Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:59 PM

497 posts, read 1,484,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Climate Bill should help.
Oh good God.

There is not a single stitch of evidence that CO2 contributes to global warming - much less man produced CO2 which is a tiny fraction of the total. There is a 1/2 million dollar prize available to anyone who can show proof - it is unclaimed.

Warming nuts point to land based temperature measurements - which have zero scientific validity or computer models - which sound scientific but are not. The computer model predictions have been grossly inaccurate - I won't go into their base validity. There is the NASA satellite data which is valid (or at least it is now that Hansen's deliberate distortion of the data has been corrected). It shows no net warming for the last 12 years, and arguably almost none since around 1920.

Contrary to the BS now spouted by the slow to catch up media more scientists (those actually in field as compared to the UN's panel of jokers) tend to discount anthropogenic CO2 as a green house gas than support it. Many of the most prominent climatologists around the world lean against it rather than for it. A majority of them.

The only thing cap and trade will do is make a few people immensely wealthy and the rest of us very, very poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:02 PM

Here is a nice web post - my apologies to the author for reposting but I'm sure you won't care:

If we’re going to make drastic policy changes such as President Obama’s cap-and-trade scheme which is likely to raise Americans’ electric bills by 40% and kill thousands of jobs, we should be darn sure we’re doing it for a darn good reason–something that requires darn reliable data.

Aside from the fact that we’ve seen drastic temperature fluctuations going back thousands (millions) of years, and aside from the fact that planetary warming is occurring on other planets such as Mars and Jupiter where there are no SUVs or power plants, how reliable is our temperature data? You might be surprised.

Anthony Watts and about 650 volunteers have been checking the more than 1,200 monitoring stations around the United States and have made some interesting discoveries.

According to Watts’ website Watts Up With That, temperature readings at the vast majority of the sites they’ve surveyed (more than 70% of the total) are off by several degrees.

What could account for these discrepancies?

Well, a number of monitoring stations have been in place for decades. When they first began collecting data, they were in undeveloped areas. Over the years, however, development has encroached, bringing with it lots of concrete and asphalt which soaks up heat from the sun.

Consider also the site in Marysville, California where a monitoring station is just a few feet from a large air conditioning vent which spews out lots of hot air. There is also plenty of the aforementioned concrete and asphalt around to heat things up, too.

Notice also that in one experiment, different readings were obtained based on the type of paint used on the monitoring station, and all temps varied considerably from the air temperature.

Data from satellites and surface monitoring stations sometimes disagrees significantly, as well.

Of course, even if temperatures on Earth have indeed climbed in recent decades, data now indicates temps have leveled off.

And the cause of any warming remains the key question.

Given that we have undoubtedly seen warmer periods far into earth’s history, and that warming has also been occurring on planets where there are no capitalists to mess things up, the most rational answer has to be “natural causes.”

Old 06-27-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
No, it will takes years to reduce the heat.
Years? Wow, really? Yeesh.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 PM

160 posts, read 715,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
Oh good God.

There is not a single stitch of evidence that CO2 contributes to global warming - much less man produced CO2 which is a tiny fraction of the total. There is a 1/2 million dollar prize available to anyone who can show proof - it is unclaimed.

Warming nuts point to land based temperature measurements - which have zero scientific validity or computer models - which sound scientific but are not. The computer model predictions have been grossly inaccurate - I won't go into their base validity. There is the NASA satellite data which is valid (or at least it is now that Hansen's deliberate distortion of the data has been corrected). It shows no net warming for the last 12 years, and arguably almost none since around 1920.

Contrary to the BS now spouted by the slow to catch up media more scientists (those actually in field as compared to the UN's panel of jokers) tend to discount anthropogenic CO2 as a green house gas than support it. Many of the most prominent climatologists around the world lean against it rather than for it. A majority of them.

The only thing cap and trade will do is make a few people immensely wealthy and the rest of us very, very poor.
Can you cite your sources? Land based measurements have zero validity? I assume you are saying ground level temperatures do not prove an overall warming trend? What do you mean by net warming over the last 12 years; are you saying there has been warming but there are other variables we can attribute it to? 12 years is a pretty poor indicator of anything on a terrestrial scale...

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
CapNTrade will bankrupt America long before it even has a prayer of changing climate. LMAO. The earth resets it's own thermostat. We've had a very mild 150 years, now we go back to the old normal.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:11 AM

663 posts, read 2,262,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I remember the summer of 1980 and it was BAD.
Have you been in Houston since 1980?

Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,673,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
Can you cite your sources? Land based measurements have zero validity? I assume you are saying ground level temperatures do not prove an overall warming trend? What do you mean by net warming over the last 12 years; are you saying there has been warming but there are other variables we can attribute it to? 12 years is a pretty poor indicator of anything on a terrestrial scale...
Yes, but the 100 or so years of recorded weather data is also a pretty poor indicator of anything on a terrestrial scale, but how often do we hear the Gore-bots screaming about hom many more hurricanes we have, how hotter it is, etc. etc. as an excuse to get pass crippling sanctions on the US economy in the name of "Global Warming?" It's sheer madness.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
My take on this is, as usual, in an unfashionable place - somewhere in the middle.

I don't think we're going to be sitting on the beachfront in Arkansas 50 years from now, but at the same time, it's something that needs to continue to be researched. One of those "I'm pretty sure but we need to be damned sure" sort of things. So you could say I'm neither Al Gore or one of the people who dismisses it all completely out of hand.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Considering that these are the same people mandating the change Mercury Filled Bulbs to save the planet (and think people are going to bag and throw them away at designated areas) and don't forsee a mercury filled water supply 100 years from now..............Kinda like these CO2 underground capture domes they want to build. Those will never leak right?

PS- If you accidentally break one of these bulbs, you must open all the windows and leave the room. Try this in a highrise. Then, you must triple bag and put the remains in a special box and take it to a special location to dispose. Um, yeah...I can see this happening.

I'm all for recylcing, going greener,using wind (but I will be NIMBY about it) but lets not make stupid mistakes that will cause more problems tomorrow and kill the economy today.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,262,881 times
Default You would think the US alone controls climate

If this Cap And Trade bill will save the planet, why is it the only "thing" that will save the planet? Why is the US then the only country in the world responsible to save it? 'Sounds like the US is blaming itself for something that is not proven beyond any doubt yet. 'Seems the only ones that will benefit are the carbon credit companies that will sell their credits. I think Al Gore set himself up pretty good... sort of like my handle, old Al 'Hooked The Brother Up'!

Anyway, Houston is still damn hot! I live out where the city meets the fields and farms, and it is really dead and dry. I don't know why they have not banned fireworks completely. Unless we get some rain before the 4th, I predict we will have some headlines regarding fires, or loss of life because of it, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: