Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM

99 posts, read 367,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
sorry, my bad. INS.
Same difference - they're still worried about taxes! The legality of your presence is pretty much secondary these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Not true. The right you don't exercise is the right you don't have or deserve. The guy is perfectly in the right legally. It's our unwillingness to secure our border brought us this crap.
Sure it is his right. But he was being a complete *sshole to this woman and she was being nice and remained calm. He deserved to be punched. And why would you want to exercise the right when it would be faster and easier to just comply with their requests and get on your way a lot sooner?

It is not like they were harassing him or asking anything rediculous of him. They were just doing their job.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM

298 posts, read 954,755 times
He was trying to make a point - maybe not in the best way, but still..

Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
3 dead between harris county sheriff and HPD last year.
BIIIIGGGGGG deal !

3 whole coppers were killed in their very very safe job? A very safe job as listed by OSHA.

I'm more worried about the 65 shootings by pigs of unarmed law abiding citizens. 189 shootings if you add in the surrounding cities.

The best part? No convictions. In other words, the pigs can do as they please because they are immune from the very silly little laws they jamb down the throats of us peasants. But some people feel this is ok. I dont, probably because I am right.

The worse punishment any domestic terrorist donut connoisseur ever got for shooting an unarmed law abiding citizen was paid desk duty. I see this as an incentive to shoot us all. Dont you?

Bottom line is there are no police to police the police and the abuse us peasants have to endure from those fat headed donut bellied idiots is way way out of control. And by the way HPD is no where near the worst pig brutality. Look up Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas....... In Vegas they handcuff you then make you turn around then blow your brains out.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
BIIIIGGGGGG deal !

3 whole coppers were killed in their very very safe job? A very safe job as listed by OSHA.

I'm more worried about the 65 shootings by pigs of unarmed law abiding citizens. 189 shootings if you add in the surrounding cities.

The best part? No convictions. In other words, the pigs can do as they please because they are immune from the very silly little laws they jamb down the throats of us peasants. But some people feel this is ok. I dont, probably because I am right.

The worse punishment any domestic terrorist donut connoisseur ever got for shooting an unarmed law abiding citizen was paid desk duty. I see this as an incentive to shoot us all. Dont you?

Bottom line is there are no police to police the police and the abuse us peasants have to endure from those fat headed donut bellied idiots is way way out of control. And by the way HPD is no where near the worst pig brutality. Look up Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas....... In Vegas they handcuff you then make you turn around then blow your brains out.
I tried to rep ya, but it said I had to spread some reps around first.
Why do so many people on here doubt this really happened?
But y'all will believe a poster on here who claims he can't get a job b/c of day laborers.
And then somehow the OP is to blame for just driving and minding his own business???
Some cop profiles him just to fulfill a quota, I'm sure.
This kind of stuff happens every day in this city.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,303 times
Quote:

What's your source for this information? It's very hard to believe, specifically the "law abiding" part.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 PM

247 posts, read 737,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
That guy is an idiot and needs to be punched in the face. He would of been able to leave two minutes earlier if he wasn't too stupid to make things more complicated than they needed to be.
Police officers aren't perfect and they aren't Gods. They are doing a job for money like everyone else who works. They have chosen a job with more inherent risks. I personally don't think that means they should get an automatic pass like you seem to advocate. There are a lot of people working in jobs that are dangerous. Think about the guys that repair power lines. We don't offer them instant deference.

There are some wonderful people who are police officers. But there are also some pretty scary characters with badges. The badge does not put them above the rules nor does it give them a higher status than everyone else. Why should law abiding members of the public tremble simply because they have encountered a person with a badge? Police officers should be shown respect but they should also show respect. Too often they use the bulldozer approach simply because they can.

The guy in the video was obnoxious and I would have simply answered her question. But obviously the border patrol agent wasn't legally entitled to do what she was doing or she would have detained him for refusing to answer her question. He was exercising his rights and I'm all about that.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Franklin first said this in the Pennsylvania Assembly's November 11, 1755 reply to the Governor, and it appears in The Papers of Benjamin Franklin v. 6, p. 242 (ed. Labaree).

Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
What's your source for this information? It's very hard to believe, specifically the "law abiding" part.
It was an article in the Houston Cron.

Wana hear how many private law abiding peasants....oops sorry I mean citizens have died from tazers?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer View Post
Police officers aren't perfect and they aren't Gods. They are doing a job for money like everyone else who works. They have chosen a job with more inherent risks. I personally don't think that means they should get an automatic pass like you seem to advocate. There are a lot of people working in jobs that are dangerous. Think about the guys that repair power lines. We don't offer them instant deference.

There are some wonderful people who are police officers. But there are also some pretty scary characters with badges. The badge does not put them above the rules nor does it give them a higher status than everyone else. Why should law abiding members of the public tremble simply because they have encountered a person with a badge? Police officers should be shown respect but they should also show respect. Too often they use the bulldozer approach simply because they can.

The guy in the video was obnoxious and I would have simply answered her question. But obviously the border patrol agent wasn't legally entitled to do what she was doing or she would have detained him for refusing to answer her question. He was exercising his rights and I'm all about that.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Franklin first said this in the Pennsylvania Assembly's November 11, 1755 reply to the Governor, and it appears in The Papers of Benjamin Franklin v. 6, p. 242 (ed. Labaree).

Excellent post, and for those calling police officers "pigs", I can't say they are any better than the officers with whom they take umbrage.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,303 times
Quote:
It was an article in the Houston Cron.
Can you give me the link? It's really hard to believe. I have a lot of respect for Police Officers and, though there's a bad apple here and there, I can't believe the statement that those people were law abiding citizens minding their own business and just get shot by a Police Officer for no reason. When someone gets shot it's because they are putting other people in danger, breaking the law, and not cooperating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston