U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 PM

70 posts, read 144,500 times
No offense taken. Can't get offended about that kind of stuff. Just happen to completely disagree with the majority of people in Houston that think Dallas sucks. It gets repeated on here over and over again!

I think everybody can find a place in Houston where they fit in. Is it so in Dallas as well? Probably, but I haven't tried so I really do no know. Houston has a lot to offer and as long as you are friendly and don't drive slow in the left lane, I'm sure you will be fine.

The only thing I feel like Houston doesn't have to offer is theme parks. The fact that a Six Flags can't survive in Houston is ridiculous.

Believe it or not I grew up in Dallas and had to adapt to the heat here too. You just get used to it. I think it's easier on kids. Some of my wife's older relatives came to visit us last year in July after we moved and said they could never live in Houston because of the heat. I think it's easier this year being here for the ramping up of the heat. Last year moving in July made it tough, even just coming from Austin. But after a few weeks of just being sweaty, you kinda get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 07:23 PM

159 posts, read 438,431 times
Oh, yeah...I remember the heat in June. Used to come out for a week every year for an convention and it was unbelievably hot to me (over 100 already in June). Seems like one year it was 108 at night. I remember having dinner with friends and we all stayed in the pool the rest of the evening. I can't ever remember it getting to 100 in Florida. Just how hot does it get in Houston? (And how cold)? I remember being there in December around Christmas and do not recall it being actually cold.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:30 PM

8,801 posts, read 14,376,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark99 View Post
I like Houston. I've been there a number of times. The number one thing I liked was the friendly people! Just like real Floridians (as opposed to the transplants). It makes me feel like I am among Floridians. You guys rock!

I also like that it seems to be easy to find my way around. I like Galleria, the BBQ and being close to the beach (I was in Galveston when the oil blobs were all over the beach - never seen anything like it - glad to hear they cleaned it up)!

Florida also does not have state income tax and like TX, we have the sky high property tax offset which drove most of the Floridians out of Florida (homeowners insurance is also sky high due to hurricanes).

I'm divorced and don't know a soul in Houston anymore (or couldn't find them after all this time). So, I'm thinking about taking a leap of faith and moving out there by myself from Jacksonville, Florida. I've moved 5 times in 5 years and am coming up on year 6. After growing up in Orlando, getting married and moving to Atlanta for almost 20 years, coming home to my state I just don't feel the love...I keep moving and looking but all the Floridians are gone or scattered. It's just not my state anymore. I figure I will work another 10 years then I should be set to retire so wherever it is I just don't want to move anymore.

In the Florida forum, we have a lot of singles wanting to know if it's okay to move here (safety, finding friends, jobs, things to do, nightlife, etc) but so far I'm not seeing it on this forum. That's why I'm asking you guys the same about Houston.

Also, housing costs are a consideration. No doubt I would rent until I found a house if I like living there (and I always thought I would). The friends I used to know there lived pretty far out in the burbs but being single that probably wouldn't be for me. I want to consider where I would live while still working that would also be a suitable place to retire. I've seen a lot of jobs on the net that I qualify for.

Does anyone know the ratio of singles in Houston (vs married)? Any particular area of town where singles congregrate? Where I am in Jax now is the hot spot for singles but I find most are either pretty young or grouped as singles in the statistics but living with someone.

Sorry for all the questions. This would be a heavy duty move for me so I want to consider it carefully.

Don 't come unless you have money or already have a job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston