U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 PM

99 posts, read 153,601 times
Default Please name a decent hotel that is centrally located in Houston.

I am visiting with my wife in a few weeks and we are going to try to see as much of the city as possible while there. I need a hotel that is reasonably priced ($60-85.00), safe, clean, and puts us near some good attractions. I think we will arrive too late to see an Astros game (think it starts at 1:00), but I have to check out the UH Law Center, some residential areas that are priced at about 150-185,000 (that are quiet, safe neighborhoods to raise a young family), the farmer's market, and anything that you would consider an essential part of what Houston and Texas are all about. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:42 PM

611 posts, read 1,113,534 times
I think you should find a hotel around galleria area, but I doubt you'll find one in the 60-85 price range.
Maybe the Marriott in the sharps town area. Not the safest area, but there are always cops in the parking lot, but the location is good close to highways and centrally located.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 PM

I found a hotel on hotwire for 57.00 dollars but it just tells you it is in the Houston Galleria area. I was wondering if the Galleria was close enough to everything because it seems to lay on the side of a loop (I think its the "Inner Loop?")

Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 PM

Well you don't want to be on the east side, the "center" of Houston is approximately galleria area and moving westward towards katy every year. I'd pick a hotel with easy access to a main highway since that is how you will get around in Houston.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 PM

I apologize, it is not called Marriott it is called the Hilton Hotel Southwest. I live shouting distance from it but next door is a strip club though.....

Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,123 posts, read 4,005,712 times
Default Central Hotels

There is a Hilton right on the U of H campus. Also a Hilton in Downtown Houston. You might also want to check out the Omni @ One River Way. I'm certain that the prices will be higher but the locations are great for being in "central" Houston. Too bad I am not in Houston I could be an excellent tour guide in my spare time since I know Houston like the back of my hand!

Good luck in your search

Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 PM

6,356 posts, read 9,176,731 times
For the price range you are looking in - it will be hard to find a SAFE centrally located hotel. Can you move up a bit in your price?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 PM

194 posts, read 240,449 times
When I visited last summer, my wife and I stayed at the Comfort Inn Downtown, which is just inside the outer loop on the Katy Fwy (I-10).

It was within your price range and we felt safe enough. It is next to train tracks though so if you are a light sleeper, the trains might keep you up. They didn't bother us at all.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:36 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,555,065 times
Your best bet is going to be something like the Hampton Inn/Medical Center. I stayed there before when visiting Houston. Clean, decent, centrally located and relatively safe (remember, it's a big city; don't be stupid. Don't leave anything on a car seat anywhere in any city that you can't live without, park in well-lit areas, don't walk about at 2:00 am, etc).

Hampton Inn Medical Center (as well as the corresponding Courtyard, etc) is very convenient for U of H excursions, a quick zip up the freeway to Galleria, Uptown, Midtown, Downtown.

I've noticed some hotels advertising "Galleria area" that aren't.

Houston is a very unique place. Due to lack of zoning and our general wackiness, you'll find ghetto slums directly next to extravagantly wealthy areas. Chimney Rock goes from half-million-dollar condos to ghetto by crossing one street. A hotel may advertise "Galleria Area", be in the shadow of the Transco Tower (nee Williams Tower), and be a total druggie zone.

However, checking La Quinta, there's a La Quinta Inn and Suites at San Felipe and the West Loop, and it's $85 a night! Your price range! I have actually stayed there too (before I moved back here) and it's fine; clean, nice.

Don't stay east of downtown.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:37 PM

The millionare homes next to ghetto areas sounds just like New Orleans. I appreciate the heads up about places to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston