U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 07-24-2009, 01:21 PM

15,753 posts, read 17,565,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
you have a point, it can happen anywhere. I guess what I should have said is that it's more likely to happen at a TSU event than the other schools.

I was kind of off topic when I was speaking about the schools themselves, but I wasnt off base. I'm sure there are many fine educators and students at that school, but they are unfortunate to have to share the campus with kids and administration who do not truly value education. I know this first hand as I too used to attend an open admission school (tsu's cousin...LAMAR UNIVERSITY). Some people were there to learn, some people were there for an easy degree, and everybody else was just waisting their time (me). Luckily for me I had A LOT of financial aid so it was basically like community college for me.

And i have to disagree that TSU and CAU are the same.
My friend goes to CAU and she says it's just like TSU. They as well had problems keeping their accreditation. All you need is a 2.0 to attend and getting a 2.0 isn't hard to attain.

To EM, sure if you wanted to go into law it's always better to go to the school with the better reputation. I don't know too much about Thurgood Marshall School of Law, but I heard it isn't necessarily easy to get into. I do know that it was recently ranked as the most diverse school in law.

Unread 07-24-2009, 01:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,405,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
My friend goes to CAU and she says it's just like TSU. They as well had problems keeping their accreditation. All you need is a 2.0 to attend and getting a 2.0 isn't hard to attain.

To EM, sure if you wanted to go into law it's always better to go to the school with the better reputation. I don't know too much about Thurgood Marshall School of Law, but I heard it isn't necessarily easy to get into. I do know that it was recently ranked as the most diverse school in law.
Well i find your friend's comparison a bit odd considering the fact that not only is CAU a private institution but last I checked it's also a bit more expensive than any state college here in texas. And it's always ranked on the list of the best black schools.

If anything, i'd say its more easily compared to prairie view. But TSU to me is like a very large Morris Brown (which isnt an insult, just they parallel each other in so many ways).

By the way, what happened to MB was very sad and i hope that never happens with tsu.

Unread 07-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Well i find your friend's comparison a bit odd considering the fact that not only is CAU a private institution but last I checked it's also a bit more expensive than any state college here in texas. And it's always ranked on the list of the best black schools.

If anything, i'd say its more easily compared to prairie view. But TSU to me is like a very large Morris Brown (which isnt an insult, just they parallel each other in so many ways).

By the way, what happened to MB was very sad and i hope that never happens with tsu.
You should try reading CAU reviews. It' just as bad as TSU.

I'd recommend someone pick CAU over TSU, but if I were to suggest HBCU, I'd say Howard, Spellman, and Moorehouse. Clark isn't nowhere near a good school if you think TSU is bad.

Like I said, if you've never been to TSU, than you can't judge. Pretty good staff, and as well as opportunities. However, if you've never been here......you wouldn't know that. Someone would look at you like you were crazy if you told them TSU was like Morris Brown.

Unread 07-24-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You should try reading CAU reviews. It' just as bad as TSU.

I'd recommend someone pick CAU over TSU, but if I were to suggest HBCU, I'd say Howard, Spellman, and Moorehouse. Clark isn't nowhere near a good school if you think TSU is bad.
well I have to say that this is the first time in life I've ever heard the words "clark atlanta" and "bad" in the same sentence. I will definitely read these reviews youre talking about. Howard is considered the best school, and while Morehouse is cool for black men, I don't really agree with many of their principles.

Quote:
Like I said, if you've never been to TSU, than you can't judge.
Well who's judging? I mean I'm sorry if I offended your school, but I'm only speaking from info I've received. You don't have to attend a school to know its a place you wouldnt want to be.

Quote:
Pretty good staff, and as well as opportunities. However, if you've never been here......you wouldn't know that. Someone would look at you like you were crazy if you told them TSU was like Morris Brown.
That would depend on who I was talking to. Because I'm certain many people who know anything about the recent history of the two schools would agree that there are strong similarities.

And once again, I never said that there werent great students and teachers as well as opportunities at TSU. i'm sure many graduates will become very successful. BUT the school aint in good shape right now...the dorms are bat caves, clowns who don't belong in college are polluting the reputation, and that tragic scandal made the news nationwide. Not a good look.

I just think there needs to be more resources for the students who are there to learn. Because they deserve better.

I dont want you to think that I dont support TSU, but I just dont agree that its as good as CAU.

Unread 07-24-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
well I have to say that this is the first time in life I've ever heard the words "clark atlanta" and "bad" in the same sentence. I will definitely read these reviews youre talking about. Howard is considered the best school, and while Morehouse is cool for black men, I don't really agree with many of their principles.

Well who's judging? I mean I'm sorry if I offended your school, but I'm only speaking from info I've received. You don't have to attend a school to know its a place you wouldnt want to be.

That would depend on who I was talking to. Because I'm certain many people who know anything about the recent history of the two schools would agree that there are strong similarities.

And once again, I never said that there werent great students and teachers as well as opportunities at TSU. i'm sure many graduates will become very successful. BUT the school aint in good shape right now...the dorms are bat caves, clowns who don't belong in college are polluting the reputation, and that tragic scandal made the news nationwide. Not a good look.

I just think there needs to be more resources for the students who are there to learn. Because they deserve better.

I dont want you to think that I dont support TSU, but I just dont agree that its as good as CAU.
The difference between CAU and TSU is, one is open admissions. I've admitted CAU is better than TSU, but your kidding yourself if you think it's that much more superior. My bad for getting defensive, but its annoying when people down TSU without understanding its conditions. It's hard to be a top-rated school when it's open admissions.

The Students are what ruin the school, not the school itself.

Unread 07-24-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
The difference between CAU and TSU is, one is open admissions. I've admitted CAU is better than TSU, but your kidding yourself if you think it's that much more superior.
I dont remember saying it was much more superior, but then again it might depend on what youre looking for.

Quote:
My bad for getting defensive, but its annoying when people down TSU without understanding its conditions. It's hard to be a top-rated school when it's open admissions.
I know exactly what you mean.

Quote:
The Students are what ruin the school, not the school itself.
Students have their wrongs, but I feel a bulk of the blame goes to the administration and other powers that be.

Unread 07-24-2009, 06:10 PM

419 posts, read 1,048,480 times
Quote:
People can say what they want but I doubt anything of this nature would happen on the campuses of Clark Atlanta, Spelman, or Morehouse (maybe Morris Brown though).

I don't get it. What are the other states doing differently that their HBCUs are so well taken care of?

Where's Texas' highly esteemed black school?
I love the AUC, being that I am from Atlanta, but you are wrong. There have been a few random shootings either on campus or in common areas that were less than 15 feet from the campus.

Suspects in CAU Shooting Charged With Smyrna Murder - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

Atlanta Metro News*| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/07/08/clark_shootout.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)

Unread 07-24-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
I love the AUC, being that I am from Atlanta, but you are wrong. There have been a few random shootings either on campus or in common areas that were less than 15 feet from the campus.

Suspects in CAU Shooting Charged With Smyrna Murder - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

Atlanta Metro News | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/07/08/clark_shootout.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)
I already corrected myself a few posts back.

Besides, I never said it wouldn't happen ever. I had said that I "highly doubted". DOUBT, as in, you're not sure.

Unread 07-24-2009, 07:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,533,932 times
Quote:
What I don't think people understand is, it's open admissions, it's not hard to get into;
The pharmacy school is open admissions? If so, I'll have to make a point of avoiding pharmacists with TSU degrees.

Unread 07-24-2009, 07:59 PM

4,756 posts, read 6,413,276 times
I'd like to see all of you put your university up for debate. From all these posts you would think everyone in here graduated from an Ivy League school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston