527 feeder around the merge..if you zoom in on a google map of Spur 527 and TX 59 you'll see what I mean. What seems to be the 59 feeder leads right into Travis...but I'm not sure. At least we'll be heading there in daylight.

Any thoughts on the return trip? Best/safest route to get back?
I might just get to Richmond and take it most of the way...the crazies on 59 really do make me nervous!

Old 05-16-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
It doesn't take much to confuse me on TX highways...and I'm still not sure if I want what appears to be a 59 feeder or 527 feeder around the merge..if you zoom in on a google map of Spur 527 and TX 59 you'll see what I mean. What seems to be the 59 feeder leads right into Travis...but I'm not sure. At least we'll be heading there in daylight.
That's Spur 527. It is sort of like a feeder from downtown straight onto the SW Freeway as an alternative to getting on 45.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the return trip? Best/safest route to get back?
I might just get to Richmond and take it most of the way...the crazies on 59 really do make me nervous!
Bagby going south will bring you back to the spur to get back on 59.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,659 times
Have a great time at the show!!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 AM

Default Lived to tell about my downtown drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Have a great time at the show!!

We did!! WONDERFUL concert. A few favorite songs brought a few tears, for sure. I hadn't seen him live since 1977. He's 61 and still in great voice and has superb energy. Just a great time. Average age of the audience was around 50something, I'd say, which is to be expected...I even saw some three-generation families there, with 70something-grandma.

Floor seats (folding padded chairs) at the Verizon are too narrow and connected together so it's a very tight space, so that's my major gripe about the venue. But the space overall is small and intimate; perfect for someone like him.

Anyway...thanks to all about the driving advice. We did do the 59 to Spur 527 to Travis St -- not that there ever was a sign SAYING 527!! Seriously, I don't see how we could have missed a "527" sign since we were so focused on our directions and knew the spur split to the left would be coming not long after you pass under the four bridges. But we made it.
On the return we came out the Capitol St exit of the Bayou Place garage and wound up on Memorial Drive, but that was okay. Did 610 to 59 in what seemed like warp speed.

I must say, I still wouldn't want to do 59 in rush hour traffic....but right now I'm also thinking my greatest accident risk is in the Kroger parking lot, where people drive across parking spaces like lanes at 30+ mph!! I nearly was sideswiped twice yesterday and witnessed a very near miss where the one driver chased the other car down, opened her window and gave the ("bad") driver an earful!!
Geez, how much of a hurry can you be in for milk, bread, or (my guess) beer??? But I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston