U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:41 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,246,615 times

Advertisements

So where do felons who have gone through the 'system', paid their dues, etc., go to live if they can't get an apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:44 AM

39 posts, read 97,255 times
At the apartment complex located at I-10 and Katy Freeway/beltway - 8

Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,788,414 times
^^^^^ Yes, The Skylane Apartments. The registered sex offenders have to live somewhere right!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 AM

298 posts, read 626,031 times
Oh dear - bless the Skylanes. When I lived in First Montrose Commons, the Skylane at the Spur was where all our crime stats were hovering...

Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 PM

160 posts, read 443,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
So where do felons who have gone through the 'system', paid their dues, etc., go to live if they can't get an apartment?

Back to prison usually. Apartments are out there, but many screen for felonies-- and smart felons just get the apartment in someone else's name.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,626,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
It all depends on the apartment complex. Usually (if they check at all) it is an automated system. Your name and SS are typed in and you'll either get a yay or nay because of the severity of your criminal background. If the complex actually checks, It is much easier to get an apartment with bad credit than a criminal record.
Bad credit means higher deposit.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:44 AM

36 posts, read 63,748 times
Yesterday I filled out a long multipage online application form, and didn't list a place we rented nine years ago. I though it wasn't relevant that long ago, and honestly was tired of all the questions and googling for phone numbers and such. The address does show on our (spotless) credit report. Would that be a problem? I'm thinking of calling them Monday, or should I just let them bring it up if they see it as a problem. There were no issues, we just moved to a more upscale place where the rent doubled.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 AM

19 posts, read 44,568 times
Just because they don't allow ppl with felonies to move in, does not mean that ppl with felonies dont move in.. They get their babymama to get the apartment then they move in!! Lol.. I'm just keeping it real!! Its been happening for years in the 'hood

Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,298,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I guess credit issue would be writing bad checks and then going to collections.
Writing a bad check is against the law. It's called Theft by Check. I know this because it's happened to me in the past. I wrote a post-dated check back in college and forgot about it. When school was over, I closed by bank account, and moved back home. The check hadn't been cashed yet. About a year later I was pulled over by a state trooper for not having a front license plate on my car. They arrested me because I had a warrant for the bad check.

It's not a felony charge though.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:08 PM

160 posts, read 443,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt79 View Post
Yesterday I filled out a long multipage online application form, and didn't list a place we rented nine years ago. I though it wasn't relevant that long ago, and honestly was tired of all the questions and googling for phone numbers and such. The address does show on our (spotless) credit report. Would that be a problem? I'm thinking of calling them Monday, or should I just let them bring it up if they see it as a problem. There were no issues, we just moved to a more upscale place where the rent doubled.
Shouldn't be an issue. The only thing that matters in your credit report is the score and whether or not you have any skips/evictions/foreclosures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston