Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:52 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times

Advertisements

Well, as you can see thos 15 crimes happened on campus. Yeah, it's nowhere 100% safe. Third ward is jsut not known as a safe place to be. But U of H could do much more to protect the students on campus.

Btw, U of H has some expensive luxury dorms. They care called " Calhoun Lofts". Just would not leave after dark. But it's an alternative. You might even be able to get them cheaper right now. This lady keeps calling and bugging me just cause I emailed them 2 months ago asking how much they were. Trying real bad to talk me into living there. Looks like they can't rent them all out. That's why I would think they have some nice deals right now - maybe not, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Well, as you can see thos 15 crimes happened on campus. Yeah, it's nowhere 100% safe. Third ward is jsut not known as a safe place to be. But U of H could do much more to protect the students on campus.

Btw, U of H has some expensive luxury dorms. They care called " Calhoun Lofts". Just would not leave after dark. But it's an alternative. You might even be able to get them cheaper right now. This lady keeps calling and bugging me just cause I emailed them 2 months ago asking how much they were. Trying real bad to talk me into living there. Looks like they can't rent them all out. That's why I would think they have some nice deals right now - maybe not, I don't know.
3rd Ward is not bad. We walk around this area all the time and have not had nothing happen to us yet. Just stay south of Elgin (You won't really have need to be in that area unless going to the bookstore and getting something to eat) and you'll be fine.

After the dark, lots of students stay at the recreation room or that new pub across the street from it. The campus dosen't become completely dead until about 12 in the morning.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:30 AM

6 posts, read 31,944 times
there are parts of 3rd Ward that there are very seedy as are the parts that are really nice which makes you scratch your head oddly...

like someone said, you gotta have a car and you don't have to live in fear just take the common precautions you would normally take.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:11 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Click on the dots and it tells you what the crimes were.

A couple of room mates at one of the apt complexes got in a fight. someone got something stolen out of their gym bag. Someone lost their wallet at the bookstore, a couple of cars got broken into in the parking lot.
What modster said. Here are some verbatim descriptions of the crimes:

"A staff member reported that someone stole personal items from her unattended and unsecured gym bag."

"A student reported that she lost her wallet and when she contacted her bank she found that someone used her debit card to make purchases without her consent."

"A UH DPS officer stopped a student for traveling at a high rate of speed in Lot 11 A. The officer arrested the student for Driving While Intoxicated and transported the student to Harris County Jail. The student also received a Student Life Referral."

Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 AM

153 posts, read 526,473 times
I have lived in 3rd Ward for about 4 years while I went to school (TSU) and walked back and forth to U of H all the times. Is the area the safest part of the city? No, absolutly not. Is the area gritty? Yes again. The area immediately around the university is fine; this is Houston and you really dont have any reason to venture off too far anyway. Just use some street smarts and you will be fine and if you have a car even better but if oyu dont you will still be fine. This IS city living!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
I don't think anyone is going to say the area around Elgin isn't the hood. But to make a blanket statement that EVERYTHING around UH is bad and dangerous is patently false.

Those photos show the areas to the south, and it is more than "a few nice houses," it is a large swath of territory. Travelguy lives in Eastwood, right across 45 from UH, it is very up & coming.

That doesn't mean UH area is crime free. It is an urban area, but even the very exclusive areas around Rice have had episodes of muggings, right there in Southampton.

There are options in the immediate area if you are knowledgeable. The areas to avoid are pretty obvious.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:02 AM

686 posts, read 3,716,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I don't think anyone is going to say the area around Elgin isn't the hood. But to make a blanket statement that EVERYTHING around UH is bad and dangerous is patently false.

Those photos show the areas to the south, and it is more than "a few nice houses," it is a large swath of territory. Travelguy lives in Eastwood, right across 45 from UH, it is very up & coming.

That doesn't mean UH area is crime free. It is an urban area, but even the very exclusive areas around Rice have had episodes of muggings, right there in Southampton.

There are options in the immediate area if you are knowledgeable. The areas to avoid are pretty obvious.
Seems like anything North of Elgin and west and a bit south of TSU are gritty, but thre rest looks pretty nice. ??

Old 07-01-2009, 08:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Seems like anything North of Elgin and west and a bit south of TSU are gritty, but thre rest looks pretty nice. ??
West of TSU is pretty safe as well, Lots of students live in those neighborhoods. Pretty much north of Elgin is where 3rd Ward gets pretty crazy, but even still it's not much to worry about.

Me and my friend call this area is the "college zone". Usually putting universities in bad areas can help lower crime.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,596 times
We bike along the Columbia Tap trail from Leeland down to the zoo every few weeks, and have never had a problem (except this guy on his front porch who regularly yells at us for rolling past the path stop signs ). Parts of the ride are sketchy for sure, and I wouldn't live in most of it, but IMO it's pretty harmless. Now fifth ward, that's another story.

I will say this: I feel safer in most of third ward than I do in the area surrounding USC. That is a school you don't leave at night.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 AM

686 posts, read 3,716,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
West of TSU is pretty safe as well, Lots of students live in those neighborhoods. Pretty much north of Elgin is where 3rd Ward gets pretty crazy, but even still it's not much to worry about.

Me and my friend call this area is the "college zone". Usually putting universities in bad areas can help lower crime.

hmmm. I love your last statement. Putting universities in bad areas lowers crime. I wonder if that has happened in the third ward? Is it safe to ride the public trans. through the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: