Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,903,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn&Matt View Post
Lol...echoes of the Deep South? What type of hooded language is that? Louisiana is the Deep South. I dont know what images are conjured up in your mind but it is definitely not only Southern but the Deep South.

Southern is like Arkansas/Oklahoma and sounds too light and airy to describe the likes of Houston with many of its "natives" coming from Beaumont, Lufkin and the Piney Woods of East Texas.

Its like when you travel to a foreign country and have to adjust to the little idiosyncrasies. As much as you may try to shake or disguise it, it is all around you like the air you breathe. You cant stuff it away in a suitcase and pull it out when around your friends and family. It is what it is and its not fooling anyone. Be proud about being a part of the Deep South...and if there is something that you are ashamed of for some weird reason work to change it and stop trying to hide under a banner of "international-ness" because it aint working.

Ok, don't know what planet you're from, but here on EARTH, we would not consider Houston "Deep South".

Oh, wait! What am I thinking? It's our old friend Antebellum Goddess under a different name! Same setup: clinging to some absurd hold on non-reality!

Have you seen Lakeisha lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 PM

104 posts, read 135,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Ok, don't know what planet you're from, but here on EARTH, we would not consider Houston "Deep South".

Oh, wait! What am I thinking? It's our old friend Antebellum Goddess under a different name! Same setup: clinging to some absurd hold on non-reality!

I dont know who Lakeisha is or what it has to do with Texas being part of the Deep South.
I would like to know how explaining a fact has to do with an absurd hold on non-reality. Please explain.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,803,857 times
Quote:

Well, you can't really speak for everyone. Most people likely don't consider Houston the Deep South, but people shouldn't be criticized for having their own opinion on something.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Wow, I didn't realize Louisiana and the Deep South was that international, and nearly half Hispanic.
You should visit Miami.

Quote:

Who is we, you don't speak for everybody in Houston. Houston is a southern city. Texas was apart of the Confederacy for god sakes. There are old slave plantations in the Houston area. Try telling black people who grew up in segregation that Houston is not a deep south city.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You should visit Miami.

Who is we, you don't speak for everybody in Houston. Houston is a southern city. Texas was apart of the Confederacy for god sakes. There are old slave plantations in the Houston area. Try telling black people who grew up in segregation that Houston is not a deep south city.
Hmm.....San Antonio, Austin,Dallas and South Texas are deep south too than huh??? Each were prominent with slavery.

Quite frankly just to ignore this argument; I don't see Houston (or Texas in general) as deep south because it's location isn't deep south. Does that mean we aren't southern or share the same qualities?? No, but from a geographic standpoint. I don't see it.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:23 PM

104 posts, read 135,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Hmm.....San Antonio, Austin,Dallas and South Texas are deep south too than huh??? Each were prominent with slavery.

Quite frankly just to ignore this argument; I don't see Houston (or Texas in general) as deep south because it's location isn't deep south. Does that mean we aren't southern or share the same qualities?? No, but from a geographic standpoint. I don't see it.
The term Deep South does not automatically carry a negative connotation. There are many states that practiced slavery that are not a part of the Deep South. I consider Houston to be part of the Deep South because of its very close cultural ties to East Texas...as well as the fact that many native Houstonians have roots in East Texas.

I am not denying Houston is international. It is truly an international city in many respects. However the foundation is very much attributed to its East Texas/Deep Southern roots. Perhaps I am unique in my perspective...if you believe that the culture of most native Houstonians is closely more aligned with West Texas/Midwest culture then that is fine.

Geographically it may be borderline, culturally speaking it is definitely the Deep South in my opinion.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Who is we, you don't speak for everybody in Houston. Houston is a southern city.
Agreed. I don't think anyone is denying that.

The conversation is which sub-region, i.e. Deep south vs Upper south vs South Florida vs Texas vs Mid-Atlantic, etc, etc.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn&Matt View Post
The term Deep South does not automatically carry a negative connotation. There are many states that practiced slavery that are not a part of the Deep South. I consider Houston to be part of the Deep South because of its very close cultural ties to East Texas...as well as the fact that many native Houstonians have roots in East Texas.

I am not denying Houston is international. It is truly an international city in many respects. However the foundation is very much attributed to its East Texas/Deep Southern roots. Perhaps I am unique in my perspective...if you believe that the culture of most native Houstonians is closely more aligned with West Texas/Midwest culture then that is fine.

Geographically it may be borderline, culturally speaking it is definitely the Deep South in my opinion.

Texas in general has close ties to the south and my exempting it from the south has little to with the negative stereotypes that come with being deep south but more to do with its geographic standpoint. If Houston is deep south; than what is Dallas, Austin and San Antonio???

Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post

Really, what state is further south than Texas? South, Deep South what effen difference does it make! Besides having a lot of hispanics, Houston is more like New Orleans, Arkansas, Atlanta than it does San Antonio or Phoenix or LA.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,803,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Agreed. I don't think anyone is denying that.

The conversation is which sub-region, i.e. Deep south vs Upper south vs South Florida vs Texas vs Mid-Atlantic, etc, etc.
Texas is a state, and not a sub-region of the south.

I believe Houston sits on the western edge of what I consider the Lower/Deep South. I'll put it like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston