U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:23 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,182,710 times
Carabba's: good food but had the same loooong wait.
America's has to be one of the best places in town, in my opinion. And the food, to me, is surprising inexpensive for the high quality. It was my favorite place of all actually. My only complaint is the noise factor, but the food...yum!
Pappasito's? What great TexMex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 AM

84 posts, read 542,027 times
We ate at the locally owned Simposio this past weekend. Great Italian, excellent service, no gimics, just great food and a good atmosphere. We have been looking for a decent Italian resturant since we have moved to Houston and this is the only one that is worth going out for. On the level of San Francisco/Ny. My wife admitted the osso buco was better than her own.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 PM

31 posts, read 337 times
When I said $30 a plate I wasn't referring to the trendy Lincoln Park or Andersonville eateries that no one except for those who can afford $1200 a month for one-bedroom apartments know about. Gold Coast restaurants are less than $20? Come on. Maybe at "Eat at Joe's" if want an overpriced burger but I can get one at the place they curse you put (forgot the name) which tastes better and a lot cheaper.

The fact is that I don't know the city, never wanted to know and I'm glad I moved out of the metro area. There aren't many national chains in the suburbs I can assure you that, there are only places owned by ma's and pa's of Sicilian, Greek or Polish descent who love to hire Mexicans to do all the work. I have it on good word that they leave jobs and get rehired so quickly, the ma's and pa's don't bother training them anymore.

Therefore, all the good restaurants are $30 a plate or more because I assume they don't practice this. Well I went back to the city for three years with 8 years of computer experience, and I got crap jobs.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-25-2007 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: offensive remark

Old 07-08-2007, 09:58 PM

11,204 posts, read 16,541,954 times
No Mexican restaurant in Houston (or anywhere) can top Taquerias Vallarta and Jaliciense in Texas City. As inexpensive as Arandas or Ruchi's but much better, and you'll wonder why you ever spent that much money at Pappasito's before. Too bad it's not someplace you'd actually pass by, unless you went for a fishing trip to the Texas City |)ike (can't spell it with a "D" on here) or you work there.

Or you grew up there. <3 ya TC.

Everyone sees the franchises and chains and their big signs, but those who know Houston and know Texas discover the hidden locally-owned gems that are around. For the people who aren't in the know - next time you're here, get off the freeway where all the Bennigan's and the Red Lobsters and the Steak and Ales are. Cruise Richmond and Westheimer, maybe after picking up a Houston Press (restaurant reviews in every issue, and online). Do all that and you're not far away from getting a fresh outlook on Houston's restaurant scene.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:20 AM

9 posts, read 29,164 times
Default Texas DOES STEAK - the BEST!

Kirby's in the Woodlands - for Steak. Also, Saltgrass excellent for Steak and those baby back ribs with choice of sauces. In Sugarland and another location a reasonable nicely decorated China Bear - chinese and american and seafood dishes - buffet style - amke your own ice creams too. Love the food in Texas - gained 10 lbs last week on vaction. Would love to move here soon.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 AM

84 posts, read 542,027 times
I have gained 25 lbs since I moved here 10 years ago. Before I lived in Texas, I never quite understood a Texan's love for a smoked brisket or good ribeye. Now as a 'naturalized' Texan I understand. There will never be any going back to low fat/lean soy fed meat more me!!! My children will have the benefit of being born and raised in Texas and know what the food here is all about. Houston has the added benefit of being an international city and therefore having fantastic food from around the world. Those of us fortunate enough to reside in Houston (or at least in Texas) are in a food lover's paradise!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 AM

500 posts, read 1,244,654 times
Who can recommend a great place for ribs?
I'm going to Houston soon, moving there actually.
I love ribs!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:06 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,516,803 times
anybody try that bbq shack literally under the westpark tollway(cor rice blvd)?
i'm also looking for houston's best korean bbq ribs! help, i miss NJ

Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 PM

168 posts, read 535,246 times
Reivax - There's a little place in Sugar Land off Hwy 6 at FM 1092 on the Kroger's side with really great ribs and brisket. Can't remember the name, small family place you have to know is there because you can't see it from the street. Sorry, it's closed on Sundays. I've heard good things about Goode Co. on I-10 but haven't been there myself.

For a few other great hole in the wall kind of places (I can't remember all the names) there's a Thai place in Rice Village, another on Westheimer with a wood deck next to Restoration Hardware, a burger place on Westpark between Chimney Rock and 610 that does buffalo meat and beef, Treebeard's downtown, Anti-Pasto's on Bellaire and Rice, Doyle's on W 34th, Roznovsky's on TC Jester and 34th, a sushi place on Fountainview and Westheimer, a cuban place near Bissonnet and Renwick, the list is really endless.

If you have someone walk up to you and ask if you want to buy a dozen tamales, say yes.

For a nice night out you can afford my favorites are Las Alamedas on I-10 and Rainbow Lodge near Memorial Park. Both have a great menu, nice bar and a view.

For that really special occassion, have money to burn and someone to impress, it's Cafe Annie, Tony's, Brenner's, Grille 5115, Morton's and many more I've never been able to afford.

Sorry if I left out any favorites, these are the ones I know.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:14 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,098,163 times
I must agree that Houston has many many restaurants however I have yet to find one where the food is to die for! I have been to various other cities throughout the U.S. and would not put Houston in my Top 10. While I've had some decent food here; , I have yet to be impressed. No disrespect to "native Texans" but the BBQ isn't really that great - i've had better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston