Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Actually, the food at Cafe Artiste wasn't very good and the owner was a douche--my boyfriend used to work there. He stiffed the employees and up and moved to Louisiana without paying them.
Dang, I am so out of the loop. I didn't even know it closed. Just read the article on Swamplot. I used to have coffee there with a friend of mine all the time, back in the late 90's, early 00's. Just coffee though, then we'd read and talk and basically p*iss everyone off around us because we were smoking and laughing. Ah, the good ol' days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Dang, I am so out of the loop. I didn't even know it closed. Just read the article on Swamplot. I used to have coffee there with a friend of mine all the time, back in the late 90's, early 00's. Just coffee though, then we'd read and talk and basically p*iss everyone off around us because we were smoking and laughing. Ah, the good ol' days.
Most people didn't really know that it closed--it really is nestled in the middle of the neighborhood, as a opposed to a major thoroughfare. (That's Houston for ya!) We talked to the owners of the restaurant that's there now (Sophia's) and they say people always come by asking for Cafe Artiste and where it moved. In any case, the customer base for Cafe Artiste has moved to places like Empire Cafe and Inversion Coffee House.

It was one of those classes of restaurants that more than got by, because it DID serve a variety of decent coffee (and had wi-fi). Coffee houses are places where many people find it customary to tip as well, so my boyfriend was raking it in. One also has to admit, non-mainstream coffeehouse options are lacking in this city. I work at Bayou Place Downtown (where Angelika and Hard Rock Cafe are) and I always considering opening a coffeehouse next door, because I KNOW I could make a KILLING! Who's with me?!?!

Last edited by theSUBlime; 06-16-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,859 times
Quote:
Actually, the food at Cafe Artiste wasn't very good and the owner was a douche--my boyfriend used to work there. He stiffed the employees and up and moved to Louisiana without paying them.
I think we are talking about two different places. There is an Artista Restaurant at 800 Bagby St Houston, TX 77002. It's on the 2nd floor of the Hobby Center.

I believe you're talking about a cafe that was on Main Street.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Most people didn't really know that it closed--it really is nestled in the middle of the neighborhood, as a opposed to a major thoroughfare. (That's Houston for ya!) We talked to the owners of the restaurant that's there now (Sophia's) and they say people always come by asking for Cafe Artiste and where it moved. In any case, the customer base for Cafe Artiste has moved to places like Empire Cafe and Inversion Coffee House.

Is Brasil still open, do you know?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
Tony's
Mark's
Vargos
Perry's

The OP asked for an expensive restaurant for romantic dinner. All of the above provide that (soft spot in my heart for Mark's, but all of them are favourites).

Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Is Brasil still open, do you know?
Brasil is still open. I haven't been there in while, I think there were remodeling the last time I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
I think we are talking about two different places. There is an Artista Restaurant at 800 Bagby St Houston, TX 77002. It's on the 2nd floor of the Hobby Center.

I believe you're talking about a cafe that was on Main Street.
I know you're talking about the restaurant in the Hobby Center and that was restaurant I asked you about, but I was talking about another place with TexastheKid--Cafe Artiste. It was a cafe in Montrose.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:07 AM

343 posts, read 942,514 times
Spencer's
Guri do Sul

Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:

It was one of those classes of restaurants that more than got by, because it DID serve a variety of decent coffee (and had wi-fi). Coffee houses are places where many people find it customary to tip as well, so my boyfriend was raking it in. One also has to admit, non-mainstream coffeehouse options are lacking in this city. I work at Bayou Place Downtown (where Angelika and Hard Rock Cafe are) and I always considering opening a coffeehouse next door, because I KNOW I could make a KILLING! Who's with me?!?!
I'm all down for a new coffee house (so long as it serves alcohol too), but I think the summer would be a bad time to open one in Houston.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:00 AM

155 posts, read 542,335 times
Fogo de Chao
Trulucks

Old 06-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I'm all down for a new coffee house (so long as it serves alcohol too), but I think the summer would be a bad time to open one in Houston.
Yeah, people love their alcohol. And you're right, any other season would probably be better, but people love iced coffee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston