U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 AM

6 posts, read 12,328 times
Default I-10 Commute, Energy Corridor/Westchase Places to live

Moving to Houston in November, will be working at the Allen Center downtown. Looking for a place to rent while we figure out Houston and save for a house.

Trying to keep the commute time down, I'm thinking of living in the Energy Corridor area and taking the Metro via the Addicks Park & Ride on I-10 or driving. What do you think?

Also, I've only visited the Westchase/EC area one time and wasn't too impressed, but perhaps I missed the nice parts that people have discussed previously? I was looking mostly between HWY 6 and HWY 8 between Memorial and Westheimer.

Any help will be much appreciated! Will also consider other neighborhoods, just trying to keep the commute and the cost down. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM

15,135 posts, read 14,183,025 times
How many kids? If none why not look in Rice Military or Montrose?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 AM

298 posts, read 586,170 times
Yeah, if you're working downtown, I'd try to rent as close to downtown as possible. Unless you enjoy sitting in a car/bus for long periods of time.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 AM

8,801 posts, read 14,392,145 times
Ok, strangely my commute times to Downtown areas has been incredible since the new freeway.

From Kirkwood and I-10 to Shepard and W. Grey or Bagby...15 minutes at 8am!!!! I get off at Silber and cut through the park. I see the back up at 610 and get off at Silber. I'm stunned. I've made this drive 3 times the past two weeks and am about 30 minutes early each time, just because I can't believe that the drive time is real now.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 AM

8,801 posts, read 14,392,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblueskies View Post

Also, I've only visited the Westchase/EC area one time and wasn't too impressed, but perhaps I missed the nice parts that people have discussed previously? I was looking mostly between HWY 6 and HWY 8 between Memorial and Westheimer.
hmm, well maybe nice is different for you. Between I-10 and the Bayou, from Beltway 8 to Kirkwood, the homes start around 400k and go to about 1.4 million. Most are built in the 60's but look like new construction inside.New construction is steep in the area. West of Kirkwood the homes are less expensive(starting at 300k) and Memorial is downright ugly, until you get past Dairy Ashford.The mature trees and the school district is the draw. South of the bayou things get a little patchie. Highway 6 is awful blight. If you want new in the area and can't afford new in 77079, there is Lakes of Parkway.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 AM

298 posts, read 586,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ok, strangely my commute times to Downtown areas has been incredible since the new freeway.

From Kirkwood and I-10 to Shepard and W. Grey or Bagby...15 minutes at 8am!!!! I get off at Silber and cut through the park. I see the back up at 610 and get off at Silber. I'm stunned. I've made this drive 3 times the past two weeks and am about 30 minutes early each time, just because I can't believe that the drive time is real now.
Wow, that is pretty fast. Kirkwood is pretty far out there (past the belt, at least). That's about how long it takes me to nudge through my three mile drive through the medical center

Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM

84 posts, read 127,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
hmm, well maybe nice is different for you. Between I-10 and the Bayou, from Beltway 8 to Kirkwood, the homes start around 400k and go to about 1.4 million. Most are built in the 60's but look like new construction inside.New construction is steep in the area. West of Kirkwood the homes are less expensive(starting at 300k) and Memorial is downright ugly, until you get past Dairy Ashford.The mature trees and the school district is the draw. South of the bayou things get a little patchie. Highway 6 is awful blight. If you want new in the area and can't afford new in 77079, there is Lakes of Parkway.
South of the bayou is rough. Two different friends have had their houses broken into in the past two years, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. One moved out, one got burglar bars.

To put that in perspective, I lived in Sharpstown for 3+ years and my aunt lived there for 15+ years and neither of us had so much as a car break in. So yes, stay north of the bayou (basically between the bayou and I-10).

Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,571,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
South of the bayou is rough. Two different friends have had their houses broken into in the past two years, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. One moved out, one got burglar bars.

To put that in perspective, I lived in Sharpstown for 3+ years and my aunt lived there for 15+ years and neither of us had so much as a car break in. So yes, stay north of the bayou (basically between the bayou and I-10).
Good advice.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM

6 posts, read 12,328 times
Sorry, I haven't been to Houston enough to know where the bayou is . . . . ????

Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,571,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblueskies View Post
Sorry, I haven't been to Houston enough to know where the bayou is . . . . ????
It runs parallel to Memorial Drive, just south of Memorial. It's the cut off line for SBISD VS HISD for the most part. The closer to the Sam Houston Tollway and North of the Bayou, the better....but costlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston