U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2009, 04:50 PM

3,701 posts, read 10,653,642 times
Default Texas City D i k e

I want to go fishing, my boat is out of commission and my favorite piers are still so much kindling. I was wondering if anyone knew the status of the Texas City D i k e. Has it been repaired enough to be reopened yet?

Last edited by neotextist; 05-23-2009 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: fixing title/filtered word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:42 PM

10,428 posts, read 27,746,323 times
Im sitting here trying to figure out why or what the citydata bad word filters deleted on you. Now I got it. It's a bad word for lesbian. How dumb. Anyway yes the diiike is closed because of damage from IKE. The diike which is suppose to protect Texas City was badly damaged to the point of not performing its function. Plans are to repair it quick because silt is already building in the channels. But like all govt, they are dragging their feet. The local fishing club is keeping pressure on by attending city council meetings in force.

The sno cone place has been replaced as well as the bait shop. They are up and running.

The whole raised road that runs along the Texas City coast line is still in perfect shape and open. Last week I did not see any fishermen but the wind surfers were out by the hundreds.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:25 PM

3,701 posts, read 10,653,642 times
Thank You. Didn't think it would be open yet. I'm trying to avoid Galveston and the coast this weekend as I believe the traffic will likely be intolerable. Maybe I'll nip over to Trinity Bay or the Trinity River and see what'll land on the hook over there.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 PM

11,206 posts, read 16,555,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Im sitting here trying to figure out why or what the citydata bad word filters deleted on you. Now I got it. It's a bad word for lesbian. How dumb.
They're also filtering the wrong word, and the proper spelling for the lesbian slur is unfiltered. Go figure.

Everything on the Dike got wasted by Ike. Lots of debris to be cleaned out of the water before they go building anything. It's probably going to take awhile.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:13 PM

33 posts, read 38,893 times
Default Texas City ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I want to go fishing, my boat is out of commission and my favorite piers are still so much kindling. I was wondering if anyone knew the status of the Texas City D i k e. Has it been repaired enough to be reopened yet?
The diike will not be repaired this year because the money is going to the levee by Moses Lake. They want the levee repaired by September which includes removing all the trees and poles that line the levee. All cables to the houses that front Moses Lake will have to be buried. Major project, so don't look for the diike to be repaired anytime soon. If the levee is breached in the next hurricane, it could flood the city. We live in Plymouth Landing (by the lake) and the levee came within two feet of being breached during Ike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston