Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:17 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

Regretfully I don't have much in the way of grit to show people this time. No graffiti, no abandoned buildings, nothing like that. I can just sense the disappointment.

Nope, this time we're going somewhere different.

So we'll take a left here off Shepherd onto Westheimer...

Somewhere, an HOA would have a fit over this yard. Not here though apparently. I think it's kinda cool myself.

Now we're going to see some freakin' huge houses. Ready for this?

No, it did not rain. They had just watered the grass. That said, lawns ranged from green to crunchy throughout my trip...

Some of these people have the best security money can buy. Indeed it kept the riffraff out when I was walking through the area. I didn't even entertain any thoughts of entering.

This is all something else for somebody who grew up in a town where $50K a year is a lot of money. Yet a few of these houses actually wouldn't look out of place in the nicer neighborhoods of Texas City.

Egads, Brain! A highrise right next to a house! Where were the "STOP RIVER OAKS HIGH RISE" signs? I guess they just kind of live with it here. And live well, I might add.

The Transco/Williams Tower isn't right in these people's backyards though; it's a little further away.

It's getting a little warm and I was thinking about turning around and finding a store or something to get a drink. But nah, turning right here on Willowick. I came this far to chicken out?

(Besides, there's a Shell station at the corner of Willowick and San Felipe, if I recall correctly.)

(I think there is....)

Eureka.

This is what I came here for.

My Gatorade was lukewarm though. These River Oaks folks are underserved.

Anyway, the key to being out and about in the heat is to....

...stay hydrated, by any means necessary. Totally digging the self-timer on the camera here.

The water was hot, but this still felt good.

Anyway, after a little break, time to carry on.

Yeah, this street's really called Chevy Chase.

Some unorthodox looking houses are to be found here. Try finding this in the burbs.

As the late Rod Roddy used to say, All this can be yours if the price is right...say a million or five.

please....let me play in your sprinkler....let me water your plants....please?

FOR GOD'S SAKE LET THE BOY PLAY IN YOUR SPRINKLER! IT'S HOT OUTSIDE! AND HE'S A GOOD KID!

Remember that from SNL back in the day?

Oh yeah, one other thing I neglected to mention earlier - while MD Anderson leads the fight against cancer, it begins with you. Protect yourself.

You know what would be really good right about now? Some frozen lemonade.

Wait....what's this?

"That way?" But where?

Here?

No...

Well goshdernit I can't find it. And it's getting hot. Like, I need to get inside hot. Unfortunately I don't much know people here in River Oaks.

There was one nice couple a little way back that asked if I was doing photos for Google street view.

Despite all the wealth here, people generally seem to be well grounded here. Maybe it's old money vs. new money, who knows. These people go out about town in T-shirts and jeans just like anyone else, and you'd have little idea this is where they live.

They even coexist with public transportation. Wonder what they'd think of rail on Westheimer.

It's a long way back to Shepherd.

One thing that's important when you're out in the heat is to know your limits. This little walk showed me I have a lot to learn.

Pushing on though. That 35 Fairview bus doesn't run on the weekends.

This is a limbo stick for Yao Ming.

If Yao Ming was standing right next to me he could provide some shade. Once I turned onto San Felipe here there was no shade like back on Willowick.

I need to get some fluids in me before I end up on a missing poster.

So yeah, no zoning and stuff.

Finally got to Shepherd. Taco Bell's as good a place as any.

(Being totally serious here, the manager at this Taco Bell - Store no. 1056 at Shepherd and Vermont - was very cool and set me up with a drink and had no problem with me coming in to cool off without eating anything. Very cool. Thanks.)

After leaving Taco Bell it was a little cooler and more breezy. Can definitely go with that, because the day's not finished.

What's that Cubs logo for?

Continuing down Shepherd...

Remember Saint Anne's awhile back? We've come full circle now.

Time to chill some more because I'm not finished today...

But I'm done with this one. The other's to come shortly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:42 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Great... you're an ambassador to Houston!

Thanks for the photos... you do a good job of showing the city to the world through your photos. A snaphsot in time of how Houston is at the moment. And let me add, you are crazy for being out in this heat!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:47 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Great pics! When are you doing an east end run?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
And let me add, you are crazy for being out in this heat!
Only thing really crazy I did was not bring any fluids on me while going to a place with not many places to just duck into and get something to drink/cool off.

Summer's short, and so is life. Can't let a little heat cramp your style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Great pics! When are you doing an east end run?
Is this a request?

Can't say for sure when but I think the East End should be the next stop. Maybe come in from Midtown via Third Ward. Oooh, scary.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Dude...I probably just missed you at that Starbucks on Shepherd! Judging by the sun it looks like we were in there shortly after.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Only thing really crazy I did was not bring any fluids on me while going to a place with not many places to just duck into and get something to drink/cool off.

Summer's short, and so is life. Can't let a little heat cramp your style.

Is this a request?

Can't say for sure when but I think the East End should be the next stop. Maybe come in from Midtown via Third Ward. Oooh, scary.
Or from downtown via Harrisburg, scarier yet!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 PM

232 posts, read 701,323 times
River Oaks...It is just a different world there. When I came here...the homes reminded me a lot of where I grew up, Highland Park.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:55 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Fabulous pics!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,697 times
Beautiful pictures really enjoyed them!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
I was in RO today, nobody was outside. We only went into a few shops and I'm so beat up from the heat. It wipes you out!

I don't know how Jfre made it on that long walk yesterday....and in a black shirt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston