Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Well said Missy!! Have you moved yet??
Packers come on the 7th and 8th and we load on the 9th with delivery sometime that weekend. We think we will be camping out for the fourth! Hate that we have to wait so long to get back!! Closing on the 29th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
You can get much nicer homes in that price range!!! If you do not have a Realtor get one. Research who the top selling agent is in that area. They usually work very closely with the new home agents and can get you wonderful discounts on a new home. Much better deals than you would ever get going in by yourself and saying you are not working with a Realtor. They discount you but not nearly enough. That is of course if you have a great Realtor who will give back to the new home builder their % for bringing you in. Some will and some won't. Ours always does. They even know who is willing to negotiate and who is not on resale homes.
Again very pretty house but for that price you can get a WOW home and not just a pretty home that is 9 yrs old and will need updating for resale and repairs soon I am sure. Shop around and do not get emotionally attached to a home. The way the market is anything can happen at the last minute.
Tip from one who just finished shopping around, make sure you are pre-approved and NOT just pre-qualified. Make sure you have the letter in hand for your Realtor. It will make the process go much more smoothly!
Also speaking from a homeowners view who is trying to sell their home DO NOT waste peoples time. In most cases these days if you have a house you have to sell first get a contract on it before you going to look. I can not tell you how many people have come by our home to only to say oh we need to sell first. That is a major waste of time for the seller and irritates them to no end. At least I know it does me! ( Yah, Yah yah it goes with selling a home I know but still!!) I have two young children who I have to scramble to get out of the house for every visit and to make sure the house is gleaming every morning to only be told oh they were just out looking around and not ready to buy till they sell.
We had somebody who stopped by not once but twice the other night who was late for their original appointment and then wasted two hours of our time because they do not even have their house on the market yet. It was a at dinner time which ended up being at bedtime and it was not a quick in and out. They spent 45 minutes in the house the second time around! Common courtesy. Of course that is just my rant.
Also from a buyers perspective, if you are selling a $300,000 home you better be sure to make it gleaming! You are competing against new homes in most cases who are more than likely in the end only thousands away from your pricing wether you realize it or not. New home builders have the ability to discount and it hurts you the seller big time! We fully were prepared to go and buy a used home this time around but were just dumbstruck on how many people just were like whatever. There were maybe four homes in the 15 we looked at that were awesome competition for the new home builders. Realtors will say oh you can always get a house cleaned but to me the way your home shows is a reflection on how well it was taken care of while you lived in it.
Let me rephrase that, do not look unless you already have your home on the market!! I was on a rant. Sorry!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 PM

9 posts, read 16,142 times
I've looked at some new homes, but they are much more expensive. For this price, I can maybe buy a new 3000 sq. ft. home from a decent builder. The problem with new homes are the base price + upgrades that wind up costing nearly half the price of the home with a little backyard (8500-9000 sq. ft. lot). I love having space, I feel it is a luxury. 1000-1300 additional sq.ft. is a lot. In addition, the lot size on this home is over 11,000 sq. ft. It has all the curtains, blinds, wood floors, crown moldings, landscaping, sprinkler system, 2 master bedrooms...things I want priced at the target price I want in a home; however, since the market is good for buyers the price is going to be negotiable. After all who really pays full listing price these day? But if there is a new house with 4000 or more sq. ft. with these options at this price, let me know.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlyn2 View Post
I've looked at some new homes, but they are much more expensive. For this price, I can maybe buy a new 3000 sq. ft. home from a decent builder. The problem with new homes are the base price + upgrades that wind up costing nearly half the price of the home with a little backyard (8500-9000 sq. ft. lot). I love having space, I feel it is a luxury. 1000-1300 additional sq.ft. is a lot. In addition, the lot size on this home is over 11,000 sq. ft. It has all the curtains, blinds, wood floors, crown moldings, landscaping, sprinkler system, 2 master bedrooms...things I want priced at the target price I want in a home; however, since the market is good for buyers the price is going to be negotiable. After all who really pays full listing price these day? But if there is a new house with 4000 or more sq. ft. with these options at this price, let me know.
17411 Lake Chelan Ln, Humble, TX 77346 - HAR.com

14711 Banner Ridge Ln, Humble, TX 77396 - HAR.com

14803 Stellas Point Ct, Humble, TX 77396 - HAR.com

And if you wanted to up the ante just a littele: 2322 River Blossom Ln, Humble, TX 77345 - HAR.com

I know not all of these homes have everything that's on your list. Just letting you know that there are other good deals out there too. But I think it's a pretty good deal. I would offer below $300,000 for it though.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
17411 Lake Chelan Ln, Humble, TX 77346 - HAR.com

14711 Banner Ridge Ln, Humble, TX 77396 - HAR.com

14803 Stellas Point Ct, Humble, TX 77396 - HAR.com

And if you wanted to up the ante just a littele: 2322 River Blossom Ln, Humble, TX 77345 - HAR.com

I know not all of these homes have everything that's on your list. Just letting you know that there are other good deals out there too. But I think it's a pretty good deal. I would offer below $300,000 for it though.
Certainly not above $300,000. We actually could have gotten a brand new home on an over 10,000 sq ft lot in Summerwood with approx 3800 sq ft new for below $300,000. We also could have gotten an almost 4,000 sg ft home in Eagle Springs new for in the $320s if we had wanted to go that high up. Certainly deals are out there to be had! Keep in mind the age of the home as well. Probably in another 6 years you will need a new roof if not now due to hurricane force wind damage. A roof on a 4300 sq ft house is scary to think abt! Also look where it sits via the crow flying as far as the dump is concerned. I have read concerns on this somewhere for certain parts of SW.
If it is a house that you just LOVE then go for it but certainly talk that price down and know if you go to sell what the house already lacks it will be even harder to sell down the road unless you upgrade it. All too much to think abt and makes my head want to explode.
Good luck and hope you do love the house and that all works out great for ya! Though buying and selling is a nightmare is is quite fun too!

Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 16,142 times
Thanks for the advice. You are absolute right, looking for a house just makes you head want to explode. There are just so much to consider...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston