U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:40 PM

6,868 posts, read 12,973,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie
Mom2Feebs: We would all love for you to let us in on the names of all these wonderful mom and pops that you could eat at every single day for 365 days for 10 whole years and never have the same meal twice. We surely would love that... Other than some wonderful fine dining places, we saw only a plethora of franchises and the very, very, very occasional mom and pop restaurant.
I guess my first question should be who is "we"? Do you mean "you"?

Quote:
Funny, I lived in Bellaire--in the CENTER of Houston, the city Houston built around--and could not accomplish what you say you have: eating out at a different mom and pop restaurant for 365 days for ten years.
Well, I have to admit, I was posting that a bit tongue-in-cheek. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear enough. My point was, and will continue to be, that there are MANY restaurants, good restaurants, independently owned restaurants, in this city.

Quote:
I wonder how YOU are so gifted that you can do something that nobody else in the entire city of Houston has been able to do? How lucky you must be.
I dunno, I guess it's something I was born with. I never really thought about it before...but I guess all of my friends, family and co-workers, the Houston Press, Houston Chronicle, and Texas Monthly are all just as gifted, because the last time I checked, they all agree with me.

Luck has nothing to do with it, btw. Just an open mind and a sense of adventure.

Quote:
So, can you tell us where we can find these hidden restaurants? Could you share some of the names with the rest of us?
I only give it to clients to whom I am hawking houses. Sorry! (Kidding!! )

Quote:
We would love to try the ones you have been eating at, since you seem to have found what nobody else in the city of Houston has been able to find.
Wow, "nobody else in the city of Houston" can find a wide variety of restaurants? I have to say, in my 30+ years in this city, I have not heard that one. Again, check out the Chronicle, Press, Zagat, B4Ueat, Texas Monthly, Southern Living, etc...etc....etc....they all seem to disagree with you.

Seriously though-why so nasty? Come on, honey, pull the cork out and give us a grin! If you do, I promise I'll list my faves.

See? I can extend an olive branch, even under the toughest conditions.

All in good fun!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 07:56 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,493,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Sorry I believe the top-ranked restaurant was The French Room at the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas
And you would be correct. I believe the French Room is the only five star restaurant in Texas. What we're trying to say and what that Top Restaurant Cities list is saying is that Houston has more great restaurants than Dallas. Ouch.

This doesn't say much for me, though, because I think that my favorite restaurant in Texas would possibly be in Dallas. Sweet Georgia Brown BBQ on the south side.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM

31 posts, read 3,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I have lived in DC, Chicago and Houston (22 years in Houston and just moved). DC and Houston have NOTHING on Chicago restaurantwise.
Maybe someone can point me to all these wonderful restaurants in Houston that must be hidden?
I thought this article was a joke at first. Houston has some fine places, like America's, but...come on...it is primarily franchises there. One of the finest cites for restaurants in America? How bad are the restaurants in America then?
I'm not buying it....
Chicago has great restaurants, sure - if you want to pay more than $30 a plate, or you have a time machine going back anytime before 1995. After that is when the meat started tasting like plastic just about anywhere. Please explain how Houston is worse than this, I know people from both cities and I'm from the Chicago area.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 AM

1,999 posts, read 6,605,775 times
I lived in Chicago three years ago, and, trust me, I was not spending $30 a plate. Chicago, as you know if you have been there in the past years, hardly has any franchises at all INNERCITY, because rent/land to build them is just too darn high for the small profit you make on a franchise. That's why the city is loaded with small mom and pop type restaurants.
I have never lived in the suburbs in Chicago, so, for all I know, it could be a franchise paradise.
While living in the Gold Coast, I found alot of small type restaurants less than $15 a meal all around the most expensive area in town. Places I could walk to.
Now, if you want to talk housing and rent costs, Houston is IT allllll the way. Chicago is waaaay out of line for boomers to retire in unless they have some bucks...or had a house they sold in California. Alot of land = cheap housing prices. Granted, your property doesn't increase in value because of this much at all, and you can get better in other major cities; but, if that is not much of a worry for you, Houston is a great housing value for the money. Great.
Houston definitely has it's pluses: you can work out or walk Memorial Park all year around (almost...okay, maybe 2-3 months is pretty cold some years); there are fantastic cheap taquerias all over the city that are open at some ungodly hours due to the huge Hispanic population; some really great fine dining experiences; enough cultural events to keep one happy; some great library resources and so forth.
BUT, in my opinion, restaurants in the $15-20 per meal for one person is sorely lacking unless your idea of great food is Chili's or Olive Garden.
The transportation infrastructure will never equal other major cities (NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Portland, Boston and so forth). Houston is the largest city landwise in America, so it is just too darn big and expensive to build, I think. If you are into driving all the time, this is your city. 7.5 miles of light rail track doesn't cut it for 99% of the people living there. And it took them 20 years of talking to get that. Personally, I think they may expand the track in the future, but, by that time, I will be dead; because Houston has to add so many more residents to the area to make it pay off that it will take years and years.
And no roaming cabs like other major cities unless you live across the street from a Galleria or airport hotel. That could be a real negative to getting boomer retirees moving to Houston.
Like every city, Houston has some great things and some not so great things. To tout the city as having it "all" is unfair to those people considering moving here.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Houston is the largest city landwise in America
No it's not. I believe that both Jacksonville, Kansas City, and some place in Alaska have Houston beat.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,605,775 times
mpop409, you are right! Those son-of-a-guns lied to me.... Lesson learned.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:12 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,788,422 times
Should we plot all our tried and tested, hole-in-the-wall/mom&pop <$30/plate restaurants in google maps? its not only helpful when you find yourself starving at an unknown neighborhood, it just kinda demystifies the rest of Houston to its *locals*.
I'll be glad to maintain it

Old 06-22-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
No it's not. I believe that both Jacksonville, Kansas City, and some place in Alaska have Houston beat.
Correction...this is the list of the largest cities (by land area) in the U.S.:

Sitka, Alaska
Junea, Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska
Jacksonville, Florida
Anaconda, Montana
Butte, Montana
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston, Texas...

(Unfortunately, Houston is the largest major city in America, but Dallas, Los Angeles, and New York all ranked high.)

Old 06-24-2007, 11:40 AM

2,703 posts, read 387,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Indeed. It's good enough for me and quite a few other Houstonians. I don't eat Italian often (hardly ever). Italian isn't exactly our forte in Texas. The Houston Pavilions are going up across the street so it may get a fresh coat of paint, if it stays. I hope not. We like our hole in the walls down here, thanks. This ain't NYC. Accept it, move on, or move back!
Tried Carabba's? My sister is best friends with the nieces of the guy who started it. Pretty good restaurant. We usually get discounts when we go and he is there. Free pizza dough anyone?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,788,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Tried Carabba's? My sister is best friends with the nieces of the guy who started it. Pretty good restaurant. We usually get discounts when we go and he is there. Free pizza dough anyone?
The food took about an hour to come out when we were there. it bored the heck out of 5 kids and 8 adults from my table. it took about 30mins to get a table for my party. indeed its a popular restaurant in that area. I cant remember what I ordered but my wife liked the pizza. my diabetic friend seem to like one of their shrimp dishes. We'll try to weasel out of every dinner where this guy picks the restaurant j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston