Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,685,799 times

Advertisements

A man's death is just not the right forum to gloat about where you've purchased your home. And the "irony" of this crime when people make a big deal of north of the bayou being safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloon View Post
Not trying to be inappropriate. It's a terrible thing that happened. It was never my goal to make light of a man losing his life. For all I know it could be the brother/cousin/father/uncle of one of my wife's students. I certainly won't be telling her about this because I don't want her to worry about going to work there. If she finds out, she finds out, but there's no reason for her to fear for her safety because she drives past it daily. I would certainly not wish this situation on anyone.

Regardless, I do find it terribly ironic to see this posted here now after just reading post after post about how much better the north of the bayou zips are than the south of the bayou.

My point is still that violent crime can follow you no matter how much you spend and where you are. There are apartments everywhere and these things tend to follow them (happens in houses too - but disproportionately in apartments). I could have easily, and actually thought a lot about, spending 100-150k more and being house poor to live IN THAT EXACT NEIGHBORHOOD. How much better would I feel about it right now?

Regardless, I'll still say a prayer for the victims of this tragedy. And I hope they catch the pieces of crap that did it. We don't need people like that anywhere around town.
Eloon, if you live where you bought and she works at Nottingham Elem., she's going to be driving by far worse complexes than this one to get to work. But honestly, they focus on each other. Most of the crime in the these units are resident on resident.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 AM

19 posts, read 70,633 times
I agree with easilyamused! Its something about those apartment complexes in houston! For example the southwestside is not as bad as people make it to be.. Its the apartments where 95 percent of the crime is at.. Bissonet, fondren, bellaire rd. Gessner are nice if you live in a house for the most part.. Its the apartments!!

I dont know about nottingham oaks but be you be careful in the apartment complexes in houston (where the rent is not very high) because anybody can move in them.. And to be honest 5th ward and hiram clarke are safer then those areas with a high concentration of apartments.. You might not believe that but i think its true!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,497,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoonieJR View Post
I agree with easilyamused! Its something about those apartment complexes in houston! For example the southwestside is not as bad as people make it to be.. Its the apartments where 95 percent of the crime is at.. Bissonet, fondren, bellaire rd. Gessner are nice if you live in a house for the most part.. Its the apartments!!

I dont know about nottingham oaks but be you be careful in the apartment complexes in houston (where the rent is not very high) because anybody can move in them.. And to be honest 5th ward and hiram clarke are safer then those areas with a high concentration of apartments.. You might not believe that but i think its true!
Very true indeed. Alief has many quiet neighborhoods. The apartments have ruined Alief's reputation.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:42 PM

243 posts, read 484,201 times
Default You Can Run But You Can't Hide

You can't run and hide from crime regardless of where you go. This is not unique to Houston but it may be more prevalent here due to a large concentration of poor folks. The suburbs used to be a haven for escaping from it all but I think the suburbs have gotten even worse than the inner city due to all the cheap land that developers built apartments and crackerbox houses on. It's going to get more prevalent as we see a greater gap forming between the upper and lower classes along with a disappearing middle class.

Unless you have $1.5 million to drop on a house in a gated, inner loop community, you are going to have to put up with violent crimes occuring around you. Despite all this, most of the time, even in rotten neighborhoods, if you aren't out looking for trouble, you probably don't have to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston