U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 12,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
I just voted but wasn't sure how to vote on the nightlife because for one I don't drink and I don't know how late everything stays open. Could you tell me what the nightlife is all about in Houston?
Depends on which side of night life you're on.
The side we were on consisted of sitting on your porch/balcony, hidden behind a large plant, with a rifle in your lap - waiting for the next thief to burglarize your car.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:54 AM

8 posts, read 12,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
I can't think of anything I really dislike about Houston, but maybe that's because I'm working overseas and am a little homesick.

Just to add to what others have said about culture and things to do, Houston's ballet, opera, and symphony shouldn't be overlooked. They're all excellent. There are also a number of theaters scattered around town that produce a wide variety of shows throughout the fall/winter/spring. Of course, there is also the Alley Theater and the Hobby Center downtown for shows produced with larger budgets.

If you like to travel - especially internationally - Houston offers very good connections to major hubs throughout the world, which is a big plus, too.

Scott
I have to agree with you on the cultural entertainment aspects of Houston. Though expensive, Houston does have some top notch venues, and plenty to do.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 8,196,978 times
Weather is the only thing that I dislike about Houston. Too hot too humid, flooding. That's it.

It's still one of the best major metro areas at a reasonable cost.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 PM

652 posts, read 632,658 times
The weather and the drivers are my 2 biggest dislikes of living here. Otherwise, I love it and you couldn't pay me enough to move back to NY!

Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 PM

2,617 posts, read 5,321,995 times
Like: Food, Diversity, People
Hate: Traffic, Weather, Lack of Zoning in Houston Metro

Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 PM

3,279 posts, read 7,013,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Low cost of living
Stable economy
Near the coast
Very diverse
Good food
Plenty of shopping

Dislikes: (most common)

Lack of zoning
Humid
Flat
Sprawling
Mosquitoes
Flooding
Basically this, with a couple of changes:

Dislike:

Very diverse
Polluted

Old 05-11-2016, 04:59 AM

24,210 posts, read 20,887,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Thing is, any ice here is a major event, because Texans (and Southerners on the whole) have no concept as to how to drive on ice.
You bet they don't! I spent one Christmas and New Year's down visiting my daughter in Silsbee and it "snowed". Their snow to this born and bred Bostonian is what we call snish. Snow/ice combo. All day the news was filled with roads being shut down because of accidents. Even I didn't like driving in our snish. Just as bad as ice...No way are you going to control where your car goes.

I'm here in the Texas section because I am moving tomorrow to Spring, Tx. 7 months in Florida and I am out of here!! Can not stand it. Spring is just a pit stop, maybe. I want to eventually go a little farther north to Lumberton. It's been almost 15 years since I have driven down around there. I assume there has been plenty of growth in 15 years time. Looking forward to another adventure in my golden years.

Can anyone tell me anything about Spring?

Old 05-11-2016, 12:43 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,595,491 times
The only thing that bothers me about Houston is the poor public transit. The core of the city is surrounded by several important suburbs and business centers, but the only way to get to them is by car. That's rather pathetic.

I'm less concerned with being able to go from hood to hood on rail, but an urban area as sprawling as Houston needs more connectivity.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:16 PM

13,402 posts, read 22,403,342 times
Relative to other cities:

Excellent dinning scene
Very ethnically diverse
Excellent bang for your buck
Great cultural amenities
Weather (very mild winters)

Dislikes:

Non-diverse economy (its getting better, but the sun still rises and sets by oil here)
Terrible public transit
Very few nightlife districts that are cohesive
Not walkable outside a couple of small areas
Weather (humidity)

Old 05-11-2016, 05:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 8,196,978 times
Quote:
Very few nightlife districts that are cohesive
There are a few you're right but Houston nightlife is still pretty strong. It's just more spread out. The few nightlife districts I've been to down Wash Ave and Midtown have gotten rowdy as heck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston