U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM

11,352 posts, read 17,193,173 times
Default Study: Houston ninth-worst in nation in traffic jams

Study: Houston traffic ninth-worst in United States - Houston Business Journal:

Hey, if you think it's bad here, it can be a lot worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:38 PM

5,589 posts, read 2,478,730 times
But wait? With all our roads and highways and inadequate public transportation shouldn't we be higher up on the last!?!?!?! Even with ATL's, Dallas', and Washington DC's public transportation, they still had higher congestion and we all have similar metro sizes.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
But wait? With all our roads and highways and inadequate public transportation shouldn't we be higher up on the last!?!?!?! Even with ATL's, Dallas', and Washington DC's public transportation, they still had higher congestion and we all have similar metro sizes.
I think it's a testament to our road and highway infrastructure more than anything. What it means though is we need to expand transit now before we gain more density (there is no fighting it, it's coming) and we start taking an hour just to get down the road a little ways like in LA.

It's difficult to compare Houston and DC. The metros are of similar size but you consider all the people in DC at any given time who don't live there as well. They are taking space on the roads.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 PM

5,589 posts, read 2,478,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I think it's a testament to our road and highway infrastructure more than anything. What it means though is we need to expand transit now before we gain more density (there is no fighting it, it's coming) and we start taking an hour just to get down the road a little ways like in LA.

It's difficult to compare Houston and DC. The metros are of similar size but you consider all the people in DC at any given time who don't live there as well. They are taking space on the roads.
Houston does have, arguably the best highway system in America and the rankings reflect that. Furthermore, I think people underestimate our HOV system as it had in 2003, about 210,000 people using it everyday. I am sure the amount of people that use it has increased as we've added more park&rides and added almost 500,000 to our metro since then.

DC and Houston are difficult to compare but the DC area invested heavily in commuter rail while neglecting highway construction. I think its important to have a balance of commuting options.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 PM

13,380 posts, read 14,401,841 times
I don't think it's that at all. You have to remember that DC only can take care of DC just as Houston takes care of Houston. DC is only 68 sq miles which is smaller than Houston's inner loop. The states of Virginia and Maryland is the one that didn't take care of it's freeway system. Not DC's fault that the area is where it is in traffic jams. The city didn't want to add more highway. They actually, IMO, have enough. Most of the problem for DC area in general is in NOVA.

Houston needs more rail, alot more.
DC needs more highway but not much more. Don't want to see this beautiful area paved over anymore than it is now.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I think its important to have a balance of commuting options.
Yes it is. I feel like our highway system is largely adequate right now, aside from 290. There are some problematic/outdated designs in interchanges, for example, the South Loop/Gulf Freeway. I'd also like to see 45 widened beyond Dixie Farm Road where traffic currently bottlenecks.

Density in the City of Houston has increased more than threefold in the last 20 years despite more suburban/ETJ annexation during that time period (e.g. Kingwood) and it's continuing, especially in and around the Inner Loop. All this data looks pretty good right now but it's not something to rest upon. It's important to get an inner city rail system that will later connect people commuting in preferably via heavy rail from the suburbs. LRT is better for shorter hauls, although I could see extending it well beyond the loop in some denser outer areas like the west side.

People are still going to drive, but there are going to be alternatives, and it will be for the better.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 PM

3,951 posts, read 4,764,107 times
We should be in top 4 I have sat in traffic for 45 min before because of someone chaing a tire on the side of the road

Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 PM

89 posts, read 50,823 times
We are 4th. Just saw it on the news.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6517928.html (broken link)

Quote:
After Los Angeles and Washington, the most congested metro areas were Atlanta, Houston, San Francisco, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Jose, Calif., and Orlando, Fla.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM

160 posts, read 430,861 times
Houston traffic is cake compared to what I dealt with over the last year in vegas. The freeway system is great... its just roads like richmond that are questionable.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
its just roads like richmond that are questionable.
Maybe they need to give up the NIMBY fight and accept rail, because it would also mean redoing that godawful road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston