Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,781,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
If you would like to look up actual real time sold information and you don't want to deal with an agent or spend hours at the county clerks office you can do so via a new search tool found in the Swamplot.com blog post below.

A Better Way To Search Houston Home Listings » Swamplot: Houston’s Real Estate Landscape

Interesting tool...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 AM

637 posts, read 3,227,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Duh I'm not a realtor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post

To the OP, here is an example that I just pulled up and the info below is what I obtained from the site, as I said it is a "range", will not give you an "exact" figure. Just for the record the prices are "correct" because I've discussed with some friends and neighbors what the houses sold for and when going back to the site to check, the "range" is "correct".
1306 KELLIWOOD OAKS, KATY, 77450-4348 - home value - HAR.com

1306 KELLIWOOD OAKS - 77450
Sold Price:
$250,000 - 300,000
Sold On:
03/24/2009
Year Built:
Bed / Bath:
5 / 3 Full & 2 Half Bath(s)
Sqft / Lot Size:
6,982 / 11,712
Subdivision
KELLIWOOD/NOTTINGHAM CNTRY

That's quite a range??... I think the OP or anyone else for that matter would be more interested in that the place was listed for 299,900 and sat on the market for 384 days before selling for 265K or $37 a foot because it was a dump. They probably would also want to know that it was a bank owned property built in 1986 sitting on a 12,000 sq ft lot, feeds into Pattison elementary and that it's currently listed for 469K.

Find a realtor; To the op; quit guessing, it's easier to find a realtor. There are lots of them out there right now just waiting for their phones to ring and will be glad to help. They will find more info in a matter of minutes than you will find in hours or days of trying to go to the court house, or other vague web-sites etc....

Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,687,286 times
I just tried Swamplots link & it wasn't pulling up all listings in my search. Is it just me, or anyone else have the same problem with it?

I was impressed that it had a search for homes available in a selected school. I've never seen that feature on MLS. But when I typed in my childs school , I know the results were not complete.....

Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM

469 posts, read 1,480,719 times
The trouble with a tool like that is it is only as accurate as the data entered by agents. If they omit the schools from the MLS listing it will not pull the property. One thing someone can do to get around this a little is do a search by school then note the neighborhoods that the homes are in and do a search by the subdivision.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,687,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
The trouble with a tool like that is it is only as accurate as the data entered by agents. If they omit the schools from the MLS listing it will not pull the property. One thing someone can do to get around this a little is do a search by school then note the neighborhoods that the homes are in and do a search by the subdivision.
True, many agents don't enter school names, they'll enter the ISD & that's it. I wish realtors had to enter the 3 schools for that listing, it's the right thing to do. Funny, I notice when listings are zoned to desirable schools, the realtor most always enters the schools names, in poor performing schools....the realtor often "forgets" to enter those school names.

I've always wished for a way to enter school names & get the listings for that school. True, you can do it by subdivisions, but inside Houston that gets tricky with all the strange school zone lines.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,570,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post

That's quite a range??... I think the OP or anyone else for that matter would be more interested in that the place was listed for 299,900 and sat on the market for 384 days before selling for 265K or $37 a foot because it was a dump. They probably would also want to know that it was a bank owned property built in 1986 sitting on a 12,000 sq ft lot, feeds into Pattison elementary and that it's currently listed for 469K.

Find a realtor; To the op; quit guessing, it's easier to find a realtor. There are lots of them out there right now just waiting for their phones to ring and will be glad to help. They will find more info in a matter of minutes than you will find in hours or days of trying to go to the court house, or other vague web-sites etc....
Seems like you're a Realtor

The OP said that they are interested in "investing", meaning that they're more than likely looking for investment properties, not a home for themselves to raise a family. In addition the OP clearly said that they are not interested in calling a Realtor every time they want to know something. Therefore, until they are ready to make a purchase, they can simply use the HAR tool to get a range rather than taking up the time of a Realtor. I simply read into the post, that they were "thinking" about investing, therefore it's not hurting anyone to give them advice that they can utilize before calling someone who's main goal is to "sell" them a property. Just my 2cents!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 PM

469 posts, read 1,480,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
True, many agents don't enter school names, they'll enter the ISD & that's it. I wish realtors had to enter the 3 schools for that listing, it's the right thing to do. Funny, I notice when listings are zoned to desirable schools, the realtor most always enters the schools names, in poor performing schools....the realtor often "forgets" to enter those school names.

I've always wished for a way to enter school names & get the listings for that school. True, you can do it by subdivisions, but inside Houston that gets tricky with all the strange school zone lines.
I couldn't agree with you more. Once I obtain my brokers license I plan on developing a custom home search that will pull data from other spots to help provide more information to the buyer. I believe that an agent can provide value to the transaction for a seller through reputation. If the agent has a rep. disclosing everything about a seller's property that buyers would be willing to pay a slight premium for that agents listings. This ideal comes from a number of studies on other expensive products.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 PM

The OP said that they are interested in "investing", meaning that they're more than likely looking for investment properties, not a home for themselves to raise a family. In addition the OP clearly said that they are not interested in calling a Realtor every time they want to know something. Therefore, until they are ready to make a purchase, they can simply use the HAR tool to get a range rather than taking up the time of a Realtor. I simply read into the post, that they were "thinking" about investing, therefore it's not hurting anyone to give them advice that they can utilize before calling someone who's main goal is to "sell" them a property. Just my 2cents![/quote]

It doesn't matter whether it's an investment property or a owner occupied home, the end result is he wants to know how to find out what something sold for in the past. I stand by the statement that the realtor is the best avenue for finding this information out.
The fact that he doesn't want to go to a realtor tells me this; he want's the info that the realtor has, but doesn't want to be bothered/hounded by the realtor to purchase. My recommendation to solve this problem would be to find a good realtor and tell them the truth. (I know, novel idea) Let the realtor know you are in the "information gathering stages" and that you will need some info from time to time but are not ready to buy just yet. Then once you find something your interested in you will let the realtor know. Sounds like a simple solution to me?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,418,062 times
Those prices are like some sections of Memorial Northwest up in Klein.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Those prices are like some sections of Memorial Northwest up in Klein.

Yeah I noticed that; why are the prices so depressed in that neighborhood? You go through there and it looks like Beverly Hills (without the hills) Lots of 6000-8000 sq ft mansions on decent size lots selling for $50-$60 a ft. It seems nice in there, what am I missing??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: