Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
147 posts, read 489,376 times

Advertisements

So we are awaiting the home inspection on our house we are selling so we can get to Houston. I have never gone through this before, so am hopeing for some feedback about the process and my rights as the seller.

Our house is "move in ready", so to speak. We had it inspected a few years back and by a structural engineer before finishing our basement to make sure there were no red flags to invest in before we spent money. Everything came up good and what was questionable we fixed for ourselves. The sale price on our home is rock bottom, below anything we ever thought we would ever sell this house for, so we are not willing to give any concessions if an inspector comes in saying something needs to be done. The house is only 10 years old and built better than most in the area.

I guess my question is, do I HAVE to fix or adjust the price of anything they might find? Can I just say "no, take it or leave it"? I know these people who are buying the house are in a HUGE rush to move in AND they have been house hunting for a long time and it took 3 weeks to negotiate the price as it is, so I don't think they would walk away.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
AFAIK, rules will vary by state. In Texas, you don't have to do anything in response to the inspection report, per se, but you do risk the buyers walking away if there are enough problems, or the problems are material (whether safety or cost). Many buyers understand big problems from little ones, but there are always some who freak at any problems. You will find out soon enough when their counteroffer comes through.

In Texas, if there has been an inspection within xx months of listing (not sure of the exact time period), the seller is required to disclose the inspection report. So if there are problems, not fixing them will deter future buyers from even considering your property.

You are better off asking this in the PA forum, since it is more germain to your current location.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
147 posts, read 489,376 times
Good point about the PA forum...I shoulda thought of that!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,205 times
Default Home Inspection Questions - Exuhust hood no working in the house

I have a question related to house inspection. What if the Exhaust hood is not working and there is no way for smoke to scape from the kitchen. Is this a code violation/health violation? (if it's a code violation, does anyone know the code?).
My neighboor said non working Exhaust hood is a fire hazard because it will cause the fire alarm go off and I need to have it fix?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 PM

127 posts, read 400,518 times
eh? I don't know about this because can't you just open up the window?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM

682 posts, read 1,941,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan1 View Post
I have a question related to house inspection. What if the Exhaust hood is not working and there is no way for smoke to scape from the kitchen. Is this a code violation/health violation? (if it's a code violation, does anyone know the code?).
My neighboor said non working Exhaust hood is a fire hazard because it will cause the fire alarm go off and I need to have it fix?
An exhaust hood is not a requirement.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan1 View Post
The basic building codes do not have a requirement that a range exhaust duct is to be present. However if one is present there are requirements for its type, discharge, etc. Your local Building Inspections Department is allowed to make one required if they deem it appropriate. The local Code Enforcement Division might also have a requirement for one. The Code Enforcement Division is typically concerned with health and safety in general where the Building Inspections are concerned with safety requirements of the structure's build. The best person to answer your question first is the local Building Inspections Department. They might also be able to tell you if Code Enforcement has any requirements as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston