Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:38 PM

14 posts, read 103,918 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone out there in cyber-space,
Young ,Northeastern,African-American family seriously considering moving to Houston, TX. Have been researching area, via web and will be visiting area in late Apr/2007. With 3 growing children, 8,6,3, wanted truthful experiences re: diversity in schools and neighborhoods. My husband is a School Administrator and I am an R.N. Looking to cash-out of our areas real-estate bubble and live the proverbial "good-life". Want to purchase our home on one salary and would like to spend around $250k. Like to stay active with swimming, roller-blading, basketball (husband enjoys playing in mens' leagues), hockey and ice-skating (important to kids). Any suggestions of neighborhoods to consider visiting? Any that stand out to avoid? Would like to make move while kids are still young. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 03:26 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,259 times
Based on what I have seen on this board, Houston doens't seem as black friendly as other areas such as DC, Northeast, and Atlanta.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:31 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times
Not true AT ALL. Houston is a very chocolate city lol. Houston has more blacks within the city limits than the entire population of Atlanta itself.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:28 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,818 times
I vote for my area of Spring zip 77379. Klein Schools you can get a Very nice house for 250,000 anywhere here. You may prefer Gleannloch farms which is very nice on a goldf course with lakes and trails all through the neighborhood. That wqould be Tomball 77375 right next door to me, also Klein Schools. You chould check www HAR.com for ideas on homes. Nice place to live no matter what color you are LOL!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:18 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,259 times
One of the main cons about Houston is the high property tax up to 4% of the property value a year. Any change to that in the foreseeable future?

Old 04-07-2007, 07:29 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
One of the main cons about Houston is the high property tax up to 4% of the property value a year. Any change to that in the foreseeable future?
Doubtful, but as far as I know, Houston should be ideal for the original poster.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:32 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,364 times
Default Multicultural /multiracial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Based on what I have seen on this board, Houston doens't seem as black friendly as other areas such as DC, Northeast, and Atlanta.

I have stated about 10x on this board.. and lived here since 1950s.. Houston, today, is a very diverse multicultural and multi-racial city. I Found it to have less racial strife than the above mentioned cities, and include NYC, LA and Chicago.

The places which have racial strife are Panhandle of Tx ,Dallas, Jasper , Vidor, Anyplace near Lousiana border, Pasadena.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Default No state income tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Doubtful, but as far as I know, Houston should be ideal for the original poster.
Tx has no state nor city income taxes...we are blessed.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:56 PM

14 posts, read 103,918 times
Thanks for the input. We've been hearing a lot of good info about Cypress/Fairbanks. Can you give us a comparison with Spring? Also, how is Austin in terms of affordability and quality of life? ANY info is greatly appreciated as we have no family, friends or associates in Texas at this time. As you can imagine, it will be a very BIG move.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Apples and ORanges

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlion7 View Post
Thanks for the input. We've been hearing a lot of good info about Cypress/Fairbanks. Can you give us a comparison with Spring? Also, how is Austin in terms of affordability and quality of life? ANY info is greatly appreciated as we have no family, friends or associates in Texas at this time. As you can imagine, it will be a very BIG move.
Cy/Fair and Spring are very similar...too close to really consider any differences... Austin is also great.... quality of life is as good as Houston.. Remember Austin and Houston have two different characteristics... I suggest you visit both and find the lifestyle that fits you best.... I Like both places.. to me its like comparing oranges to apples.. but some people like apples more than oranges and vice versa...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston