Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:05 PM

84 posts, read 205,451 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned

What really frightens me is all the genetically modified seed that agricultural companies are experimenting with, with little information available to the public. In Hawaii, one of the major seed companies is growing fields of genetically modified crops that supposedly have been sequestered from cross-pollination with other plants, but if even one plant cross pollinates, a whole field of unmodified crops could become "contaminated." I'm not saying let's automatically shut the whole operation down, but I'd like to see some serious studies, with information made public, about the effects of genetically modified crops. Especially before those genetically modified crops are put into my food.

Last edited by Bo; 06-29-2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you quoted and the portion of your post that replied to it was deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 02:03 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
What really frightens me is all the genetically modified seed that agricultural companies are experimenting with, with little information available to the public. In Hawaii, one of the major seed companies is growing fields of genetically modified crops that supposedly have been sequestered from cross-pollination with other plants, but if even one plant cross pollinates, a whole field of unmodified crops could become "contaminated." I'm not saying let's automatically shut the whole operation down, but I'd like to see some serious studies, with information made public, about the effects of genetically modified crops. Especially before those genetically modified crops are put into my food.
What do you think selective breeding and natural selection are? They are genetic modifications over longer periods of time. Of course we need to study the effects of genetically modified food but people, for one reason or another, automatically assign negative connotations to genetic modifications.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM

98 posts, read 337,815 times
I'm with tstone. Give me a nice juicy burger, I don't need to know all the details about it's origins. Love my bacon, too!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:27 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
I'm with tstone. Give me a nice juicy burger, I don't need to know all the details about it's origins. Love my bacon, too!
Man... I haven't had a burger in about a month. I really, really want one now. With bacon and swiss. Sauteed mushrooms and onions. Fresh tomatoes. A little bit of lettuce. My god, I'm drooling on my keyboard. I don't care how many steroids that cow was injected with, and I don't care how many genetic modifications have been made to the tomatoes, I just want it, and I want it NOW!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 AM

88 posts, read 191,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Why?
They basically put 500+ pigs in a big room, then the "ceiling" closes in on them squashing them all to death. Was kind of nasty.

This really wasn't a "gross out" movie. There were some scenes that were gross. But what scares me the most is the "corporatization" of the food industry in this country.

Do you realize all the beef in this country is processed through 4 or 5 massive plants. So if some beef is found to be contaminated in this country, that means roughly 20% of the rest of the beef could potentially be.

That ground beef isn't from one cow, it is in fact tens of thousands of cattle ground together. That ground beef is soaked in ammonia.

That ONE company "owns" 90% of the soybeans in this country because they have the patent on a genetically altered soybean (which 90% of the soybeans in this country are now). The fact they are "legally" able to put legit farmers out of business as well as seed washers is appalling.

That our government subsidizes corn making it so cheap to make crap food for us thus making BROCCOLI cost more than a cheeseburger from McDonald's (how sad). (This right here speaks volumes to me with regard to our healthcare system… if our government would subsidize produce on a whole, more people would be much healthier.

Oh lets not forget all the government agencies that are suppose to protect us by closely watching these companies are in bed with the same companies…Most of the people in charge of the FDA came from these companies

I am not a hippie or crazy fool. I am a born and bread meat loving Texan, I have been eating healthy for many years now (after figuring out how sick I felt after eating fast food when I was a teen). This movie showed me that I have choices, although more expensive, but choices I can make with regards to chicken, eggs, dairy and grass fed beef that I can get locally.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Some posts above were deleted. Before posting a reply of your own, take a minute to review and consider the following section of the Terms of Service.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Last edited by Bo; 06-29-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Of course we need to study the effects of genetically modified food but people,......
You said everything you need to say with that comment. If it hasn't been tested, just WHY is it on the market??? The FDA is just rubber-stamping everything Monsanto (and the other producers of GMO) want. This isn't regulation....this is promotion.

This is the reason I'll stick to eating organic whenever possible.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Man... I haven't had a burger in about a month. I really, really want one now. With bacon and swiss. Sauteed mushrooms and onions. Fresh tomatoes. A little bit of lettuce. My god, I'm drooling on my keyboard. I don't care how many steroids that cow was injected with, and I don't care how many genetic modifications have been made to the tomatoes, I just want it, and I want it NOW!
Is it any wonder that health care costs in this country are sky high? It appears there are still an awful lot of people in this country that don't care what they put into their bodies.

The corporations sell food that is bad for one's health, then the hospitals make money off curing those that eat it. Is this any way to run an economy....or one's life?

Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 AM

298 posts, read 954,469 times
^Agreed. And in my observations, it seems that most people don't take time to read ingredients or research the companies they buy food from.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 AM

258 posts, read 954,294 times
Whoa that is crazy about the ceiling crushing the pigs.. I have a crazy mental picture.

Was it some type of hidden camera?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: