U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,308 posts, read 2,134,679 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Sorry there buddy, staying in one place isn't something I do very well.
Weren't you planning on doing an East End (ie. Harrisburg/Navigation) photo tour soon? Be careful of all the MS 13 members when you're out there. I was visiting a client out there last week and the area was wall-to-wall with violent gang members. Or, maybe they were just people going to work. Whatever. They had skin darker than mine. In the mind of many here that must mean they're criminals. (Although my skin has gotten preeeetty dark what with all the sun we've had lately - maybe I'm also a criminal.)
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 AM
 
11,362 posts, read 17,223,185 times
Reputation: 5208
You're probably going to be robbing armored trucks before long.

Had a lot going on in the last week so I haven't been out there....yet.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Houston (Memorial) and Western NC
8,908 posts, read 15,161,338 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Weren't you planning on doing an East End (ie. Harrisburg/Navigation) photo tour soon? Be careful of all the MS 13 members when you're out there. I was visiting a client out there last week and the area was wall-to-wall with violent gang members. Or, maybe they were just people going to work. Whatever. They had skin darker than mine. In the mind of many here that must mean they're criminals. (Although my skin has gotten preeeetty dark what with all the sun we've had lately - maybe I'm also a criminal.)

Are there apartment complexes in East End? I hear apartment complexes are the things to be really scared of. They just ruin the whole white vibe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,308 posts, read 2,134,679 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Are there apartment complexes in East End? I hear apartment complexes are the things to be really scared of. They just ruin the whole white vibe.
Near the freeways, I-10 and I-45 both. But the East End proper, between York and Wayside, is full of awesome old houses. Most of them are tiny and utilitarian, but the hipster potential is near limitless with the area. Apartment complexes aren't impossible to locate out there, but they're not predominant. The white vibe should theoretically be safe, but those MS 13 cats are some crazy dudes. I know they are because I heard it on the TV news. They never overhype anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM
 
298 posts, read 610,089 times
Reputation: 114
Near Eastwood there are plenty of small complexes and and duplex/threeplex/fourplexes and the like. When I think of greater east Houston bad apartments, the first thing that comes to mind are the ones that flank Broadway all the way down to Hobby airport.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: The Lone Star State
5,055 posts, read 3,207,144 times
Reputation: 3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I hear apartment complexes are the things to be really scared of. They just ruin the whole white vibe.
How long are you going to poke people about this? Especially after being called out on HAIF more than once...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Houston (Memorial) and Western NC
8,908 posts, read 15,161,338 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
How long are you going to poke people about this? Especially after being called out on HAIF more than once...
Yes, my SIL told me that my city-data screen name here was mentioned there and linked me. I find it disturbing that someone would keep track of poster's jobs, neighborhoods, at various Houston websites to track down family members or friends of posters that **** them off. I'm not going to take this any further here, but leave her out of it. PM me if you must. Or really... don't.

PS- I just looked at that Architecture site again. What's happened? It's super hard to read now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: The Lone Star State
5,055 posts, read 3,207,144 times
Reputation: 3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yes, my SIL told me that my city-data screen name here was mentioned there and linked me. I find it disturbing that someone would keep track of poster's jobs, neighborhoods, at various Houston websites to track down family members or friends of posters that **** them off. I'm not going to take this any further here, but leave her out of it. PM me if you must. Or really... don't.

PS- I just looked at that Architecture site again. What's happened? It's super hard to read now.
I confused... what I gathered was that you posted there under another user name, and quite a few people had gotten ticked off by some of the posts. If indeed it's your SIL and not you (and that's almost even more scary) there's a case of mistaken identity only because your posts are very, very similar. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist or even a stalker to figure this out. When you make public as often as you/she does about where you live, size/cost of your house, type of car etc. almost as a way of bragging, especially when making controversial or judgemental posts about others, people tend to remember those things. It puts a bad taste in peoples mouths. People tend to remember the bad more than the good. And unless I'm mixing you up again with her or someone else, I remember you saying in the past you purposely enjoyed poking/prodding certain groups of people, such as outer suburbanites.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
327 posts, read 268,137 times
Reputation: 146
Just wanted to let everyone know I finally made it over to Best Buy today. I didn't think it was a bad area at all. I frequented places back home a lot worse and I didn't even think they were all that bad. Maybe I went on a good day? Or maybe Birmingham is a lot more dangerous than I previously thought. Anywho, things went very well and the employees there were some of the best I've encountered at Best Buy (maybe they were just happy I was there).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 07:35 PM
 
11,362 posts, read 17,223,185 times
Reputation: 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know I finally made it over to Best Buy today. I didn't think it was a bad area at all. I frequented places back home a lot worse and I didn't even think they were all that bad. Maybe I went on a good day? Or maybe Birmingham is a lot more dangerous than I previously thought. Anywho, things went very well and the employees there were some of the best I've encountered at Best Buy (maybe they were just happy I was there).
Perception > reality
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top