Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:01 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,386,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1913 View Post
I was looking at SCR at one point but after i heard about the Landfill expansion i quickly changed my mind.. the other side of 288 is really nice (ie:Silverlake)
Rodeo Palms is nice to (further south on 288). Construction of making 288 a freeway may cause some traffic, but not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:08 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,415,301 times
288 is going to become a mess no matter how you slice it. It's already a lot worse than it was 10 years ago and there will have to be more construction.

It's just a matter of whether they do that before or after they fix that obsolete 610/Gulf Freeway interchange.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 8,027 times
I have lived in SCR for over a year now and love it. The landfill was an issue but they were required to install a very involved system to eliminate odor and because of the media exposure, they are inspected weekly for toxins. Besides, its 2 miles from the dump to the center of SCR, you don't even see it so what is the difference? Houston is 11 miles and trust me there are sections much dirtier then the dump there

As for some of the other comments about the builders and the appraisers and the MTG. compaines working together, that is what they are supposed to do, help people get into their dream homes. My house was built by Meritage and they did an AMAZING job. Excellent quality and for a price that can't be touched anywhere in the area.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 AM

377 posts, read 1,341,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikentexas View Post
the builders and the appraisers and the MTG. compaines working together, that is what they are supposed to do.
SUPPOSED TO DO ? Well, I think they prefer to do that because that way EVERYTHING is included in one package and customer do not realize the behind-the-scene 'adjustments' and may not understand where (s)he is getting ripped off and question it. But in the same tone, If someone does not bother about those things and prefer the convenience of "bundle packages", OR not having time to follow-up on every aspect of his DREAM HOME purchase, it may make sense.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,657 times
Default Weather radar issue may stop landfill

There is an issue concerning the proposed height of the blue ridge landfill. Doppler radar systems for the houston metro area are located very near the landfill and raising the height would affect the accurracy of the radar! I do think the 5 million area residents protected by doppler radar will play a factor in raising the height of the landfill. This radar system is vital to houston with a city that gets 30 plus inches of rain per year, not to mention the close proximity to the gulf coast and most importantly, hurricanes. I have lived in scr for 3 years and love the community. SCR is beautifully maintained, the tress which were planted only 5-6 years ago are maturing very quickly, the lakes are surrounded by lovely homes and include lighted fountains. We feel like we live in a million dollar florida retirement community. SCR has miles of walking and bike paths, soccer fields, swimmings pools and tennis courts. Being retired we do not need to go into town but we go often because we can be in montrose area of houston in 18 minutes. I would not chose to live in the woodlands or katy because it really is nice to live so close to downtown, yet we here in SCR are really our own little town with about 8,000 residents I would estimate. The shopping developement is exploding with new stores on a monthly basis with a new macy's and the heb, acadamy just opened, ashley furnture, hobby lobby and countless other stores are opening up in and around Pearland Town Center. Silver Lake is also a very nice community, the whole area is just wonderful. I am very glad this part of the houston area remained dormant for so many years after 288 was completed in 1983 because it was developed properly, instead of becoming an area like 610 north up 45 which is so awful. I bought some furniture at "the dump" store a few weeks ago and that are is so old and just completely run down and conjested.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,385,422 times
It's not just the landfill, there is the Houston/Missouri City "antenna farm" with all the transmitters of all major television stations and major FM radio stations. I am concerned about the levels of radiated electricity in the area from the transmitters. These transmitters provide a public service to the entire metro area, so they are powerful--radiating a lot of electricity.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,579,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It's not just the landfill, there is the Houston/Missouri City "antenna farm" with all the transmitters of all major television stations and major FM radio stations. I am concerned about the levels of radiated electricity in the area from the transmitters. These transmitters provide a public service to the entire metro area, so they are powerful--radiating a lot of electricity.

I think this is about as dangerous as that cell phone pressed up against your ear.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstongal123 View Post
It is very true. There are alot of problems with the SCR development, it is very overpriced for what you get, also the tax rate is outrageous! And you can certainly smell the landfill , just go towards the back and spend a few minutes outside of your car - the smell is already there! The "Island" is this overpriced joke of properties, of which many dont even have views! most of these homes were involved in mortgate scams (where the buyer, seller and appraiser are all in it together- inflate the price of the home, the planted buyer (usually coked up t*tty dancers who dont care about their credit) buy the home from the "seller" who inflated the price by a good $200,000 because the appraiser is in on it as well and gets a cut.

take the money and run. The "buyer" loses her credit- she doesnt care- she got $50,000.

and it goes on and on and on. Lots of shady stuff in that development. My BIL is a popular realtor there but I don't want to name him.
*~*~*~*
Some awesome areas to buy in pearland is Lakes at Country Place (guarded/gated, LOW taxes, golf course, lake and lush landscaping- the best deals in houston bar none!)

or some parts of silverlake. Springbrook is nice.

Good luck in your hunt! You are wise to reconsider SCR! I too last year had a home that I was building in the kelsey pointe subdivision, but quicikly dropped it (realized that I did not at all like SCR and put the relocation on hold)
Ms. 123,

I've notice you've posted lots of negative comments about SCR. Sounds like you have a personal vendetta to me. Was it that you couldn't afford the tax rate (which has dropped) or the "overpriced" homes? You were obviously interested because you were looking for a home there and put down a deposit. The $200,000 increase on the appraisal sounds a bit much to me and I have yet to see a single exotic dancer running through the neighborhood. As for mortgage scams in general, it happened everywhere. What I haven't seen is a massive foreclosure of homes, so I guess we're not doing too bad are we? Good luck to you in Springbrook or wherever you are.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:14 PM

410 posts, read 1,670,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikentexas View Post
I have lived in SCR for over a year now and love it. The landfill was an issue but they were required to install a very involved system to eliminate odor and because of the media exposure, they are inspected weekly for toxins. Besides, its 2 miles from the dump to the center of SCR, you don't even see it so what is the difference? Houston is 11 miles and trust me there are sections much dirtier then the dump there

As for some of the other comments about the builders and the appraisers and the MTG. compaines working together, that is what they are supposed to do, help people get into their dream homes. My house was built by Meritage and they did an AMAZING job. Excellent quality and for a price that can't be touched anywhere in the area.

HMMMM? You a sales person by any chance?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:07 PM

377 posts, read 1,341,817 times
Any update on this issue guys ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston