Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 18,917 times

Advertisements

I think our trip charge was much lower than the one quoted above, but that might just be because we were committing to much more time with all of the packing and unpacking. It would probably be worth a call because the service is great, but it doesn't look like you could keep it under $350 with 3 Men Movers. They were very efficient, though, so assuming that you don't have an above average amount of stuff to move and your new place isn't extremely far, you might have a better chance of keeping it around 2 hours with them as opposed to another service which may have lower hourly charges but take longer. They would probably be able to give you a good idea of whether they would likely be able to do your move in 2 hours, too. I wouldn't describe 3 Men Movers as "budget" movers, but overall for our purposes they offered a good value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,714,927 times
Are they on time?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,831,861 times
2000k?

Can't ya all do it yourself? God, I would NEVER pay this much. I always do it myself. Rent a truck ( maybe 150-200 per week) and ask friends to help... Or do it yourself. Moving can be fun and it will be WAY cheaper.

I wouldn't even want to pay them 200 bucks to move my stuff.. It's just a waste of money imo.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
2000k?

Can't ya all do it yourself? God, I would NEVER pay this much. I always do it myself. Rent a truck ( maybe 150-200 per week) and ask friends to help... Or do it yourself. Moving can be fun and it will be WAY cheaper.

I wouldn't even want to pay them 200 bucks to move my stuff.. It's just a waste of money imo.
Time is money.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:22 PM

Don't tell me you can't do it on the weekend or after work. You're not busy 24/7.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Don't tell me you can't do it on the weekend or after work. You're not busy 24/7.
Thats not the point.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:28 PM

447 posts, read 1,759,110 times
two hours doesn't seem very long- is that for loading and unloading? When we moved a month or so ago, they told us the average was about 4 hours total. (And we were only moving from a 2 bed apt. to a new house less than 10 miles away.

In the end, we ended up renting a truck and moving ourselves. It did take all day, (but it was just me and my husband); and we had to move a washer and dryer. But it was a lot cheaper. I think we paid around 200.00 for the truck/gas/insurance on a Saturday with no notice (we called them on Friday to reserve the truck)

We figured the cheapest anyone was going to move us was about 500.00, so we saved 300.00. And yes, time is money, but we weren't working on Saturday anyway. And the extra 300.00 we saved was very handy when moving into a new place.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:39 PM

4 posts, read 18,917 times
Quote:
No, not 24/7, but I was on an extended business trip and so wasn't around to help at all, and my husband's job was in a super crazy period, which meant lots of working not just during the work week, but on nights and weekends as well. Not that we're complaining about being busy with work in this economy! But, that basically meant that the only free hours for packing would have been the few hours he gets to spend sleeping, which was not workable. And, while our friends would have been willing to help, they all have careers and families and we're sort of past the point where I feel okay asking them to give up the free time they do have when we can afford to have professionals do it.

I agree, though, that if you have the time you can move much more cheaply if you do it yourself. It's just a trade-off of time versus money and the value of each is different depending on your situation.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Thats not the point.

Sorry, I forogt.... 24/7 on city data

Old 07-05-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeCoop View Post
No, not 24/7, but I was on an extended business trip and so wasn't around to help at all, and my husband's job was in a super crazy period, which meant lots of working not just during the work week, but on nights and weekends as well. Not that we're complaining about being busy with work in this economy! But, that basically meant that the only free hours for packing would have been the few hours he gets to spend sleeping, which was not workable. And, while our friends would have been willing to help, they all have careers and families and we're sort of past the point where I feel okay asking them to give up the free time they do have when we can afford to have professionals do it.

I agree, though, that if you have the time you can move much more cheaply if you do it yourself. It's just a trade-off of time versus money and the value of each is different depending on your situation.

Yeah, it dosen't apply to 100% of the people... some do have reasons. But I see people using it who don't have anyything better to do all day long.
I did it myself. Houston is not as big as L.A... if I was moving from San Dimas to Santa Monica... it might be a good idea. They offer the Trucks here at reasonable rates. Maybe I'm just cheap But anything over 500 for Houston seems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston