U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 AM

54 posts, read 95,148 times
We're kind of obsessed with crime and scapegoating here. Numbers are meaningless.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:12 AM

84 posts, read 132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You can also see how the stats for burglaries, assaults, thefts (not auto) and rape in Houston went down slightly in 2006 from 2005 despite the Katrina influx. Could it have been more media hype than anything?
When watching the news, always remember the first rule of journalism: "if it bleeds, it leads." That should help you put it in perspective.

Houston, for such a large and diverse city, has a relatively low per capita crime rate (a much more accurate indicator of personal safety than overall crimes).

Old 06-09-2009, 10:16 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,131,378 times
Quote:
You can also see how the stats for burglaries, assaults, thefts (not auto) and rape in Houston went down slightly in 2006 from 2005 despite the Katrina influx. Could it have been more media hype than anything?
Media what? I've never heard the words media and hype paired before. Surely the media wouldn't hype a story just to get more readers or viewers, would they? They have a responsibility to the community, don't they? Say it ain't so, Dave Ward!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM

2,219 posts, read 4,637,410 times
I dont think we have a crime problem in Houston. Be aware of your surroundings, dont go to certain parts of town at night,dont keep valuables in your car and you will be fine. I have never witnessed a crime,been victim of a crime or known anyone who has had anything more than a car broken into or garage thievery. Lived here all my life except college.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM

11,354 posts, read 17,193,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
When watching the news, always remember the first rule of journalism: "if it bleeds, it leads." That should help you put it in perspective.
R-A-T-I-N-G-S

Let's see, I came back in January '07 and since then I have seen one guy getting chased down and arrested in Montrose (never heard for what) and have seen the cops come to my apartment complex a couple times to break up some domestic stuff. The worst thing that happened to my car was getting the backglass busted out, and that never made the crime statistics because it's hard to charge a hurricane with a crime. Never been shot at, never been robbed, never had any problems when I go out. And I do get out and around...

Oh, and there are certain laws in Texas that level the playing field quite nicely. In some places, you're not supposed to do anything to anyone breaking into your house. Here you can shoot people in the back who are running away from your neighbor's house. Well, at least if they're illegal immigrants. I think that's where the precedent sits at the moment.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM

50 posts, read 140,906 times
crime is the only thing stopping gentrification from happening faster in 3rd ward....i hope people stay scared so they don't move in

Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM

8,907 posts, read 15,129,905 times
I think the economy is causing more crime everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised this winter when people are cold and hungry in MN, if crime increases.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:18 PM

5,581 posts, read 3,878,154 times
Quote:

you left out murder went up from 05-06, and went up by about 100 from 04-06 (to a total of 377 or about 33%)

and robberies went up, and wuto theft went up as well.

you can leave out any numbers to make your point look good.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:22 PM

11,354 posts, read 17,193,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
you left out murder went up from 05-06, and went up by about 100 from 04-06 (to a total of 377 or about 33%)

and robberies went up, and wuto theft went up as well.

you can leave out any numbers to make your point look good.
Right, but it still illustrates that this place wasn't Mayberry before August '05, and that crime did not go up across the board. Murder usually isn't random in nature either. I attribute that mostly to NOLA gangs coming in and having fights among themselves and with local gangs, mostly in the FEMA voucher/Section 8 apartments. And this was more of an isolated phenomenon, like in parts of the SW side.

There was some truth to the post-Katrina crime but it was more like one part truth to three parts hype.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:40 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,847,269 times
The paranoia about crime around here is just insane at times.
I don't know if its bored housewives gossiping or the gun-toting culture around here.
I swear I've seen the exact same forwarded emails about crime "incidents" numerous times over the years.
One bank or gas station gets robbed and it gets talked about for years around here.
The crime is not around here, relatively speaking.
I too have never been robbed, shot at, or even had my car broken into.
It's amazing how many people leave their car doors unlocked, have valuables in clear display and wonder how their car could have gotten broken into.
What? Just because you live in a particular zip code, you think it can't happen to you?

Just know your surroundings and use common sense, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston