Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloon View Post
Well thanks for the confirmation on skipping the house on Kimberly east of Tully. I'm offshore so I can't just go drive and look at it, but if it's the connecting road with some apartments, then I for sure don't want it. Off a major street is one of my big things I'm looking for and skipped over looking at several houses that would have fit otherwise because of it.

I appreciate the comments all. Lizzy, I would not choose Katy because of the commute. I looked at a house north of I-10, but for similar schools to what I'm looking at now (based on statistics - Mayde Creek v. Westside) I'd rather be closer to my friends in Midtown and my job downtown (when I get done with my offshore stint). I don't want the commute of Cinco Ranch. No way. Just not for me.

Seemed to me that best place for a gallon of milk was Kroger at Dairy Ashford and Briar Forest? Keeps away from sketchiness at Westheimer at night. That or I guess go all the way to Randall's at DA and Memorial? It's not that far...

Kroger at BF is good. I never go because it's just way out of my way. Randalls on Memorial and DA is extremely safe and would be my after dark choice for you, but again out of my way. The one at T&C is the best. The best Kroger is at BF and Eldridge. Super nice complex there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM

70 posts, read 234,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
yeah, white people are stupid about apartment complexes. Sure there are some bad guys in there, but most are just hard working families. Where do people expect their waiters, car washers, janitors and maid to live? In 300k McMansions? All that said, I don't mind living near them, I just don't want to live NEXT to them. The noise issue and traffic that comes from them is huge for me.
True dat. Funny too, on the same night a car with a Hispanic couple (that looked pretty rough) came down woodland park past us and honked while we were on our bikes. It was evening, little traffic, with two lanes so we decided to ride in the street instead of sidewalk. Perfectly reasonable.

He could have honked innocently, but I didn't get that vibe. The funny thing was when we got to the light at Briar Forest he was still waiting there. I just waved and said hello. The woman in the passenger seat looked like she felt kinda stupid.

But I've heard of bikes getting run off the road out in Katy, so I'll take a honk over that any day.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 AM

I did manage to make it through most of the "For those still wondering about Westchase" thread as well.

Still pretty unsure on what to do. Really not trying to start another battle though.

Any thoughts on the + and - of the fact that there seems to be a lot of old people in the neighborhoods? Seems to me that could go either way depending on if investors buy to rent, or if younger people (family or not) like us buy because they can't afford to be north of the bayou.

It's a little unfortunate that the house is so kick ass because it makes the decision really difficult. Maybe I'll post a picture after I make a decision. Just don't want to tip anybody off!

Is there a women's or mom's club in the area? That's something my wife would be interested in knowing about. I tried googling it but couldn't find anything.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I dunno. But I think you can join any of the community clubs north of the Bayou even if you aren't a resident. good way to meet families and kids.
Memorial West Club and Nottingham Forest and Wilchester have excellent pools, tenis courts and playgrounds...Nottingham Forest's being the most amazing.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
WB and BGP both have very active Moms club. I bet Village West does too. Ask your realtor if they can get a neighborhood newsletter from the HOA. It will have Moms club info if they have one. Also, we swim against them in swim team and they have an active group for that. It is a great way to meet other kids and Mom's

Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Check the neighborhood price trends on the chron. Village West increased 9.5% from 2007 to 2008
compare that to Cinco and it looks great.
Houston homes, real estate, apartments, land and property for sale and rent (http://www.chron.com/channel/realestate/homeprices/ - broken link)

Old 05-20-2009, 11:56 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Oh I didn't mean far out in Katy, like Cinco. I should have been clear. I was thinking Green Trails which is just 1 minute of I-10 from west Memorial.

Do you think you would stay in this house when you have kids? Have you looked at school info & demographics for the neighborhood schools? Many people over there use private if they can afford......

Old 05-20-2009, 12:26 PM

Isn't that area zoned to Wolfe? Isn't Wolfe pretty crappy? It is based on what I've read..

Hard to say if we'd stay when we have kids. Who knows? Being 23, it's hard to plan for that kind of stuff. I think I'm most concerned about just area crime at this point. I just want my wife to be able to go to that yoga place there, and be able to go get some dinner, and, heck, get my car washed without getting mugged. I know it can happen anywhere, but still...

Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Wolfe is pretty bad. I have a friend who just sold her beautiflul Fleetwood home (it took a year to sell) because her little ones are about to start school & they don't want Wolfe. Most Fleetwood people also use private but not EVERYONE can pay the grand a month per child tuition fee. That's why the people with younger kids flock to the north of the bayou schools (best ones East of Kirkwood) and this is where you'll find the largest populaton of younger families.
When we were in our 20's & bought our 1st place, I fell in love with a house in Lakeside near Westheimer. I wanted that house so bad because it was great & we could easily afford it (OK, it had about 25 piers in it too). We ended up paying more North of the bayou instead......I didn't love the house as much but the entire setting was worth it in the end.......but that us, we're all different.......

What is the name of the neighborood you're looking at again?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Village West. Between Kirkwood and Hayes, Briar Forest and Westheimer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston