Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:26 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

Yes you can find a decent apt. fairly close to UH - just depends on what you can afford. I would check Eastwood. I would also check Midtown but those will be pricey (op didn't specify budget). You might also find a garage apt. in the Montrose, West Gray area.

Unfortunately there is crime all over Houston now. However, I feel 10x more comfortable in Midtown, Montrose, Kirby, etc. than I do in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
That's not much.
Plus AT&T U-Verse, which includes "local telephone, high speed internet, cable TV, Wi-Fi, DVR & video on demand."

Disclaimer: I work for UH. I was not any part of the original decision to build these lofts, but now that they are there, I hope that they fill up. Otherwise, their expense will be a drain on the university.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:56 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Plus AT&T U-Verse, which includes "local telephone, high speed internet, cable TV, Wi-Fi, DVR & video on demand."

Disclaimer: I work for UH. I was not any part of the original decision to build these lofts, but now that they are there, I hope that they fill up. Otherwise, their expense will be a drain on the university.
haha, yeah, I did read that. But it's just not all included.

Honestly, I do not hope they will fill up. Yes, it will be bad for them, but this is a luxury. You need to admit this extremely expensive. Anybody who charges 800 Dollars for 350 sqft. dorm needs to get a reality check, especially in this economy.
But don't worry...it will fill up

Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Honestly, I do not hope they will fill up. Yes, it will be bad for them, but this is a luxury. You need to admit this extremely expensive. Anybody who charges 800 Dollars for 350 sqft. dorm needs to get a reality check, especially in this economy.
Their sales page (http://www.housing.uh.edu/calhounlofts/faq.html - broken link) says that the U-Verse is included.

I was more skeptical about the project until I took a tour with students who were considering living there. They thought the price was within market rate once everything was factored in, and they were comparing it to other properties they had viewed.

I live in the burbs, so my knowledge of dorm or apartment pricing near UH is limited, but I was actually happy to hear the students have a positive response because before the tour, I thought UH was going to have a seriously tough time leasing the lofts.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:44 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
No I didn't mean the ATT.

Let's take the MINIMUM rent. That's about 1100 for 700 square feet. That's a medium one bed room. I paid less when I lived right in midtown.. and the apartment complex was a so called "luxury complex"
I paid 1110 for 800 square feet. That included trash and water.
And when you take the 800 Dollars, it would be 1600. I have lived all over Houston. And the price is just way too expensive. In my opinion dorms shouldn't be at market rate anyway. Tuition ain't cheap...like I said.

And midtown was/is a desirable area.. can't say that about the U of H area. Could give me a house for free and I wouldn't move there.

I get your point. But I think that is not what they should have built at all. People will take out more student loans etc. Will have more debt once they graduate.
A luxury dorm can't be in the interest of the students and their parents. I'm pretty sure the students like it... who dosen't the look of expensive apartments.
But they are students.

Bottom line, I am actually quite shocked that a university would consider a luxury dorm.

Last edited by XodoX; 05-17-2009 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Bottom line, I am actually quite shocked that a university would consider a luxury dorm.
I can't argue with you there. Usually "luxury dorm" would be an oxymoron.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:23 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:

Wow, that's an absolutely terrible deal.

My brother and I live in a luxury apartment and pay about $900 rent (about $1200 for everything) for a 2-2 on the third floor. About 900 square feet for our digs.

I only though UHCL and the University Forest Apts were a crummy deal at about $600/month for around 500 square feet...

I'm sure those lofts will fill up. I know people who would bite just because they are paying high prices. I room with one of those kind. No, a $600ish 2-2 condo wasn't pricey enough when we were looking...oh well, my aunt and uncle need my $600/month more once the lease is up and my brother thinks of signing another lease even if the rents goes up again.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:27 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichels View Post
UH student needs apartment in safe neighborhood within 2-3 miles of UH.
I would seriously consider living in the medical center more specifically Holly Hall. There are very nice apartments that are around $600 and its less than 10 min. drive to UH.

As far as living on campus is concerned. If you consider Cullen Oaks; Bayou Oaks; Cambridge Oaks, its really alot of fun and many of the students that dont live in Houston usually live in these apartments. There is really a college type atmosphere which is a rarity at UH. But its usually a good idea to be ayounger student that has no obligations and is willing to go out and have fun.

As far as Calhoun lofts are concerned; I really doubt that it is going to fill up; People could get a comparable place downtown or midtown for the same price. It's ludicrous in so many ways; 1st this is UH tier 4 school that has a new robbery/assault/harrasment case every week. And 2nd this is Houston,nobody is willing to pay that much unless their morons; anyone could get a much roomier place for $200 less even ON campus. I am more excited by the restaurants and amenity stores that are going to be on the ground floor.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 11,980 times
Default I can help

I have an apartment for rent in a very safe area. (between Southgate and West U.) Are you still looking? Email me at [email]ntihle@yahoo.com[/email]. Some guys who lived downstairs went to the U of H.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I am more excited by the restaurants and amenity stores that are going to be on the ground floor.
What restaurants? I asked about this and the tour guide said that there will be a convenience store/mini mart type place but no restaurants. I really wish they would add a great restaurant or two because UH could really use some more dining choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: