Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:44 PM

336 posts, read 1,295,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller427 View Post
those are other area's we are interested in as well, everyone say;s go northwest of I 45 honestly, I would leave today if I could. I just hope the house prices stay pretty much the same as now if they go higher I'm sure our's will as well. either way I"M OUTER HERE!!

Bueller

Have you looked at any builders, if so do you like one more than another? I like David Weekley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 AM

254 posts, read 464,342 times
Hey Bueller, I grew up in the Spring Creek Forest neighborhood (pretty close to Champions Forest), but I moved up to Philly about 8 years ago for school, so I know a bit about the "East-Coast Big City" feel. Let me tell you, from what I can tell from your post, you are gonna love the Woodlands. In fact, you would do well in Champions Forest, or many of the neighborhoods in that Klein High School area (Spring Creek Forest, Spring Creek Oaks, Memorial Northwest, Wimbledon Estates).
As far as Pizza is concerned, it's gonna be hard to find a good NY slice, but you might check out Brothers Pizza. I went there a few times after living in Philly and knowing how good pizza should taste. They did ok . . .
But look at it like this: You may lose good pizza, heck you will lose authentic Italian food. BUT, you gain BBQ, Mexican, Cajun, Seafood, and a slew of other stuff.
In conclusion, Welcome!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:19 PM

61 posts, read 142,130 times
AWESOME!!
We really can't wait. I'm not a big pizza guy anyway so i won't relly miss it. We will be going back in june 2010 with the kids and will be going to check out the woodlands. We looked at about 10 houses in spring and my wife was very big on Champions Forest, Memorial Northwest. How is tomball / cypress ? Are their any other REALLY nice neighborhoods we should look at close to there? It seems you get half the house in the woodlands compared to spring... i have 3 kids so I would want a pretty big house. Should I go with the bigger house or go to the woodlands??? I'm looking to spend about 350,000 to 400,000 on a house. I just want the best/safest neighborhood i can get for my money. We are still in a state of depression since we came back but it will go fast and soon I will be there! I hope the housing prices don't shoot up to much in the next few years

Bueller

Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
We're actually moving south to Missouri City right on the border with Sugar Land. The Woodlands didn't pan out the way I'd hoped but I know for many people, it's a wonderful place to live - just not for our family. I will, however, miss our pediatrician as well as the doctors that DH has managed to find for himself. I will also miss the wealth of parks & pools in the area. When we held our children's 1st birthday in March at one of the local parks, an aunt & uncle who live in SL commented that they wished TW was closer because they'd walk this park (North Shore) every day if they could.

I would encourage you to lease before you buy if at all possible. I really thought The Woodlands was going to be an absolute no-brainer for us after everything we'd heard & read about it. If anyone had told us we wouldn't like it here, we would have balked at the idea. I can't tell you how relieved I am that we did not buy and instead chose to lease first.

It's like when people tell me how great Staten Island is and I think to myself "HAVE YOU BEEN or LIVED THERE lately????".

Yeah - no Denino's here...we just tried NY Pizzeria on Sunday and it was "meh". So, I'm still on the hunt.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:17 AM

We were considering leasing before buying, I think that would be a smart move. With leasing, do have to lease for a year ar can you do like a 6 month lease...

Thanks

Bueller

Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Quote:
We were considering leasing before buying, I think that would be a smart move. With leasing, do have to lease for a year ar can you do like a 6 month lease...

Thanks

Bueller
I think it really depends on your landlord. The owner of the first house we "looked" at (via har.com) was agreeable to a 6 month. The house we're currently in is a 1-yr lease.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
The Woodlands is nice in a isolated, people don't get out much, kind of way. But if you want any good dining or culture, you're going to be in the car a lot. In fact, just get errands done, you're going to be in the car a lot.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 AM

38 posts, read 113,384 times
Depends on were you will be working. When I moved here I had a house in Cypress and worked downtown houston. Sometimes it would take me 2 hours to get home during rush hour. I ended up being on vanpool. I have since sold my house and have a appartment in the Gallaria to be in the cool part of town (since im single) and get home in 15 minutes.

Quote:
Hello Houston!
Just wanted to say Hello & share my experience with you. Three weeks ago my wife and I went to Houston to visit a friend of ours living in spring. We Stayed at the JW Marriott which was very nice, we should of stayed closer to spring but it was nice to do some driving and see the area. We were very excited but I have to admit I was looking for the negatives, we went on about 10 showings in spring [ champion forest area ] and my wife went crazy! The people were very friendly,helpful & everything was CLEAN [ love that there wasn't any sidewalks ] . We came home to Staten Island NEW YORK and are still in a state of depression. I have a few years [ 3 - 4 ] till I retire here but the first chance we have we will be moving there. We will be coming back with the kids next year { A working vacation...LOL } to show them the difference & how nice it is There.

we will also be looking in the woodlands area, didn't get a chance to go there but will with the kids, Alot of blogger's all say Go to the woodlands....

P.S: the only negative I found was that there wasn't many GHI doctors close to the area { Spring } and don't want to go out of pocket for coverage.

But I have a little time to work it out. oooh, I forgot, Staten Island / New York.....SU*KS IMO

Take Care & GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Bueller

Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM

Hopefully, I won't have to work full time after I retire from NY. I'm in the planning of doing a home improvement / Handyman business when I move there. It would be great to work for Myself. The real estate agent & friends of ours there { in spring } said they are really in demand for Handymen and thqat I would really do well if I started doing something like that there. No major construction but more of fix's in the homes ex: sheetrock, painting, decks, kitchen's, flooring, Custom woodworking ect... any info on handymen/home improvement businesses around that area?

Thanks
Bueller

Old 06-17-2009, 09:58 AM

254 posts, read 464,342 times
Hey Bueller,

I forgot Gleannloch Farms. That is a very nice neighborhood. As far as Tomball is concerned, it has a very small town feel. You may like it if you enjoy more of a country vibe. I cannot comment on Cypress except that you may run into a few more dumb teenager things, but not much more if at all.
Also, I can't comment on handymen/home improvement, but I do know that growing up my father would listen to Tom Tynan and the Home Show. Look it up online. I believe it plays on 610 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Tom is a guru with that type of information for the Houston area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston