Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:04 AM

82 posts, read 80,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
And by 1969 I started taking night club pictures and I worked at the Dome Shadows...

A few years later, I dated a hot little red head who had won a 'hot pants' contest at the Dome Shadows. Great club.

Also remember KPFT's broadcast being bombed. Generally accepted as being HPD but nobody was ever pegged for it. And it happened again.

And the shoot out on Dowling. Blacks against the HPD. I guess that's over now.
I worked at KPFT during the early to mid-70's, and the perpetrators of the bombings were Ku Klux Klan members, not HPD-they were arrested and sent to prison. The shoot outs on Dowling, etc., were when Herman Short was police chief (I think he was actually a real good chief).

Any pics of the redhead? I loved hot pants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space City Native View Post
I'd like to ressurrect this thread with my 1st post. I guess it should make me feel old, but I remember these commercials, and if I remember correctly,he jumped into a pool with a vcr (remember those?) that tenants would get for signing a new lease. That was a crime infested area, and as far as I know it still is.
The girl had the VCR.

Shortly after he developed those, they outlawed singles apartments and the first oil bust occurred and the whole area went downhill fast.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:39 PM

Speaking of KPFT, here's the whole crew, including me-what a bunch of scruffy hippies! But I loved the styles back then. I think this is the only group pic that was ever taken of the crew-it's been posted online, with the date of 1970, but it actually was taken in the summer of 1972. The picture was taken on the roof of the Atlanta Life Insurance building at 618 Prairie-the station was on the 2nd floor. The building was torn down years ago, but before it was the station moved to its present location on Lovett in 1975-that was the last year I was with the station.
Attached Thumbnails
Remembering the late 60's and early 70's in Houston-kpftgroup.jpg  

Old 08-08-2016, 05:58 PM

427 posts, read 440,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The girl had the VCR.
B
Shortly after he developed those, they outlawed singles apartments and the first oil bust occurred and the whole area went downhill fast.
As I recall it was a complex on Gulfton at possibly Chimney Rock. I remember the commercials but can't remember the name of the guy or of the apartment complex.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:12 PM

How about this 1974 HPD Gremlin? The Gremlins replaced three wheeled motorcycles for 'point control' (downtown traffic control). Notice the "Traffic Bureau" label on the door-back then the HPD cars would indicate whether they were Radio Patrol, Park Police, etc. I loved the sky blue color that they painted HPD cars for years-I think it was a unique color that they mixed up just for the patrol cars. Those were the good old days!

The Gremlins, and other AMC cars were terribly made vehicles, though. I had a 1975 AMC Matador that, although it looked sporty, was falling apart whe nit came off the assembly line. HPD bought a bunch of Matadors for undercover work that looked exactly like my car!
Attached Thumbnails
Remembering the late 60's and early 70's in Houston-houston-police-amc-gremlin.jpg  

Old 08-10-2016, 05:05 PM

The Houston skyline in the 60's, with the Humble building at the far right, which was the tallest buliding in town at the time (we took field trips to the observation deck of that building when I was in elementary school) and the Sheraton-Lincoln hotel, which succumbed to the wrecking ball a few years ago-the Beatles stayed there in 1965.
Attached Thumbnails
Remembering the late 60's and early 70's in Houston-skyline.jpg  

Old 08-10-2016, 07:47 PM

I couldn't resist posting this, what HPD cars looked like when I was a kid, with city hall and the Bank of the Southwest building in the distance-not sure if that's Memorial Drive or Allen Parkway that these cops are watching
Attached Thumbnails
Remembering the late 60's and early 70's in Houston-hpdcar3crop.jpg  

Old 08-10-2016, 08:22 PM

I remember when the Astrodome first opened, and my father used to take me there for baseball games-Houston's baseball team had just been renamed the Astros in honor of the new space center (previously the Colt 45's-anybody remember old Colt Stadium?). Anyway, when the Dome was built, a presidential suite was built into it-a palatial affair that no president ever actually slept in-here's a pic of part of it. Remember when Houston was called the Astrodome City? How things have changed. Now they're talking about demolishing the Dome, and it's supposedly unsafe to be used? Unbelievable. What a waste.
Attached Thumbnails
Remembering the late 60's and early 70's in Houston-astrodome.jpg  

Old 08-12-2016, 10:21 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times
This is such a long thread I don't know if I've already told this story, but I love it.

Back in the 60s, the wives of men in the oil and gas business would often have lunch at the Petroleum Club on the top floor of the Exxon Building. I think it was called the Humble Building back then.

Anyway, my Mom and her best friend were all excited about having been invited to a luncheon there , and they wanted to dress their best. This sounds like something Lucy would come up with on I Love Lucy, but one of them decided they would spray paint their purses gold so as to look more glamorous at the luncheon. So they did that.

So...they got to the luncheon, put their freshly spray painted purses on the floor by their chairs, and had lunch. When it was time to leave, neither one of them could pick up their purses. The purses had stuck to the floor because of the fresh gold spray paint!

Old 01-27-2019, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
I grew up near Channel 13 off of Wesleyan. I attended Will Rogers, Lanier and Pershing Jr highs and Lamar. The old Will Rogers site is now a Costco. I remember the old Michael Pollock commercials. He had a large bill board with featuring his face just inside the 610 Loop across from the Galleria. Some pre med Rice students I knew climbed the bill board one night and set off a black powder bomb that blackened Pollock’s smile. It stayed that way for a few weeks. All three guys went on to med school and have had successful careers as MDs. Well one did have to leave Houston to attend a different medical school after a party we threw at his house got way, way out of control. Sorry about that Raymond.

Pollock’s sizable development is now a third world ghetto run by the SW Chulo’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston