U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM

194 posts, read 220,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn911 View Post
Born and raised in Southern California.

Went to San Francisco State and then Cal State Northridge to get my degree in Emergency Medicine. ... Im not going to lie, the pay is horrible when compared to the cost of living in Southern California.
It really depends upon the department it seems. I was looking at becoming a police officer in the Bay Area and some departments paid very well, others not so great. The same seems similar in Southern California.

I have looked into the Houston Police Department and their pay seems to be pretty good for the area, you also get a nice educational bonus. Though I am moving to Houston with my company, becoming a police officer is a dream/idea I will keep simmering on the back burner. It will be a significant pay cut though. Good luck to you on your career aspirations!

I went to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA and majored in Business Administration with a concentration in Information Systems. I'm currently a database administrator for a large global corporation. I will eventually be getting a master's degree, but I'm not sure in what yet.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-06-2009, 11:22 AM

8,684 posts, read 13,654,975 times
SMU undergrad. 2 majors and a plethera of minors. SMU, MBA program. In O&G.

Exceedingly happy with job and pay.

Unread 07-06-2009, 12:46 PM

7,593 posts, read 16,317,052 times
Texas A&M here. Finished a BS and half an MS before getting burned out.

Currently working in Oil/Gas/Chem industry for an Engineering & Construction firm, on the project management team. Did the E&P side in the Galleria for a few years, been out on the construction site in lovely Port Arthur for over a year now and will probably be here for at least a couple more.

Unread 07-06-2009, 01:05 PM

14 posts, read 22,395 times
NYU - BA and MA English

Lead teacher

Yes and Yes

Unread 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM

461 posts, read 878,925 times
Cornell University

Double Major - Applied Economics & Management; Molecular & Cellular Biology

Real Estate Agent

Most of the time I like being an agent.
Pay is O.K.

Unread 07-06-2009, 01:37 PM

298 posts, read 561,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WVULAWGRAD View Post
Sounds like my undergraduate degrees. Do not let your kids major in any liberal arts! Shame I had to find out the hard way.
No way! If I stuck with my original plan of a BBA I'm sure I'd be at some boring desk job wanting to slit my wrists every day!

One of my undergraduate degrees was in Art History - while it wasn't pointing directly to a job, it sure helped out in the writing, analytical and critical analyses departments. The other was psychology which was just interesting to learn about brain/behavior. The certification was in nonprofit management - guess that filled in any "business" inklings I had left from freshman year..

Unread 07-06-2009, 02:10 PM

160 posts, read 396,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wvulawgrad View Post
sounds like my undergraduate degrees. Do not let your kids major in any liberal arts! Shame i had to find out the hard way.

amen!

Unread 07-06-2009, 03:45 PM

258 posts, read 493,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
Cornell University

Double Major - Applied Economics & Management; Molecular & Cellular Biology

Real Estate Agent

Most of the time I like being an agent.
Pay is O.K.
Were you planning on going to Med/Vet school?

Unread 07-06-2009, 03:50 PM

231 posts, read 562,337 times
Texas A&M - B.S. Genetics
Rice - Ph.D. Biochemistry and Cell Biology

Currently - Enterprise Architecture

pay and job are great and keep getting better.

Unread 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM

379 posts, read 360,181 times
Bachelor of Fine Arts - Art Major, Eng and Psych Minor, All-Level Art Ed Certification - U of H.

Master of Fine Arts in Studio Art - SHSU

Love what I do, but the pay could be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston